+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Pro - Surface Pricing Released $899 (64GB) / $999 (128GB) in Technical; For those of you who are waiting for the Surface Pro Pricing, It appears that they have announced the pricing ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows 8 Pro - Surface Pricing Released $899 (64GB) / $999 (128GB)

For those of you who are waiting for the Surface Pro Pricing, It appears that they have announced the pricing in the USD but I can't see anything at present for GBP.

TechNet Blogs

:-)

What are you thoughts on that outcome?

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 29th November 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Means it will probably be around £600 here which is just to much.

Thank Post
    We are yet to find out what the market will offer but Asus has been doing this for years with its Tranformer Android Devices. This is an article saying circa $499 for the Vivo Smart or $799 for the all singing Vivo Tab.

Asus introduces VivoTab, VivoTab Smart Windows 8 tablets for $499 and up - Liliputing

Also Samsung are bringing to market the AITV Smart but that looks a little pricier at the moment.

Don't forget this isn't Apple (A Dictatorship), we will have choice (A Free Market) and Hardware manufacturers will compete to bring prices down,increase choice and bring innovation too improve on design.

Never be the first adopter of technology always wait a little you'll save oodles of cash and if you can wait for SP1 save alot of pain!
    Last edited by TotalGeek; 29th November 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Too expensive. Dell latitude 10 looks more realistic.

$600

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Too expensive. Dell latitude 10 looks more realistic.

$600
    You will also get them cheaper than that if you deal with your account manager directly.

Thank Post
    To be fair those are pretty much the prices we were expecting. MS were never going to undercut other OEMs by any kind of margin and the surface pro was always positioned to be a high end product. I'm surprised they bothered releasing a 64Gb version of it though. Windows 8 Pro, a full office install plus a couple of apps will just about fill that on its own! It'll be interesting to see how the i5 fares in the battery/performance tests compared to the atom CPU's.

I think the biggest problem for the Surface Pro is that Haswell CPU's are about to launch in a couple of months time and it's hard to contemplate spending a grand on it knowing that it'll be out of date in a month or two. Tegra 4 is also out in Q1 2013 so I'm betting on a MS Surface RT/Pro hardware refresh within the next 6 months!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really, you're thinking about £600 would be too expensive for a tablet with an i5 processor and 4GB RAM, with a 1080p screen is too expensive? Seems like it'd be a good price to me. The Dell Latitude is a much more poorly specced machine being 1366x768 resolution, with an Atom processor and 2GB RAM.

For the first time with a tablet type device, since UMPCs, I'm tempted by one.

Thank Post
    Microsoft says the Surface Pro will have 'approximately half the battery life' of the Surface RT | The Verge

Hmmmm, looks like my worst fears are confirmed. 4 hours battery life for a tablet/laptop these days is pretty much useless TBH. Roll on Haswell.....
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 29th November 2012 at 11:41 PM.

Thank Post
    The Dell is 600 of Uncle Sam's best, so probably ~£400.

The Surface Pro isn't outrageously priced for what it is - I just don't think there'll be many buyers. The Dell goes head to head with an iPad. The question is whether it's good enough at what people want from an iPad to win a place in managed networks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    It's way too expensive for a tablet. I don't think people are willing to pay that much, no matter what its specifications are on paper.
    The RT was more reasonably priced and that's already turned out to be a massive flop with manufacturers halving their production

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It's way too expensive for a tablet.
    I don't really understand the comments saying it's 'too expensive for a tablet'. I mean it's a full on ultrabook spec windows x86 PC with core i5, 128Gb SSD and a 1080p touch-screen. It has a detachable keyboard/stand that basically turn it into a full on laptop and any ultrabook with similar spec would probably retail for that price or higher?

It's just a shame that the battery life seems so poor.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 29th November 2012 at 11:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They really should be selling it as a loss leader, go in and seriously undercut their competition and force their way into the market, but that doesn't seem to be their plan.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    I don't really understand the comments saying it's 'too expensive for a tablet'. I mean it's a full on ultrabook spec windows x86 PC with core i5, 128Gb SSD and a 1080p touch-screen. It has a detachable keyboard/stand that basically turn it into a full on laptop and any ultrabook with similar spec would probably retail for that price or higher?

It's just a shame that the battery life seems to poor..
    I dont think that's how joe public sees it. Its not going to be any better on facebook. And would you really want a tablet as your gaming machine? or to use at work 8hrs per day on a screen like that? Id rather spend less on a secondary device.

Thank Post
    I dont think that's how joe public sees it. Its not going to be any better on facebook. And would you really want a tablet as your gaming machine? or to use at work 8hrs per day on a screen like that? Id rather spend less on a secondary device.
    Apart from gaming I reckon if you connected the Surface pro to a large monitor it would be perfectly usable as your only computer. To be fair the Surface Pro was never really aimed a Joe Public in general as most folks aren't willing to spend more than £400-500 on a computer unless it has an fruit themed logon on the front !

If you want to see expensive look at what Dell are trying to peddle for £1000 and tell me the surface still sounds expensive....

XPS 12 convertible 12" touch Ultrabook

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It isn't aimed at Joe Public though is it, and it certainly isn't aimed at gaming as the HD 4000 GPU is good but not *that* good? Its aimed at business, where most of the time, it'd be 'docked'. It wouldn't be a secondary device, it'd be a portable desktop. So, in the office you stick it on the desk, plugged into a monitor, and then when you're out and about, you've still got all that power but in a small form factor. Very much like their future vision ideas - where everything is a peripheral to your single device. Whilst at the same time being manageable through existing infrastructure and without a massive learning curve to integrate into your network.

EDIT: Also, this same idea would also make them ideal as a replacement for teacher's laptops. Schools are dabbling with iPads but regularly bump into issues of compatibility or flexibility, but with one of these, they would work with IWBs, projectors, would be able to have the keyboard for periods of extended typing, and would also have the tablet interface when they want to wander round the room with it in their hand. The possibilities are actually pretty good IMO. I'm probably going to try and get one for work to have a play with (first time I'll ever have asked for a piece of 'new' kit to play with like this, in a purely 'blue skies' manner).
    Last edited by localzuk; 30th November 2012 at 12:08 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast