+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 upgrade in Technical; This is not education related, but its windows 8 related so I'm hoping someone can help me out. Let me ...
    Thank Post

Windows 8 upgrade

This is not education related, but its windows 8 related so I'm hoping someone can help me out. Let me know if this is posted in the wrong place.

Does the windows 8 upgrade disk allow a clean intall onto a machine that doesn't actually have windows on it?

I'm not trying to cheat licensing, so let me explain.

A year or so ago my sister in law started trying to save space on her Vista laptop by deleting files she did not think she needed. After deleting a few system files concerned with networking and the internet she managed to pretty much kill her machine and came to me for help. I had no idea what she had deleted and she seemed to have killed her restore partition somehow, so I asked her for the disks that came with the laptop so I could rebuild it. Unfortunately she decided she did not need any of the disks or paperwork that came with her laptop and had thrown them all away. I had a go at installing vista with a disk I borrowed from another school, but without the driver disk I had real trouble and even with a few hours of google-fu I was never able to make her network card and wireless work. In the short term I stuck an ubuntu build on for her to use but they did not get on. The laptop has sat in a cupboard for about a year now.

Now windows 8 has come along and looks quite cheap I thought i may have another go at resurrecting this laptop. However, the 40 box set is listed as an upgrade. Strictly speaking her machine is liscenced for windows vista and so she is eligible for an upgrade to 8 but she does not actually have vista installed on it. Is it physically possible.

If not does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank Post

Re: Windows 8 upgrade

Unrelated i feel this is.

I done a windows 7 laptop though an upgrade disc.

Installed without key. Then run the upgrade with the key.

Thank Post

Windows 8 upgrade

Cheers, that bodes well!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Does the Windows 8 upgrade disc allow a clean install onto a machine that doesn't actually have Windows on it?
    It does, but you have to do a few more things once Windows has been installed in order to activate it successfully.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread