+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Store - am I missing something, or this LESS manageable than the iPad? in Technical; Originally Posted by RabbieBurns So... iof i want to create an image and install a bunch of windows 8 apps ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    So... iof i want to create an image and install a bunch of windows 8 apps that are available to all the users who log in... is this possible just now?

looking at the link above from steve21 it talks about sideloading, side loading requiring a special license key, using DISM to install apps.. blah blah bleurgh..

I jsut want to install a bunch of apps straight from the app store and them have them available for all subsequent users.

Possible or not?

Also what happens about the microsoft account I use to install the apps. Ive used my own one to do it and now all my contacts and mail is flying up on the start screen.
    You've made a very good point that had slipped my mind - the Microsoft account issue! That's a bit of a large issue for us!

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Microsoft have said the same thing all along - to manage Windows RT devices, you need InTune or SCCM 2012 SP1. Microsoft: This is how Windows RT, Windows Phone 8 devices will be managed | ZDNet

But yes, I think most of the things you've listed are problems. But again, RT devices have never been aimed at business - they're an iPad replacement.
    Given how iPads are seeing substantial take-up in businesses, that attitude may well come back to bite Microsoft, and those of us who have to support their bad decisions, in the ass. Still at least they've got rid of the idiot in charge of this debacle so maybe they'll sort something out...
    Last edited by Roberto; 14th November 2012 at 08:29 AM.

Thank Post
    In fairness, pushing out apps to ipads still requires user intervention in my experience, the end user gets a popup asking if they want to install it or not (unless i'm doing something wrong).

Thank Post
    We went to the Microsoft Windows 8 Tech day in Leeds yesterday and whilst I was wanting to be impressed, I wasn't!

Microsoft seem to have added way too much complexity to Win 8 for Admins and, potentially, for users!

If this is their attempt to compete with Apple/iPads etc. then, in my opinion, it may fail!

Andrew

Thank Post
    I am a bit confused about the thread title as I was told as of an update months back Ipads are very manageable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    I am a bit confused about the thread title as I was told as of an update months back Ipads are very manageable.
    "Very manageable" is a stretch, but the iOS app store is more manageable than this. It's still a bit of a pain to install apps en-masse though, as when you deploy apps using a management tool you have to confirm the install manually on the device - it doesn't install silently.

There are also plenty of other iOS settings you can't remote manage, which is where Windows as a whole has the advantage, but the iOS app store definitely has the upper hand over Windows 8.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adhutton View Post
    We went to the Microsoft Windows 8 Tech day in Leeds yesterday and whilst I was wanting to be impressed, I wasn't!

Microsoft seem to have added way too much complexity to Win 8 for Admins and, potentially, for users!

If this is their attempt to compete with Apple/iPads etc. then, in my opinion, it may fail!

Andrew
    ditto as i said to the ms people there its aimed at home users and the answer to my first question was telling "How do you create a standard start screen" answer "you cant" not enterprise friendly then

also even if you do download fruit ninja (for the sake of argument) you can only install it on 5 pcs EVER anyway before you license runs out

i suspect managing marketplace/not metro apps will get better over time as will managing the start screen (possibly i already have ideas in that direction) but apart from touchscreen pcs i see no real reason to upgrade

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    "Very manageable" is a stretch, but the iOS app store is more manageable than this. It's still a bit of a pain to install apps en-masse though, as when you deploy apps using a management tool you have to confirm the install manually on the device - it doesn't install silently.

There are also plenty of other iOS settings you can't remote manage, which is where Windows as a whole has the advantage, but the iOS app store definitely has the upper hand over Windows 8.
    The way we 'bulk' distribute apps, is to install on one, and dock it in our 16 bay dock, which is hooked up to an always on PC with iTunes open. They all seem to get the apps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, you can't preload apps direct from the store. The only way to make them available to all users at present is through the DISM/login script process. You are limited to 24 apps using this method, and you have to get hold of the .appx package somehow.
    Any idea where these .appx are available from?

Im wanting to use our Dell Slates with the Kindle app, wikipedia, One Note, etc etc so as to use these to their full potential and not have folk dropping to the desktop all the time.

Also, what about needing a sideloading serial number is that still the case even with Enterprise edition?

Thank Post
    Any idea where these .appx are available from?

Im wanting to use our Dell Slates with the Kindle app, wikipedia, One Note, etc etc so as to use these to their full potential and not have folk dropping to the desktop all the time.

Also, what about needing a sideloading serial number is that still the case even with Enterprise edition?
    the appx you would need to contact the app maker (so in this case amazon) from what was said yesterday. You need sccm2012(sp whatever it is) to manage apps properly (currently in beta) or use powershell scripts to install them and im still not clear if thats per user or per pc.

Ms's thinking appears to be 1pc=1 user who can be trusted with admin rights and if you want "pool computers" use vdi/rdp

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Ms's thinking appears to be 1pc=1 user who can be trusted with admin rights and if you want "pool computers" use vdi/rdp
    VDI / RDP ? Whats the point in having a touchscreen tablet if its just to remote desktop into a server to run apps? Can you run windows 8 metro apps from a 2012 server?

Thank Post
    VDI / RDP ? Whats the point in having a touchscreen tablet if its just to remote desktop into a server to run apps? Can you run windows 8 metro apps from a 2012 server?
    rdp in 08/2012 supports touchscreens and flash/video better than 08r2 so it should make little difference (in theory cant say im entirely happy about rdp/vdi for all my infrastructure which appears to be the focus infact they demonstarted using a surface yesterday had fruit ninja on a laptop and were quite happily multitouch interfacing it from said surface using rdp) as far as im aware yes you can run not metro apps on 2012 its the same kernel etc so i dont see why not (granted havnt tried it but as not metro is also on server it would be odd if you couldnt use the apps)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    You can enable sideloading on Windows 8 Enterprise by joining the computer to a domain. The sideloading key is needed for everything else, including Enterprise off-domain.

14. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

RabbieBurns (14th November 2012)

Thank Post
    No, you can't preload apps direct from the store. The only way to make them available to all users at present is through the DISM/login script process. You are limited to 24 apps using this method, and you have to get hold of the .appx package somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by adhutton View Post
    We went to the Microsoft Windows 8 Tech day in Leeds yesterday
    Ditto!

They showed us that you can add .appx packages into MDT as Applications (and I presume you'll be able to do something similar in SCCM SP1).

The other way they showed us of deploying Metro apps, was in powershell, with the add-appxpackage command. The problem with this method of install however, is that you also need to install the security certificate which comes with the .appx package, to trusted root certificates on the pc!

Either method has the potential to cause more headaches than it solves, unless you push the metro apps that you want/need/are asked for, at install via MDT.

Thank Post
    i have a feeling you can use gpo to distribute certs i even think ive done it before (but ive slept since then lol)

installing appx does seem to be more dificult than it needs to be and i dont see why they couldnt be repackages as msi's but ms seem to be moving from that model to a script every damn thing in powershell model

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast