+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Microsoft reveals Windows 8 & Surface RT Product Lifecycles in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts

Microsoft reveals Windows 8 & Surface RT Product Lifecycles

Source: Microsoft (via gHacks)

When you buy software or hardware, you usually want to know how long the developer or manufacturer supports it. When it comes to Windows, the product life cycle of each version of Windows is divided into mainstream support and extended support. Mainstream support is the first phase of the product support life cycle. It covers both security and non-security updates for the operating system, as well as complimentary support that is included with the license and paid support. The extended support phase provides users of the operating system with security updates, and paid support is available as well.

The Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems for instance are currently in the extended support phase, while Windows 7 and Windows 8 are in the mainstream support phase.

Microsoft has added Windows 8 and Windows RT to its product life cycle search. Here is a list of Microsoft operating systems and their mainstream and extended support end dates:

Windows XP: Mainstream support ended, Extended support end date: 08/04/2014.
    Windows Vista: Mainstream support ended, Extended support end date: 11/04/2017.
    Windows 7: Mainstream support end date 13/01/2015, Extended support end date: 14/01/2020.
    Windows 8: Mainstream support end date 09/01/2018, Extended support end date 10/01/2023.
    Windows RT: Not yet communicated.
    Surface with Windows RT: Mainstream support end date 04/11/2017, Extended support end date: not applicable as it is a consumer device.

Windows 8 mainstream support ends in 2018, while extended support will deliver security patches for the operating system for another 5 years afterwards. That’s the expected time frame as it follows the support life cycles of previous versions of Windows.

It is interesting to note that Microsoft will support its Surface tablets until 2017. If you compare that to the product life cycle of other tablet devices, you will notice that this is a rather difficult thing to do, as most manufacturers do not reveal the life cycle of their products on the Internet.

Microsoft has yet to communicate the Windows RT end of support dates, and it is not really clear why the dates have not yet been communicated. What’s almost certain is that it won’t end before the Surface’s life cycle ends.

Thank Post
    Pretty much as expected then

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Don't be surprised if Windows 7's lifecycle gets extended just like XP's We'll find out in a few years

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Don't be surprised if Windows 7's lifecycle gets extended just like XP's We'll find out in a few years
    It was only extended to stop linux from taking the netbook market, which didn't stop it taking a good proportion of the tablet market.

The question now is for schools running XP is do they move to Windows8 for a good 8yrs of support or win7 for 3yrs.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 26th November 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    The question now is for schools running XP is do they move to Windows8 for a good 8yrs of support or win7 for 3yrs.

Win7 mainstream support 2 years and change, Win8 mainstream support 5 years and change

Win7 extended support 7 years and change, Win8 extended support 10 years and change.

Think you're mixing your support windows FWIW, I'd say extended is the more important date, and at 7 years, Win7 is still well worth moving to (if only to hold out till Win9 when they undo/refine the changes of Win8)

Thank Post
    yes I made a mess of that post.
    2yrs left for Windows7 mainstream support or 5yrs for windows 8 mainstream support.

Thank Post
    I'd still stick with Windows 7 for the moment. I'm not ruling out Windows 8, however it should be just as simple to have dual Windows 7 and Windows 8 devices in the same domain. Most of the GPOs are identical, but proportionately I'd want it 90/10 in Windows 7's favour.

Thank Post
    But what about when the MS affiliated educational companies are only making TIFCAM apps?
    Will Windows7 support TIFCAM? I'm just thinking long term here as we are due to upgrade from XP in 2013.

Thank Post
    Never heard of a TIFCAM app, what is it? I just think Windows 8's going to be even more floppy than a floppy disk...

Thank Post
    TIFKAM - The Interface Formerly Known As Metro.. or Windows Modern UI.. which is now known as "Windows Store Apps"?

11. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

Michael (26th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Ahh right TIFKAM (The Interface Formerly Known As Metro).

I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Thank Post
    But what about when the MS affiliated educational companies are only making TIFCAM apps?
    Then they can piss off as far as I'm concerned. There's plenty more fish in the sea. Windows 8 is crap, and I'm certainly not going to recommend we upgrade to it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will Windows7 support TIFCAM? I'm just thinking long term here as we are due to upgrade from XP in 2013.
    Why are you still bothering to use computers, have you tried a typewriter. XP in 2013 yikes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Why are you still bothering to use computers, have you tried a typewriter. XP in 2013 yikes.
    Staff and students couldn't care what operating system they use. As far as they are concerned they use applications. XP still supports applications.
    They would care if they couldn't find their applications.
    I'm half tempted to just put them onto linux. In out tests we booted an 8yr old laptop into Fedora vs a new Corei3 Windows7. Fedora was on youtube before Win7 had even got to the logon screen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Staff and students couldn't care what operating system they use. As far as they are concerned they use applications. XP still supports applications.
    They would care if they couldn't find their applications.
    I'm half tempted to just put them onto linux. In out tests we booted an 8yr old laptop into Fedora vs a new Corei3 Windows7. Fedora was on youtube before Win7 had even got to the logon screen.
    Yea, because Youtube is about the level of education now.

When it comes down to it, it does not really matter about the platform but at this point I'm wondering why you threw out the C64s as that is obviously the level that is being aimed for. Base level computer - that is all.

Edit: Oh and I'm sure that your more skilled students roll their eyes at having to use XP, even if they are Linux lovers using a OS 4 revisions old has got to be grating, not everyone loves that rattling, leaking smoking charm of classic stuff. Its got to be fun dealing with the vulnerabilities of a platform that old too.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 29th November 2012 at 10:38 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast