+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Start8 - Bringing back the Windows "Start" menu in Technical; All this need for Start Menu shells could be avoided if Microsoft would give us a sliding search panel when ...
    Thank Post
    All this need for Start Menu shells could be avoided if Microsoft would give us a sliding search panel when on in Desktop mode. Something like Winkey+S (aka search \ start) and you get the same kind of panel you do with Winkey+I

Would mean they could keep the Metro look but not force users away from their work to use the Start screen, which I still find distracting when in the middle of something in desktop mode. Another alternative would be to enhance the run box with predictive search so Winkey+R becomes the quick way to launch apps in desktop mode.
    Last edited by gshaw; 16th October 2012 at 11:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I have to agree that if Microsoft wanted to switch off the Start Menu in Windows 8 by default - then fair enough, but by removing it completely is/was a poor decision. Users/administrators should have the option to switch it back on.

Maybe if there's a big demand for this, they might re-consider re-introducing it in Windows 8 SP1. Alternatively stick with Windows 7...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. If Microsoft had left the Start Menu as an option in Windows 8, then the transition to Metro would be easier. I can't see us using it as it stands on Desktops - I think we will be using 7 for a while yet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    this might be an alternative?
    It looks okay, although the real reason Pokki have created yet another Start Menu replacement is to push their own app store.

Latest Pokki beta includes a Windows 8 Start menu replacement and options to avoid Metro
    "We're doing it in a different way than guys like Stardock or Vistart or Samsung's S-Launcher. So rather than bring back the Windows 7 Start menu, which we agree with Microsoft is really outdated… we really wanted to integrate the core Start menu functionality and then modernize it." Pokki's Start menu isn't just a Windows 7 clone, and nor does the company charge any money for its app. It brings a launcher of sorts which includes favorites for desktop and Metro apps. (Source)

Thank Post
    Unfortunately Start8 doesn't support windows folder direction so it isn't any good for my pupil computers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12