+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Pro - Surface Pricing Released $899 (64GB) / $999 (128GB) in Technical; I am more inclined to see how I get on with an Atom device especially if they are priced right. ...
    Thank Post
    I am more inclined to see how I get on with an Atom device especially if they are priced right. I have a powerful desktop for gaming/video at home and decent workstation at work. This would be for everything else. Check out the specs on the Asus VivoTab some reports of pricing at Edited:$799 which blows the i-pad out of the water as it includes the keyboard/extra battery.

Meet VivoTab? Series ? Three new Windows 8 Tablets designed for both work & play

These will be great in schools 19 hours of battery life. Access to files/printers/flash/apps/old programs/usb. I would still keep my IWB Workstations why get rid of something that works?
    Last edited by TotalGeek; 30th November 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TotalGeek View Post
    I am more inclined to see how I get on with an Atom device especially if they are priced right. I have a powerful desktop for gaming/video at home and decent workstation at work. This would be for everything else. Check out the specs on the Asus VivoTab some reports of pricing at $499 which blows the i-pad out of the water.

Meet VivoTab? Series ? Three new Windows 8 Tablets designed for both work & play

These will be great in schools 19 hours of battery life. Access to files/printers/flash/apps/old programs. I would still keep my IWB Workstations why get rid of something that works?
    Those look good, the 19h life sounds decent too and the build quality looks better than the Acer. Still waiting on these (x86) with 3G/4G data reception, have not seen any out yet with this feature. Like that it has a proper stylus to.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 30th November 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Thank Post
    I use a three usb dongle for my 3G so it is not a game changer for me. It's not an iPad it's got USB that modern thing that you can plug things into.
    Last edited by TotalGeek; 30th November 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Thank Post
    I really like the look of the Asus Vivotab 'transformer' style Windows 8 tablets. Seems like a much better design then the surface and the additional battery life when using the dock would be really handy. Having said that there's nothing on the horizon that's really tempting me to part with my cash so I've decided to buy a 128Gb SSD drive for my existing laptop (Dell M101z) which it looks like I'm going to be hanging onto for a bit longer!
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 30th November 2012 at 10:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Those look good
    The battery life is good in the VivoTab, but the RAM (2GB), screen resolution (1366x768), storage (64GB eMMC) and absence of any USB 3.0 ports are disappointing. The Surface Pro has 4GB RAM, USB 3.0, 1920x1080 LCD and a proper SSD!

I suppose it comes down to whether you need performance or long battery life.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The battery life is good in the VivoTab, but the RAM (2GB), screen resolution (1366x768), storage (64GB eMMC) and absence of any USB 3.0 ports are disappointing. The Surface Pro has 4GB RAM, USB 3.0, 1920x1080 LCD and a proper SSD!

I suppose it comes down to whether you need performance or long battery life.
    screen res on a 10" screen isnt bad you could argue higher would be worse as it makes things smaller

ram wonder if its upgradeable ditto storage i have an unused 128gb ssd

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    ram wonder if its upgradeable ditto storage i have an unused 128gb ssd
    AFAIK all of the clover trail atom based Windows 8 tablet only support up to 2Gb of RAM (which I doubt would be upgradeable anyway) and it's unlikely there's a drive bay to accommodate a larger SSD either. I suspect it'll just be NAND memory chips soldered onto the motherboard.

In fact despite singing it's praises for the last month I'm starting to go off Intel's clover trail atom. The 2Gb memory limit is a serious problem and it only seems to officially support the 32-bit version of Windows8 which is a worry for future hardware and software support.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 2nd December 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    AFAIK all of the clover trail Atom based Windows 8 tablet only support up to 2GB of RAM (which I doubt would be upgradeable anyway). I suspect it'll just be NAND memory chips soldered onto the motherboard.
    The Atom processors used in Windows 8 tablets are designed for smartphones so the 2GB RAM limit does make sense (unfortunately). It is also soldered to the motherboard.

The memory controller remains a dual-channel LPDDR2-800 design. Most tablets will see two 1GB devices populating the channels. Package on package (PoP) stacks will be used for DRAM and SoC integration, similar to what you see in a smartphone. (Source)
    it only seems to officially support the 32-bit version of Windows 8 which is a worry for future hardware and software support.
    The reason for sticking with the 32-bit version of Windows 8 is due to 64-bit Windows not supporting 'Connected Standby'.

Connected standby is only currently supported by 32-bit Windows 8, so although Clovertrail supports x86-64 the platform will launch as 32-bit only. There's no support for alternate OSes at this point.
    The use of eMMC is also a little worrying as performance tends to be quite bad.

The platform supports true connected standby, meaning Intel's new S0ix sleep states (similar to what was announced in Haswell). I realized I haven't yet detailed what these mean yet but in short on DC power you can expect polling roughly every 30 seconds for new data (incoming emails, tweets, etc...) delivering an experience somewhat similar to a smartphone. Off-SoC device drivers need to support Windows 8 run time power management (RTPM) to support these new low power sleep states. Intel claims that in its lowest platform sleep state (S0i3) the SoC's power consumption is below 2mW.

The SoC doesn't support SATA, just eMMC like most other smartphone/tablet SoCs. This is a bit of a disappointment as most eMMC controllers are pretty bad, but Intel tells us they've been working to improve things with the controllers that are out there.

There's no USB 3.0 support, Clovertrail just supports two USB 2.0 ports (OTG + xHCI, although OTG isn't supported by Windows 8). OEMs can obviously integrate hubs in any docking stations they may build. (Source)
    In fact despite singing it's praises for the last month I'm starting to go off Intel's clover trail Atom.
    Me too, especially since Haswell-based tablets should be released in March 2013. That's not long to wait!

Thank Post
    It all depends what you are shopping for. I am looking for a device that is similarly spec'd to an ipad but has domain connectivity. So battery life, portablity and useability are important. My school are never going to go for devices at the Ultrabook end of the market.

Much as I would like one I could never justify it for cost reasons.

Same reason why Apple devices cannot be justified for cost reasons but also because they don't fit it to your average schools infrastructure.

We will be looking at mid-end devices that have windows pro but don't cost the earth.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Assuming your using solid state memory instead of hard disks which I think all these devices do, 2gb of RAM is plenty. Upgrading to 4gb RAM with give virtually no noticeable increase in performance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 961 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Assuming your using solid state memory instead of hard disks which I think all these devices do, 2gb of RAM is plenty. Upgrading to 4gb RAM with give virtually no noticeable increase in performance.
    eMMC is far from the cream of solid state storage though :/ and 2Gb may be enough now, but with RAM so cheap these days I expect developers will start assuming more. Limiting a platform to 2Gb in 2012 is just stupid.

Well, not so much stupidly as artificially limited. Yay Intel.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Assuming you're using solid state memory instead of hard disks
    eMMC sucks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    eMMC is far from the cream of solid state storage though :/ and 2Gb may be enough now, but with RAM so cheap these days I expect developers will start assuming more. Limiting a platform to 2Gb in 2012 is just stupid.

Well, not so much stupidly as artificially limited. Yay Intel.
    More RAM means more power usage though. So they have created themselves a platform which they know the characteristics of. If OEMs then took that and started slapping 16GB of RAM in and only getting 20 mins of battery life, people would start questioning the platform, rather than the poor implementation.

So, in a way, some of what Intel has done is to protect the product.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123