+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Store - am I missing something, or this LESS manageable than the iPad? in Technical; Originally Posted by thom Enterprise software should be purchased through the developer, not the store. They will then email you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    Enterprise software should be purchased through the developer, not the store. They will then email you a "deep-link" to access a special enterprise version of their software. Whether they ask you to enter a license code/key or not is up to them
    This is the exact problem. Developers aren't required to offer that option. I would wager that only a very small percentage of them ever will.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    This is the exact problem. Developers aren't required to offer that option. I would wager that only a very small percentage of them ever will.
    It's just like Windows Driver signing all over again

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    I also attended a Windows 8 camp and although not entirely clear, this is what I picked up on.
    * Side-loading is only for "in-house" apps
    * Enterprise software should be purchased through the developer, not the store. They will then email you a "deep-link" to access a special enterprise version of their software. Whether they ask you to enter a license code/key or not is up to them

It is still necessary for each user to have a Microsoft Account (aka windows live/msn/hotmail) to open deep-links and install themselves. I guess you could add these links as shortcuts to the user's desktop's, via Group Policy Preferences
    Am I reading this right, MS are saying that the following scenario isn't actually possible right now?

> I want to buy an app for everyone on my network
    > I want to deploy that app to all my machines
    > I want that app ready and waiting on the Start Screen for any user that logs on

If so that's absolutely crazy...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    seems we're not the only ones with this problem:

Deploy windows 8 apps for multi-user on Enterprise: windows 8, apps, deploy

Thank Post
    I'm looking at the Evaluation version at the moment here in school on a test machine and it won't let me connect to the Microsoft store using my Microsoft Live ID- also we're behind a proxy. Does this make any difference? Is the Microsoft Store available with the eval. version?

Thank Post
    Microsoft System Center Config Manager 2012 SP1 is what you need - the user still has to install it, but you can manage all the apps from there.
    EdgeShow 40 - Windows 8 support in SCCM 2012 SP1 | Edge | Channel 9

skip to 7.30min for the interesting bit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awarfield View Post
    Microsoft System Center Config Manager 2012 SP1 is what you need - the user still has to install it, but you can manage all the apps from there.
    Which is nice, but unfortunately leaves almost all of the problem unsolved. A 5 year old should not be expected to log onto the SCCM client portal. There appears to be no way to deploy paid apps, or buy them in bulk. Updates will presumably still have to be installed manually.

On top of all that, we have to use SCCM, which requires significant server resources and should not be necessary for something this basic.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 16th January 2013 at 08:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But I still dont know where to get the .appx files from.

Very well being able to install .appx apps that we create in house, but what if I want to have our windows 8 slates all with apps from the store pre-installed for every user?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    But I still dont know where to get the .appx files from.

Very well being able to install .appx apps that we create in house, but what if I want to have our windows 8 slates all with apps from the store pre-installed for every user?
    Only place you'd be able to get them from is the software makers.

Thank Post
    i think they expect you to only use appx to deploy your own programs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    so even with SCCM 2012 SP1, Windows 8 is still not designed for a multi user environment?

Thank Post
    imo its designed for byod and management stuff in there is leftover from win7 or they would have tools to manage the start screen

12. Thanks to sted from:

RabbieBurns (23rd January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    imo its designed for byod and management stuff in there is leftover from win7 or they would have tools to manage the start screen
    And therein lies the problem. Microsoft for some reason seem to have designed Windows 8 as if all networked managed machines are going to disappear overnight and be replaced by pure BYOD the next morning. Maybe that may be the onward trend but the product has been released for today where most places still have at most a mixed environment and need managed devices as part of their provision.

For those users MS is basically forcing them to stay with Windows 7 even if they wanted to move to 8... businesses won't care as it saves them licensing an OS upgrade but it's not doing MS any favours as 8 has hardly been a resounding success in the retail market either. Almost seems like they're abandoning the one thing they had as their USP (enterprise management) in favour of following Apple (badly). If you want a poorly managed device for BYOD get an iPad, the users will appreciate the shiny logo at least...

14. Thanks to gshaw from:

RabbieBurns (23rd January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    And therein lies the problem. Microsoft for some reason seem to have designed Windows 8 as if all networked managed machines are going to disappear overnight and be replaced by pure BYOD the next morning. Maybe that may be the onward trend but the product has been released for today where most places still have at most a mixed environment and need managed devices as part of their provision.

For those users MS is basically forcing them to stay with Windows 7 even if they wanted to move to 8... businesses won't care as it saves them licensing an OS upgrade but it's not doing MS any favours as 8 has hardly been a resounding success in the retail market either. Almost seems like they're abandoning the one thing they had as their USP (enterprise management) in favour of following Apple (badly). If you want a poorly managed device for BYOD get an iPad, the users will appreciate the shiny logo at least...
    which leaves people like me, whos SLT decide they want full powered touchy feely devices, that can be properly managed and fully functional with all our applications, in a scenario where such a device/OS combination doesnt exist.

But wont stop them buying 100 more slate with detachable keyboard combos (even after a failed trial with 50 under powered atom dell latitude st slates) and also a similar number of laptops with touchscreens, (which is not so bad as we can just suggest desktop mode for those, or I can just use win7 and disable the touchscreen)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    The whole 'locked down' IT systems of the past have had their day in schools. It's about time. Even the new Ofsted framework recognises this - they want school machines to become more like user owned equipment and have the management done on the network, rather than the device. I'm happy - we've been doing this for years.

Recommendations for schools

manage the transition from locked down systems to more managed systems to help pupils understand how to manage risk; to provide them with richer learning experiences; and to bridge the gap between systems at school and the more open systems outside school

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    The whole 'locked down' IT systems of the past have had their day in schools. It's about time. Even the new Ofsted framework recognises this - they want school machines to become more like user owned equipment and have the management done on the network, rather than the device. I'm happy - we've been doing this for years.
    fair enough. I dont think anyone is saying otherwise.

but how do you propose having 'the management done on the network rather than the device' applies to the multi user problem of windows 8 metro apps ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast