+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 RT proxy support in Technical; Does anyone know if the Surface RT supports authenticated proxies? Students will start to bring these to school soon and ...

Thank Post

Question Windows 8 RT proxy support

Does anyone know if the Surface RT supports authenticated proxies? Students will start to bring these to school soon and I would like to be able to let them know if we can configure proxy settings as we can in ie/firefox/safari to point to our TMG server.
    Last edited by martindyer; 8th November 2012 at 11:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure on this device specifically but if i was you i would starting going down the route of getting you proxying done transparently. The amount of devices out there and new stuff coming that doesn't support proxies is large. Its mainly because these are consumer devices and people dont usually have a proxy server at home.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if @jamesfed could give it a try?

4. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

jamesfed (9th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Windows 8 apps dont work with NTLM authentication properly (here they dont work at all when we use NTLM) but i dont know about normal auth proxies. So you may want to look at different auth method if your using that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by martindyer View Post
    Does anyone know if the Surface RT supports authenticated proxies? Students will start to bring these to school soon and I would like to be able to let them know if we can configure proxy settings as we can in ie/firefox/safari to point to our TMG server.
    Modern IE 10 (the main one from the start screen) works with Proxys just the same as Windows 7 and Windows 8 - we use TMG here and it blocks things just as well although I haven't looked much into authentication methods yet (will do though).

Will do some testing with Metro style applications however the best way you can test would just be to fire up a Win 8 VM (use a trial edition if you don't have VL) and that will work just the same as a Windows RT tablet.

With our WPAD settings proxy detection is automatic and seamless.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Using a transparent proxy may work for most but we are a boarding school and we want to allow different groups of students access to different groups of websites on a timed basis so we use AD group membership a lot to achieve this. Hopefully @jamesfed will have some success. It would nice to be ahead of the game when a student brings one in or we get a call from a parent asking if we support them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Thanks for all the replies. Using a transparent proxy may work for most but we are a boarding school and we want to allow different groups of students access to different groups of websites on a timed basis so we use AD group membership a lot to achieve this. Hopefully @jamesfed will have some success. It would nice to be ahead of the game when a student brings one in or we get a call from a parent asking if we support them.

What filter do you use? With transparent proxy on a Smoothwall for example you can redirect the initial web-request to a login page. Login using AD creds leave that window open and you session is then filtered according to the rules as normal.

Thank Post
    We use TMG onsite and then all traffic goes through the SWGfL filter which applies the filtering to all traffic allowed through TMG. I got a quote from SmoothWall yesterday, £8000! So I don't think that is on the cards at the moment...

Thank Post
    We also use transparent proxy through Smoothwall. We setup a separate Wireless network for the students on a different VLAN and IP range from the school network. They log into
    their wireless network then access the internet by putting their normal school username and password from active directory into a SSL login page. Once on the internet they can
    then access our Remote Desktop services system which gives them all the software and network drives. Works very well.
    With regards to the proxy settings on Windows 8, we have found that we had to set the proxy by command prompt, using NETSH WINHTTP SET PROXY, once this had been
    done all the apps working in Metro (or whatever they are calling it now).
    Last edited by alfatec; 9th November 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alfatec View Post
    We also use transparent proxy through Smoothwall. We setup a separate Wireless network for the students on a different VLAN and IP range from the school network. They log into
    their wireless network then access the internet by putting their normal school username and password from active directory into a SSL login page. Once on the internet they can
    then access our Remote Desktop services system which gives them all the software and network drives. Works very well.
    With regards to the proxy settings on Windows 8, we have found that we had to set the proxy by command prompt, using NETSH WINHTTP SET PROXY, once this had been
    done all the apps working in Metro (or whatever they are calling it now).
    i cant even get proxy to deploy in desktop mode on std win 8 ent wpad.dat fails group policy fail just trying loopback mode then gpp reg entries but this is dumb

Thank Post
    Make sure to allow ncsi.glbdns.microsoft.com through without needing auth else windows 8 thinks the internet is not there.. which can cause the apps to complain/not work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arron View Post
    Make sure to allow ncsi.glbdns.microsoft.com through without needing auth else windows 8 thinks the internet is not there.. which can cause the apps to complain/not work.
    i have zero control over the proxy i just have to use it lea suplier its poor and expensive but schools wont move

and typically it now works both metro and desktop presumably via wpad as even though settings for it are in they arnt showing and rsop still complains about ie branding which im not trying to do lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    We use TMG onsite and then all traffic goes through the SWGfL filter which applies the filtering to all traffic allowed through TMG. I got a quote from SmoothWall yesterday, £8000! So I don't think that is on the cards at the moment...
    I Believe this is possible to do with TMG but you will need to ask somebody else how.

When you look into the full costings from everything you get for SWGFL you may be plesently surprised. On my old WSGFL school it was only £500 per year more to move away from WSGFL go for a 100mb leased line (versus 20mb from wsgfl) and then get a smoothwall for 3 years. This included firewall and mail filtering via the Smoothwall device. the freedom is gave was huge.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could install the TMG Firewall client (look for a hidden share on TMG), I suspect that would get around the NTLM problem hopefully. It wont be tested for W8 though sadly and wouldnt help RT.

Thank Post
    Proxy support is shocking. Not wifi linked, and the desktop IE settings don't apply to metro apps.

However you can do it.

After setting the proxy up in IE desktop as normal.....

I wrote 2 batch files and saved them to the desktop

ProxyOn.bat
    reg add "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings]" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie

ProxyOff.bat
    reg add "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings]" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    netsh winhttp reset proxy

Then right click and "run as administrator" each time you need to turn it on/off.
    Its dirty, and MS should really have sorted this properly by attaching proxy settings per-wifi network by now!

Hope this helps
    Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast