+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
Windows 8 Thread, My surface is here! in Technical; Arrived at home to find out it arrived around lunch time today! So over the moon with it already and ...
  1. #1
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 342 Times in 289 Posts
    Rep Power
    86

    My surface is here!

    Arrived at home to find out it arrived around lunch time today! So over the moon with it already and it is pretty easy to touch type with the touch cover (typed this with it!).

    So the big question is - what do we want to see in a video demo!?

    To start the USB port has already come in use and the screen is just as clear as Microsoft say it is

  2. #2

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,136
    Thank Post
    215
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    507
    Will it blend?

  3. 9 Thanks to Domino:

    Chris_ (1st November 2012), CyberNerd (2nd November 2012), eddyc (3rd November 2012), hardtailstar (7th November 2012), jamesfed (1st November 2012), john (6th November 2012), plexer (1st November 2012), SimonD (1st November 2012), Sylv3r (1st November 2012)

  4. #3
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 342 Times in 289 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Will it blend?
    Do do do da dooo do da do da doooo

  5. #4

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,593
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 764 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Ease with which you can create a slideshow of lolcats

  6. 2 Thanks to Ric_:

    john (6th November 2012), Little-Miss (2nd November 2012)

  7. #5


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,865
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,964 Posts
    Rep Power
    785
    Have you installed KB2748583? If so, could you confirm that this fixes the issue shown below in Office 2013 RT?


  8. #6
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 342 Times in 289 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Have you installed KB2748583? If so, could you confirm that this fixes the issue shown below in Office 2013 RT?

    Havent gotten that far yet - will be the first thing I do when I get to work tomorrow and don't mind downloading a 600mb update.

  9. #7

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,139
    Thank Post
    860
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    So the big question is - what do we want to see in a video demo!?
    https://twitter.com/surface/status/261537378957676544



    How about the UI speed in real world tests, edugeek scrolling, RDP, typing action with the keyboard.

  10. #8
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,655
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 218 Times in 201 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    Can you show us how well Office works on it via touch in the real world?

    Also does the RT have a standard Windows login screen so it can be used as a true multi user tablet? Basically can you give it to any student to use then another one afterwards.

  11. #9
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 342 Times in 289 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Can you show us how well Office works on it via touch in the real world?

    Also does the RT have a standard Windows login screen so it can be used as a true multi user tablet? Basically can you give it to any student to use then another one afterwards.
    Office yes - I'm going to do a mini video on that

    I'm afraid I refuse to try and use a Windows RT device as a multi user device - thats what full Windows 8 is for (and I feel quite strongly about this).

    On a side note - Im already touch typing on touch cover and just using the onscreen keyboard is pretty easy too!

    Still working on getting the Xbox 360 controller to work with it....

  12. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    41
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with the principle of what you say but I think the cost of the full surface win 8 is going to be about 800 pounds if the HP envyx2 is anything to go by.

  13. #11
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,655
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 218 Times in 201 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post

    I'm afraid I refuse to try and use a Windows RT device as a multi user device - thats what full Windows 8 is for (and I feel quite strongly about this).
    Hmmm interesting but not sure I agree on that one. What I hoped from the Microsoft line is that we'd have something that's truly...

    - manageable
    - shareable
    - productive

    Now given the price point of £400+ for the RT there's no way we could give one to each student so for me the only thing that can make it better than an iPad is the ability to have separate users on the device, basically a tablet version of a domained PC.

    Unfortunately it's not looking good so far with the RT due to the lack of domain functionality, could live with it if the integration with either SkyDrive or Office 365 is slick enough but haven't really seen much of it yet.

    The Pro tablets are silly money, not going to shell out the best part of £1000 for the sake of a touch screen...

  14. #12

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,139
    Thank Post
    860
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdc199 View Post
    I agree with the principle of what you say but I think the cost of the full surface win 8 is going to be about 800 pounds if the HP envyx2 is anything to go by.
    Depends on which brand you go for, the admittedly low spec Acer W510 is around NZD$800 or 400 pounds which is much cheaper, probably cheaper than the surface will be here, given the NZ markup they will probably give them away for free in the UK.

    The Acer is only a dual core Atom but comes with a keyboard, 64GB SSD 2GB RAM etc. You also get full W8 and 64bit.

    EDIT: We use the W501 tablets here at the moment with 8 and it works fine.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 2nd November 2012 at 09:42 AM.

  15. #13
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 342 Times in 289 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Hmmm interesting but not sure I agree on that one. What I hoped from the Microsoft line is that we'd have something that's truly...

    - manageable
    - shareable
    - productive

    Now given the price point of £400+ for the RT there's no way we could give one to each student so for me the only thing that can make it better than an iPad is the ability to have separate users on the device, basically a tablet version of a domained PC.

    Unfortunately it's not looking good so far with the RT due to the lack of domain functionality, could live with it if the integration with either SkyDrive or Office 365 is slick enough but haven't really seen much of it yet.

    The Pro tablets are silly money, not going to shell out the best part of £1000 for the sake of a touch screen...
    RT was simply never meant to be used like that - its a personal OS for personal devices not for domain joning that is purely Windows 8.

    I have however seen mentions of Intel Atom/AMD C-50 powered Windows 8 Pro PCs that should arrive at a similar point.

    I might have to do a video about this point as well.....

  16. #14
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,655
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 218 Times in 201 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    RT was simply never meant to be used like that - its a personal OS for personal devices not for domain joning that is purely Windows 8.

    I have however seen mentions of Intel Atom/AMD C-50 powered Windows 8 Pro PCs that should arrive at a similar point.

    I might have to do a video about this point as well.....
    In which case I really think they've missed a trick there

    An affordable, managed tablet is what the market is crying out for and on a technical side really don't get what's so difficult in achieving it once MS had done the hard part in porting Windows to ARM? Yes it can't run desktop apps but your average business user wants to access their network files and edit them in Office. A domain join with tablet policy and native network drive support at £400 would be a sure iPad killer. A Surface Pro at £1000 not so much so (and not as thin \ light either)

    Basically the one RT device could easily cover both bases, seems a shame that it's restricted (either deliberately or just hasn't got the tech side sorted in time)

    Trouble with waiting on Atom ranges etc is some of the lower priced stuff so far looks so poor in comparison e.g that Advent from the other day, really need something to hit that sweet spot to make it worthwhile.

    Yes it's high expectations but why shouldn't we have them from a company the size of MS
    Last edited by gshaw; 2nd November 2012 at 10:06 AM.

  17. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    41
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I have windows 8 on last years dell duo with an Intel® Atom™ Processor N570
    (1M Cache, 1.66 GHz) flip screen. Runs win8 perfectly and all of 2013 and lots of other software. That was only 350 new last christmas that computer. But they stopped making it. Their new version - albeit with a bigger screen and better processor is 1000 pounds. Stick with my duo

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My 2nd child is here, it's a boy!
    By ZeroHour in forum General Chat
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 18th February 2012, 06:13 AM
  2. SIMS August Main Release is here
    By DrFrankenMouse in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2nd September 2007, 01:20 PM
  3. Cascading proxy help...my head is fried..
    By Sirbendy in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th March 2007, 08:26 PM
  4. My office is a pig sty
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 15th December 2005, 10:50 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •