+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 - Upgrade only in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Windows 8 - Upgrade only

Mmm, Windows 8 will only be supporting "upgrades" from older Windows, apart from OEM disks.... bit weird

Upgrading old pc:
    Windows Upgrade via old Windows $39.99 (Windows)
    Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition - from XP SP3 / Vista / 7 (Disk Version) £49.98 (ebuyer currently)

To get Win8 on a new pc:
    Buy WinXP/7 + use upgrade license
    Buy OEM disk £110.00 (ebuyer)

Seems rather stupid that you can't just buy a normal license for a computer, (ofcourse it can be "sourced" but talking legally ) Especially when you can't ever move OEM installs to another computer etc

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think many people in their right mind would be buying it anyway - at least not yet. It's no good to us professionally at all, because none of us would be silly enough to trust our networks to 3rd party software to make it usable.
    This is literally the first version of Windows I am very happy to entirely ignore.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I don't think many people in their right mind would be buying it anyway - at least not yet. It's no good to us professionally at all, because none of us would be silly enough to trust our networks to 3rd party software to make it usable.
    This is literally the first version of Windows I am very happy to entirely ignore.
    Was more thinking home use, as schools would have it on software assurance anyway (Unless they don't use it I guess)

Was more thinking it seemed a prime time to migrate my pc and mac into one box, but don't think you can even use an OEM disk virtually, so it'd mean rebuying Win7/vista, then upgrade disk, just seems dumb

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The one big question is why - to what benefit, over Windows 7?

Thank Post
    Don't think there's anything specifically "wanted" in Win8 so far, but seems one of these stupid things, where why wouldn't you go for the newer one. Can always use downgrade rights if wanted at the end, and works out same price as Win7 pro vs Win7+8pro upgrade pretty much.

Currently running this pc on Vista (yes vista!) and never had a reason to bother with Win7 really. Lose a gig or so of RAM to vista sure, but meh not worth the upgrade just for that imho

Sure there are some mini things that I like in Win7 like new taskbar with hovers etc etc, but still not really worth the cash

*ducks and runs from Vista ragers*

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,083 Posts
    The one big question is why - to what benefit, over Windows 7?
    For the same reason you update any software - bug fixes and other improvements.

Thank Post
    Mmm, Windows 8 will only be supporting "upgrades" from older Windows, apart from OEM disks.... bit weird
    You can upgrade oem versions

Upgrade from Windows 7 OEM or Windows 7 PC purchased between June 2nd - Jan 31st £14.99
    Upgrade from XP Vista 7 via download £24.99
    Upgrade from XP Vista 7 via Boxed DVD £49.99

The above are time limited upgrade offers after which the upgrade price shoots up to about the price of the boxed Windows 7 Pro upgrade

There are no full retail versions now just OEM and the terms have been changed meaning as a home user you can now move an OEM copy between computers you own.

Running Windows 8 on an Atom D525 it is alot smoother and more usable than Windows 7 thats for sure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    You can upgrade oem versions
    Sorry I meant no other options to upgrade, apart from buying OEM disk

There are no full retail versions now just OEM and the terms have been changed meaning as a home user you can now move an OEM copy between computers you own..
    Where did you read that? OEM still showing as system builder linked to single motherboard on all parts I've read. I know they changed it to allow consumers to use OEM (where they weren't officially allowed before).

Thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well Vista's no better than 7 on RAM usage these days - by the time 7 was solid the requirements weren't so much of a shock with Vista.

I mean, at home for 8 to be properly usable for anyone with half a brain, you need to slap on your 3rd party shell of choice rather than put up with the touchafied UI. "Because it's newer" *has never been and never will be* a sensible reason to want it - there isn't a fruit themed logo on my computer.

I mean what are the actual improvements, from the POV of an actual power users? Out of the box comparison to W7 SP1. UI is a big change and in the perceived majority of opinions a negative, but besides that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The UI as always is given all sorts of importance that does not actually matter as much as it could do for a power user, we can learn and adapt quickly or simply mess with it to make it work as we want it to.

The stuff with W8 is just like the stuff with Vista, burried by the landslide of "teh frnt scren is not old skoolz lke teh lst 1!!!!!" from certain comentatoirs.

There is a thread here Forgotten Features of Windows 8? with lost of these features. Some of which are much lower RAM usage, faster initiation of user sessions by suspending the session instead of ending it (to disk). Better self healing, better power usage, newer filesystem option with better fixability and lots of other stuff buried under 'the new interface'. There are bits of it that wind me up but as an OS its not that bad under the hood.

Thank Post
    Well Vista's no better than 7 on RAM usage these days - by the time 7 was solid the requirements weren't so much of a shock with Vista.

I mean, at home for 8 to be properly usable for anyone with half a brain, you need to slap on your 3rd party shell of choice rather than put up with the touchafied UI. "Because it's newer" *has never been and never will be* a sensible reason to want it - there isn't a fruit themed logo on my computer.

I mean what are the actual improvements, from the POV of an actual power users? Out of the box comparison to W7 SP1. UI is a big change and in the perceived majority of opinions a negative, but besides that?
    I think you're misunderstanding my other comment.

Vista by far uses more RAM than Windows 7, all I meant is what does Win7 really bring out that's that much better than Vista etc in the first place? Shinier graphics, few new options sure, better realiabilty I guess But nothing "major".

In terms of Win8 UI etc, the majority of users just type what they want in Win7 start menu, the same you can do via Win8 search. Sure it's nice to have the start menu but again it's just UI stuff.

In terms of performance, I think most people would agree Win8 > Win7 > Vista, in terms of speed/and what spec computers it runs on.

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just meant it's not as bad as people seem to think on Vista.
    I've actually been seriously considering 8 on my home PC but need to find the specific reason to do so

Thank Post
    Sorry I meant no other options to upgrade, apart from buying OEM disk
    Ahh sorry I see, well I guess the £24.99 download upgrade will be your best bet.

Where did you read that? OEM still showing as system builder linked to single motherboard on all parts I've read.
    It was on a article by Ed Bott over at zdnet I think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    It was on a article by Ed Bott over at zdnet I think.
    This one?

www.zdnet.com/microsoft-radically-overhauls-license-agreements-for-windows-8-7000002866/

How can I use the software?

OEM
    The software is licensed, not sold.Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one copy only on the computer with which you acquired the software (the licensed computer)...

RETAIL UPGRADE
    We do not sell our software or your copy of it – we only license it. Under our license, we grant you the right to install and run that one copy on one computer (the licensed computer), for use by one person at a time, but only if you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Typically, this means you can install one copy of the software on a personal computer and then you can use the software on that computer.

PERSONAL USE LICENSE (SYSTEM BUILDER) FOR WINDOWS 8 PRO
    We do not sell our software or your copy of it – we only license it. Under our license, we grant you the right to install and run that one copy on one computer (the licensed computer) as the operating system on a computer that you build for your personal use, or as an additional operating system running on a local virtual machine or a separate partition, subject to the restrictions outlined under “Are there things I’m not allowed to do with the software?”

Thank Post
    Just found the real Windows 8 Pro EULAs online (also attached below).

RETAIL
    Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?
    You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.

OEM
    Can I transfer the software to another user?
    You may transfer the software directly to another user, only with the licensed computer. The transfer must include the software, proof of purchase, and, if provided with the computer, an authentic Windows label such as the certificate of authenticity label, including the product key. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier version. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

VOLUME
    Your use of this software is subject to the terms and conditions of the license agreement by which you acquired this software. If you are a volume license customer, use of this software is subject to your volume license agreement. You may not use this software if you have not validly acquired a license for the software from Microsoft or its licensed distributors.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast