+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Surface (Win RT) in Education... in Technical; Originally Posted by RichCowell when it's on standby, it doesn't sync mail etc. so you lose the benefits of the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichCowell View Post
    when it's on standby, it doesn't sync mail etc. so you lose the benefits of the tablet...
    Once Microsoft starting using Intel's fourth-gen Haswell processors, the Surface Pro will support connect standby which enables it to sync things in standby (although only in Metro apps I think).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Surface (Win RT) in Education...

Haswell really is mythic at this point, Intel had better be able to deliver or there are going to be a lot of irate people, me being one. Still it would give and a window to save themselves, their low power line is not that bad and has potential.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Talking to a friend who lives in the same village as myself over the Christmas period, he works for Microsoft Education so I always enjoy a bit of a chin wag about things (not sure if he groans when he sees me though! ). While he praises (obviously) the Surface, he's a little baffled by it all when he listed a whole load of a manufacturers who do Windows tablets already, many Windows 8 certified already namely Lenovo and Dell. He also is raving about the new Cloverleaf chipset from Intel. Also mentioned the connected standby which is allowing these devices to last for over three weeks in this state. I've been ribbing him about Windows 8, and he just sees it as a very brave stake in the ground with which way Microsoft are going. Interesting stuff - funny though we have to rely on Remote Apps to run how we want things.

We've managed so far to avoid everthing tablet within our school (either Apple, Microsoft or 'droid) - it just hasn't really been asked for, so we're not getting them in just for the sake of getting them in. However, got myself a Google Nexus 7 for Xmas so may have a play over the coming months and see what we can and can't and won't and want to do.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    funny though we have to rely on Remote Apps to run how we want things.Pete
    Surely Remote Apps will be the best way, for a while at least, of accessing the various bits of software needed on the tablets?
    It saves installing/maintaining software on all the devices... so far we've only got 7 apps published, and only for 3 devices at the moment (other than SIMS which is how we access SIMS across the school)... but it's already easier than setting them all up individually or imaging them...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Surely Remote Apps will be the best way, for a while at least, of accessing the various bits of software needed on the tablets?
    It saves installing/maintaining software on all the devices... so far we've only got 7 apps published, and only for 3 devices at the moment (other than SIMS which is how we access SIMS across the school)... but it's already easier than setting them all up individually or imaging them...
    True - we use it here for the report writing software (AIM High) for when teachers want to be able to access from home. Outside of the report cycle the server sits idle, may start employing it more.

Pete

Thank Post
    It's the ease with which it accesses the remote apps... and the fact that you've got (assuming you get one of the keyboards) a keyboard & touchpad to use the software designed for a PC, which has always been a flaw of accessing them from devices without... (I know you can get bluetooth keyboards for iPads, but they're not as responsive, and you don't get the touchpad... ) Trying to use SIMS via something like iTapp on an iPad was a nightmare... on Surface it's just as easy as using it on a laptop... and you can access the published apps directly from icons rather than having to go through an RDP session...
    That makes more sense, was assuming it'd still need an app/remote desktop for RT style surface.

Out of curiosity, had any breakages that need to be fixed yet? Wondering how easy to replace/fix bits are, as one site I was reading seems to think not very easy at all

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Out of curiosity, had any breakages that need to be fixed yet? Wondering how easy to replace/fix bits are, as one site I was reading seems to think not very easy at all
    Steve
    No breakages as yet, but we've only got the Head, Executive Head & myself using them so far... However I can't imagine they'd be easy to repair - other than swapping the keyboard... But then that just makes them the same as most other tablets available... I'm not sure what the repair service would be like, one thing in favour of Apple would definitely be the Apple Care - though we've never had to use it, I know others that have and it's always sounded quite quick & easy...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    RT is becoming a bit more usable, provided you compile the apps yourself:
    Windows RT jailbroken to run third-party Desktop apps | ExtremeTech

Thank Post
    That looks intriguing... Not a great solution for general use (if we were to roll out Surface to the staff like we've rolled out iPads), but for the odd user with a specific need that can't be met using RDP, it may be worth doing...

I'm still really impressed with it generally... Got a call from one of the heads yesterday asking how he prints from it and was quite impressed when I added his office printer and showed him how easy it was...

Thank Post
    Interesting thread. We are considering trialling RT devices with a small number of students for them to use at school and take home. Agree with what people have said about the Pro devices being more versatile, but they are likely to also be a lot more expensive. The RT devices are expensive enough as it is. As I see it there are several advantages to these RT devices:

• Office 2013 built in, no need to buy extra licenses
    • Remote Desktop client built in, can therefore run other software if needed
    • Can't install software except via the Windows app store - no worries about students installing unlicensed or other undesirable software
    • No malware or viruses (yet) as it can't run x86 binaries
    • Battery life much better than x86-based laptops or tablets

Thank Post
    It was promising...

Microsoft applauds Windows RT jailbreaker, hints at future fix | The Verge

The process involved for running desktop apps on Windows RT is fairly complex, and Microsoft acknowledges that it's "not something the average user could, or reasonably would, leverage as it requires local access to a system, local administration rights and a debugger in order to work." The company is also not guaranteeing that the vulnerability "will be there in future releases" of Windows RT, indicating that it plans to patch the flaw in future.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    Interesting thread. We are considering trialling RT devices with a small number of students for them to use at school and take home. Agree with what people have said about the Pro devices being more versatile, but they are likely to also be a lot more expensive. The RT devices are expensive enough as it is. As I see it there are several advantages to these RT devices:

but only for personal use not business/education and wether ees covers it i have no idea as ms licensing is written by madmen

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Surface (Win RT) in Education...

I still have not found a rt device cheaper than the x86 ones, why not just go with the atom ones or are you guys way less boned buy suppliers and your government than us, on average the atom ones are 20% less than the arm ones in NZ.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    We are considering trialling RT devices with a small number of students for them to use at school and take home.

As I see it there are several advantages to these RT devices:

They definitely seem the better option for pupils in class compared to iPads because of the ease of accessing network drives / printers...

As far as I'm aware, Office 2013 is only going to be pre-installed on the Microsoft devices, and not other manufacturers when they get going with it... so it is likely to involve extra licenses in some way, unless they're going to use Office published from a Terminal Server... which works nicely...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    but only for personal use not business/education and wether ees covers it i have no idea as ms licensing is written by madmen
    The Microsoft Surface comes with Office 2013 pre-installed, shouldn't need to be covered by EES / alternative licensing... Apparently other manufacturers won't be allowed to package it with Office... Whether that'll still be the case when the others really get going with it I don't know... Surely M$ wouldn't try to make money in any way? :-p

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast