+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, windows 8 - dislike or like in Technical; MS just sacked their head of windows8. BBC News - Steven Sinofsky: Windows division head leaves Microsoft Clearly a few ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    MS just sacked their head of windows8.
    BBC News - Steven Sinofsky: Windows division head leaves Microsoft
    Clearly a few in the company don't like it.

Thank Post
    Like it!

I like where MS are going, but this is definitely an ME/Vista release.

I like the changes overall, lots of improvements for home/media users, the way it handles multiple screens is better.

Metro - undecided, I can see its uses, I just think its not quite there yet. Its a live screen saver, social networking aggregator and launch screen - dont treat it any other way, its just there for when your not doing anything else.

I can see in future releases the Metro UI being on a dedicated touch screen and the desktop on a second/TV screen or implement a form of Kinect. I can also see cross platform amalgamation right round the corner, phone/PC/xbox all controlling each other and syncing. Id stick a few quid on the new xbox being very similar to Win 8

Like it or not it seems MS are re-inventing the wheel - lots of potential, lets see if they crack it.

3. Thanks to CHR1S from:

bossman (14th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Like it here. Sorted the Metro screen to what I use daily and now my favourite button is the 'Windows button'. Remote desktop app is great for accessing all our servers.
    Stick the Windows 8 start menu from Stardock on it and you get the best of both worlds. Very quick. Just working out now how to complete a default profile for it and
    will start rolling it out.

Thank Post
    I like it.

Very different way of doing things but I'm slowly enjoying using it.

Not really sure how I would ever deploy it in school, but I'm sure that will become clear over time - not like we need to upgrade for a few years anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Hmmm... maybe someone at Microsoft doesn't like it either

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Hmmm... maybe someone at Microsoft doesn't like it either

It's like deja vu all over again!

8. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

elsiegee40 (13th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    It's like deja vu all over again!
    That's what happens when someone drags you away from your computer for a while mid-post... I should have read the thread updates before hitting enter

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Clearly a few in the company don't like it.
    Clearly!

Thank Post
    These are my opinions on Windows 8:

Love the startup and shutdown times
    Love the speed of use
    HATE the fact that you sign in using a Windows live ID, its not a phone its a PC!!!?!?!?! Surely the apps should request this not the whole OS
    HATE the full screen start menu - I have a 24 inch monitor, the icons are ridiculous!
    HATE the metro apps, tried closing apps with a touchpad the other day, the drag from top to bottom is plain poo!!
    HATE the fact they have muddled two distinct user devices which should be kept apart!

I think Ubuntu have a really good idea when it comes to the design of the Phone vs PC experience. When you plug a keyboard and mouse into the OS it becomes desktop ubuntu. When you take it out, it becomes android. The UIs are really different for a reason!

I think MS have done another Windows Mobile v5 thing, but this time they have brought the phone OS to the desktop, not the desktop OS to the phone like the failed Windows Mobile was!

I REALLY hope that this is another Vista and they don't keep going down this road. I love the idea of being able to use a surface like a tablet. BUT if its a tablet, it DOESN'T NEED A DESKTOP MODE!!!

Same goes the other way, if I want to use my desktop, I don't want a full screen start menu designed for a touch screen when I am struggling to use my mouse!!

Regardless of this fact.... WHY oh WHY did Microsoft create a Metro IE which is completely independant of the desktop IE. No shared bookmarks or tabs? Its totally bonkers! Consistent user interface? No. Just plain no.

12. 2 Thanks to Jamo:

themightymrp (13th November 2012), zag (13th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Tolerate is probably the best way to put it...

LIKE - the speed and (improved from the previews) fluidity of the Metro (yes I'm going to keeping calling it that) interface
    LIKE - how it works on a touchscreen device

DISLIKE - the Windows Mail app, just use the new Outlook.com interface as a desktop app please
    DISLIKE - jumping from Metro > Desktop > Metro, loading Office and Chrome particularly irritate me on that front. Just put a slide out program search panel \ launcher in Desktop mode, problem solved

HATE - manual horizontal scrolling anywhere except the Start Screen (why?!) and dragging Metro apps to close (although ALT+F4 still works)
    HATE - Windows Store, layout is awful and app selection much poorer than would be expected
    HATE - what sounds like very poorly thought through enterprise support, the deployment of Metro apps and control of the Start Screen sounds messy (being generous there!)

I've got a Win 7 \ 8 dual boot laptop I use in work, Win8 on my x100e for use \ portable use so trying to get used to it but my overall feeling is that this OS will need an SP1 to fix some of the irritating UI and management quirks that MS seem quite stubborn about at the moment but need to sort if Win8 is going to get user acceptance.

On another note the Surface pricing needs to be more competitive if it's going to be anything more than a "trophy" product for IT geeks, Surface Pro really needs to hit the value for money sweet spot if they want to beat Apple (nothing would please me more on that front )
    Last edited by gshaw; 13th November 2012 at 01:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Surface Pro really needs to hit the value for money sweet spot if they want to beat Apple
    I just want to add (slightly off topic) the surface pro is not a competitor to the iPad, or rather the iPad is not a competitor to the Surface Pro. The Surface Pro come with a i5 Processor, and should be viewed a competitor to ultrabooks and macbook air, in a tablet form. They will not be cheap, my estimate is in the 800-1000 range.

As for the original question I've been using Windows 8 for some time at home now on my laptop, I like it, but I can see it would be better with a touch interface, I find myself sometimes wanting to swipe the edge of my laptop screen instead of using the mouse. IMHO not really a desktop OS, and I think will be another ME/Vista, with the exception I do actually like this OS.

Like - Start Menu (Formally known as Metro)
    Like - The Apps, mail, pictures, xbox music, video, maps (how the hell that pinpoints me to my exact location when the laptop doesn't have gps, is both cool and scary!)
    Like - Speed
    Like - Being able to customise the start menu to how I work, I just hope the layout is sync'd as well as other user settings, as I don't want to have recustomise it on my next device

Dislike - Desktop mode, I'd be happy if this was gone, and just had 1 environment.
    Dislike - Split screen (33-66) mode in metro, I miss the 50-50 mode (which you still get in the desktop mode!)

I think most of my attitude comes from using Windows Phone 7.5 for the last year though, as I knew this OS would take some getting used too, so prep'd as best I could by getting the phone, which I have to say I've been very pleased with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_boy1984 View Post
    I just want to add (slightly off topic) the surface pro is not a competitor to the iPad, or rather the iPad is not a competitor to the Surface Pro. The Surface Pro come with a i5 Processor, and should be viewed a competitor to ultrabooks and macbook air, in a tablet form. They will not be cheap, my estimate is in the 800-1000 range.
    Being that the RT is apparently only for consumers ( ) then where does that leave business who like the design of the Surface but not spending 800-1000 per device? So frustrating as I think the 3rd party vendors are going to have a hard time creating something better from a design POV (although would like to be proved wrong on that one).

Wanted MS to kill the iPad (certainly for business use) with the Surface but seems a bit of a square peg in a round hole in either RT or Pro form at the moment?

Thank Post
    Being that the RT is apparently only for consumers ( ) then where does that leave business who like the design of the Surface but not spending 800-1000 per device?
    Microsoft are saying that the RT is "Designed for the mobile office" (Source Here), although you will need to pay for a commercial license for the Office version thats installed (see footnote on source page). You can also supposedly manage Windows RT devices with Microsoft intune, but that'll cost you too, although I believe less if you have SCCM, although don't quote me on that because I can't remember where I read it.

Wanted MS to kill the iPad (certainly for business use) with the Surface
    Amen to that!

Thank Post
    like "not metro" its not bad could do with more options and as mentioned maybe allow scalling on bigger screens so icons dont end up huge (assume my 32" tv was touch i dont need a 5" icon for something or 60" smartboard for that matter icons are massive"
    like: app store as a single user does the job not sure about 5 installs of an app max as if i have a phone a laptop and a surface thats 3 gone 4 if i ever reinstall the laptop 5 when i get a new phone
    like: hyper v on desktop os (though it borked my vbox setup)
    like: card games are better more numerous and you get achievements for them lol

unsure: switching between desktop and metro not sure how it could be done better but its a little abrupt / jaring

dislike : enterprise use no way to get consistency between pcs/users
    dislike: akward installation of not metro apps enterprise wide
    dislike: the assumption that its going to be used on a touch device as mouse to corner while it works isnt exactly intuitive

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_boy1984 View Post
    Microsoft are saying that the RT is "Designed for the mobile office" (Source Here), although you will need to pay for a commercial license for the Office version thats installed (see footnote on source page). You can also supposedly manage Windows RT devices with Microsoft intune, but that'll cost you too, although I believe less if you have SCCM, although don't quote me on that because I can't remember where I read it.
    Mobile office provided everything is in the cloud I guess (seeing as they clearly don't want RT on a domain). As a business if I have SCCM why would I want to use a separate product to manage Surface RTs? It seems a slightly confused message coming from MS on that front; either make it fully managed or as @jamesfed says make it purely consumer (although that seems to be wasting the potential of the product imo)

Windows 8 SP1 and either an update to unlock local RT functionality & management or a mid-range Surface running Win8 Pro and the overall package will look 10x better imo

From the input so far the messages are pretty consistent on where 8 is doing well and what needs sorting. Seems like they listened quite well during the Preview phase so MS please take note and sort this stuff in SP1
    Last edited by gshaw; 14th November 2012 at 10:33 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast