+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 to go ? in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK Funny, we don't have that level of affluence here or at least affordability. On the smartphone ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Funny, we don't have that level of affluence here or at least affordability.

On the smartphone issue about I know five people not including myself with them who are happy enough with them, two were android users
    I'm sure things in the former colonies will catch up with the rest of the modern world in time

Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Almost every definition, except the most important one: Can you type a word document up on it without throwing it against the wall.
    Well no, we don't use Word because you can't type up a Word document on one - and the basis of our ICT strategy is to make learning resources available to all not just those that can afford Word (and the equipment to run it). Then again, IT isn't all about typing essays up on word processors.

Anyway, yes WTG is a nice edition I just think its getting a bit late in the day for MS to capitalize on this. They desperately need to pick up things in the mobile market I just don't think they are doing it the right way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm sure things in the former colonies will catch up with the rest of the modern world in time
    Doubtful - Example, Windows 8 Phone is out in like 4 days and they are still selling Lumina 800 phones for $899 here.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 25th October 2012 at 06:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Android has 5% of the total market, iwhatever has 20% and about 70% various windows platforms.

The sales figures you hint at mask what is really going on, most androids are phones, most apples are phones.... areas where MS have had no penetration. So people bother because they still dominate the market, 'everyone' is not moving to android and apple.
    OSX has outgrown the Windows market for 6 years straight, by the end of June 2012 the Mac outgrew the PC market by 700%, and the Mac is the #1 selling Desktop AND Notebook in the US. Where is MS dominating again?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinova View Post
    OSX has outgrown the Windows market for 6 years straight, by the end of June 2012 the Mac outgrew the PC market by 700%, and the Mac is the #1 selling Desktop AND Notebook in the US. Where is MS dominating again?

Love to know where you picked those figures from...

Pc has been out selling "macs" every year and still are.

Acer alone sells more than all the macs.

If you're counting iPhone and iPad that's different, but macs certainly aren't winning.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,768 Posts
    Where is MS dominating again?
    In the UK.

Code:
    -----------------------------------------------
                Sales (Q2 2012)    Market Share (%)
    HP          469,000            18.5
    Dell        313,000            12.4
    Acer        293,000            11.6
    Toshiba     238,000             9.4
    Apple       187,000             7.4

Thank Post
    And US and worldwide.

US PC shipments drop 6% as Apple posts 4% gain

(scroll down for figures)

Seems acer dropped recently, but apple aren't even in top 5 world sales, and only 3rd in individual companies in US

(again this is desktop/laptops not mobile)

Just because iPhone and iPads are selling well diesn't mean macs are as popular

Steve

Thank Post

PCs still outsells Macs 15-1

Apple have improved, Apple often sell for more, they sell both hardware bundled with software but they don't have the market share.

So to answer your question, MS is dominating world wide.

Thank Post
    Apple just posted the numbers in their 10/23 event. The iMac is the #1 selling desktop and the Macbook Pro is the #1 selling notebook.

Thank Post
    "Apple also updated their MacBook Pro with a new 13″ MacBook Pro with Retina Display and a refreshed iMac. Apple bragged about sales of their Macs because they’ve outgrown PCs by over 7 times in the last six straight years, year over year. They’re consistently rated as the number one company in customers satisfaction and reliability. Apple also sells the #1 desktop and notebook in the United States.

The iPad dominates other computer makers devices. Cook wowed attendees announcing that Apple sold over 100 Million iPads in their first two and a half years. Apple sold more iPads in Q2 2012 than any other computer maker sold PCs. The iPad grabs 90 percent of the mobile tablet traffic. Cook said that 94 percent of all fortune 500 companies are testing the iPad."

Apple Boasts iPad, iPhone and Mac Sales Numbers at iPad Mini Event

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread has massively derailed from the topic of Windows 8 To Go.
    BOT please.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    thats forums for ya.

anyway. 2016 is the year for linux
    Android to overtake Windows in 2016, says Gartner | ZDNet

Thank Post
    Almost every definition, except the most important one: Can you type a word document up on it without throwing it against the wall.

Phones completely fail in this respect. I quite like my SG2, but anything other than a search is painful, my ipad 2 is useless, the transformer I had for a few months could do it just about, but os/software still wasn't quite there....

Comes down to the tools for the job again.

Anyway WTG = handy addition.
    Just this weekend a friend commented if it wasn’t for his smartphone he wouldn’t get half his writing done. Another person commented they are thinking about replacing desktops with tablets/smartphones and docking stations for a screen and keyboard. With wireless airplay screens are not a problem all you need is a decent dock keyboard.

Every day I see smartphones replacing what people do on computers. With phone and tablet docking stations we are getting to the stage where desktops are not needed or should that be needed much less. A group of people now write more and use the web more on their mobile device then their own desktop and this group is getting bigger.

EDIT: For useing tablets at work I asked about domain/management support and they said as of an update a few weeks ago its pretty good now. Although I have yet to see this working and still feel its a little early to go down this route.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 30th October 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still need a bit more power, even a quad tegra3 is a poor substitute for a single atom chip that can push 1080 to a couple of screens without burning a hole in your desk. WTG is a good intermediary till stuff catches up. The next gen atom stuff should work in phones power envelopes and AMD is looking at making 64bit ARM cpus. These with 802.11ad/ac and better docking stuff should make this much more feasible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12