+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, How to Create a Default profile within windows 8 in Technical; I have tried to create a default profile in windows 8; by using the same techniques as windows 7, but ...

Thank Post

How to Create a Default profile within windows 8

I have tried to create a default profile in windows 8; by using the same techniques as windows 7, but none of these work, is there a new way of doing this?

Thank you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rhedges View Post
    I have tried to create a default profile in windows 8; by using the same techniques as windows 7, but none of these work, is there a new way of doing this?

Thank you.
    Which techniques did you use?

I am not sure what the methods are in Windows 8, the only supported Windows 7 method was copying the default profile from a sysprepped installation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Which techniques did you use?

I am not sure what the methods are in Windows 8, the only supported Windows 7 method was copying the default profile from a sysprepped installation.
    Have create a default user (default8) logged in setup desktop and personal settings, logged out to save settings, logged back in as administrator renamed Default to Defaultold, renamed Default8 to Default.

This worked fine in Windows7 but windows8 get profile service unable to start or get logged in with temporary profile.

Thank Post
    Have you got any particular need to setup user profiles in this manner?

For pretty much everything you can set it up through GPOs these days (printers/wallpapers/custom office settings etc).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rhedges View Post
    Have create a default user (default8) logged in setup desktop and personal settings, logged out to save settings, logged back in as administrator renamed Default to Defaultold, renamed Default8 to Default.

This worked fine in Windows7 but windows8 get profile service unable to start or get logged in with temporary profile.
    That method isn't supported anymore, you have to (for Windows 7) install Windows 7 to a station, customise the admin profile, then sysprep the image. THEN when you deploy the image set the copyprofile=true property in the sysprep XML file.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That method isn't supported anymore, you have to (for Windows 7) install Windows 7 to a station, customise the admin profile, then sysprep the image. THEN when you deploy the image set the copyprofile=true property in the sysprep XML file.
    How would this method work with SCCM for example? How do you edit the sysprep xml? (Im trying to get default profile working with win8)
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 15th March 2013 at 04:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Its the unattend.XML which needs editing. Have you integrated MDT and SCCM?

8. Thanks to Jamo from:

RabbieBurns (15th March 2013)

Thank Post
    you can do it without using MDT/SCCM but both give you the templates for the unattend.

1st time i experimented with automation i just installed the Windows AIK to build my unattend.xml files and ran them on the machine as part of sysprep.
    once you done this MDT ect becomes easier to use imo and you are already familiar with the config files and the process going on behind the GUI

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its the unattend.XML which needs editing. Have you integrated MDT and SCCM?
    I hadnt. Have now.

I assume its the new MDT Task sequence that gives all the extra required options?

Thank Post
    Yeah so in the task sequence editor, customize the unattend.XML file (it does use the AIK here and MDT isn't required as such, but it makes the editing process easier)

The process is described here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

Basically what I would do is use a deploy and capture sequence and pause the deployment just before MDT does the capture. Customize the profile as you want and resume and capture the image. The resulting profile is complete and should work correctly.

Pausing a task sequence is covered here http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymen...-sequence.aspx

12. Thanks to Jamo from:

RabbieBurns (18th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks,

I already have a reference computer ready to be captured I just need to sort the default profile so don't really want to go through a whole deploy task again, will just try adding in the CopyProfile step to the unnatend..

Thank Post
    You add copyprofile to the unattend on the image being deployed so thats fine. Customise the Administrator profile, and ensure that the local admin is the last login which is used on the station (otherwise copyprofile will copy the wrong profile to default)

15. Thanks to Jamo from:

RabbieBurns (19th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok thats good. But I'm afraid I might need baby-steps for this one.

I have a laptop ready to be captured. I have SCCM with MDT added. I have the capture media ready to run on the reference laptop. Where do I find the unattend.xml I dont see an option to edit it in task sequence editor...

I log in as local admin in audit mode, customize the profile, then run the capture task from the capture media?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Ok thats good. But I'm afraid I might need baby-steps for this one.

I have a laptop ready to be captured. I have SCCM with MDT added. I have the capture media ready to run on the reference laptop. Where do I find the unattend.xml I dont see an option to edit it in task sequence editor...

I log in as local admin in audit mode, customize the profile, then run the capture task from the capture media?
    K, I use MDT on its own so apologies if this isn't quite there...

Capture the station using the capture media.

Import the WIM into MDT, or add it so you can use it in SCCM to deploy

In the task sequence window on MDT there is a 3rd tab on the top of the Window which you can edit the unattend.xml which is used, add copyprofile to that xml file.

When deploying the new image it should copy the admin profile over the default profile in the image and it should be ok...

Personally I am not sure why MS can't just make a normal tool which takes 5 mins over this method which admittedly takes ages!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    K, I use MDT on its own so apologies if this isn't quite there...

Capture the station using the capture media.

Import the WIM into MDT, or add it so you can use it in SCCM to deploy

In the task sequence window on MDT there is a 3rd tab on the top of the Window which you can edit the unattend.xml which is used, add copyprofile to that xml file.

When deploying the new image it should copy the admin profile over the default profile in the image and it should be ok...

Personally I am not sure why MS can't just make a normal tool which takes 5 mins over this method which admittedly takes ages!
    I'm not sure where that is in the settings in SCCM because I cant find the tab to edit the unattend.xml .. does @FN-GM or @TheScarfedOne use unattend.xml with sccm2012?
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 20th March 2013 at 12:04 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast