+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 8 Thread, Surface (Win RT) in Education... in Technical; Originally Posted by RichCowell The Microsoft Surface comes with Office 2013 pre-installed, shouldn't need to be covered by EES / ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichCowell View Post
    The Microsoft Surface comes with Office 2013 pre-installed, shouldn't need to be covered by EES / alternative licensing... Apparently other manufacturers won't be allowed to package it with Office... Whether that'll still be the case when the others really get going with it I don't know... Surely M$ wouldn't try to make money in any way? :-p
    It's not full office though, it's home and student edition only.

Final Office Home & Student 2013 RT version will be installed via Windows Update when available (free download; ISP fees apply). Some features and programs unsupported. See http://office.com/officeRT; commercial use license sold separately

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-GB/business/home
    So guessing you need the "commercial use license" however you cover it, e.g. EES/Single licenses etc etc

Steve
    Last edited by Steve21; 9th January 2013 at 08:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Aah yes... I hadn't spotted that... We've published the Office Apps on the TS, so they'll be used more than the packaged apps...

If they're for students' use though as someone mentioned previously, that should cover them...

Thank Post
    As far as I'm aware, Office 2013 is only going to be pre-installed on the Microsoft devices, and not other manufacturers when they get going with it... so it is likely to involve extra licenses in some way, unless they're going to use Office published from a Terminal Server... which works nicely...
    Not sure... my understanding was that Office 2013 was "part of" Windows RT and that all RT devices would include it. I was looking at the details of the Asus VivoTab RT which includes a "preview" version of Office 2013. And according to Office Home & Student RT Preview - Office.com this can be upgraded "for free" to the release version. As for licensing, yes it's not for commercial or business use. And I guess they don't want schools purchasing them just for classroom use, as they'd prefer you to buy a full Office license, but if they're being used at home as well, perhaps that might be OK?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    As for licensing, yes it's not for commercial or business use. And I guess they don't want schools purchasing them just for classroom use, as they'd prefer you to buy a full Office license, but if they're being used at home as well, perhaps that might be OK?
    I guess it depends how the tablets are being purchased - if the school's buying them for the pupils then licensing may be an issue, but if it's one of those schemes where parents pay so much a month then keep them at the end, then they're the pupils' devices so licensing shouldn't be an issue...

As for staff use, aren't teachers eligible to buy Student editions anyway? (or was that an old version of Student/Teacher edition?) They're only going to be advantageous in schools with the Terminal Servers to publish apps to benefit from the shared drives/printers anyway, so it could be argued that Office is redundant on them, in school anyway, so anything else would just be personal use...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    RT is becoming a bit more usable, provided you compile the apps yourself
    A jailbreak tool has now been released.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36529478

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    A jailbreak tool has now been released.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36529478
    Microsoft are already planning a fix though...
    Microsoft Actually Applauds Hacker For Windows RT Jailbreak Attempt - Forbes
    Last edited by RichCowell; 11th January 2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Correcting typo :-\

Thank Post
    Just wondering if anyone else has got a Surface here and had to rely on document auto-recovery in the pre-loaded Office 2013? One of the users here was working on a large Word document, until his battery died... hadn't saved it, but it didn't recover...

Seemed strange to me, but I'll test it when I can leave the battery to die...

Thank Post
    Just wondering if anyone else has got a Surface here and had to rely on document auto-recovery in the pre-loaded Office 2013? One of the users here was working on a large Word document, until his battery died... hadn't saved it, but it didn't recover...
    I finally managed to find a suitable time to run the battery down while I was with it working on a dummy document... It only recovered the first line of the file, but didn't prompt me to do anything with it - I had to look for it in File - Recover Unsaved Documents... Not too impressed with the pre-loaded Office 2013 so far!

Thank Post
    Couldn't find this mentioned on other posts, so thought I'd resurrect this old one...

Has anyone bought a Surface through the MS Store? They're doing discounts for teachers/students/educational establishments, but apparently not high schools...

Just wondering if anyone's done it - how they did it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123