+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Forgotten Features of Windows 8? in Technical; After my mini fail of not knowing that ISO support is now built in to Windows 8 , what other ...
    Thank Post

Forgotten Features of Windows 8?

After my mini fail of not knowing that ISO support is now built in to Windows 8, what other nifty new features of Windows 8 have been drowned out by the Metro Modern UI debate?

Thank Post
    inbuilt AV

windows to go

native pdf reader

much faster boot

easy restore functions

info on lockscreen

decent multi monitor support

a windows thats actually usable on touch devices

native 3g data usage controls

arm support

store
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 20th August 2012 at 06:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Native data sync via Skydrive

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Better memory usage, ie10 with spellcheck, integrated flash, new really easy bootloader, lots of the wp7 goodness, cleanout button that restores to default is install.

Thank Post
    Also some interesting changes with chkdsk and resolving problems without having to dismount / take system offline in certain sitiutaions - Redesigning chkdsk and the new NTFS health model - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

6. Thanks to VeryPC_Ed from:

ZeroHour (12th September 2012)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I like the new copy dialogue.

Thank Post
    WindowsKey and Print Screen

Fry

Thank Post
    Personally I don't think there's much to warrant the price tag of the upgrade. Nothing in it I'd use that I don't get from third party tools already.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    Personally I don't think there's much to warrant the price tag of the upgrade. Nothing in it I'd use that I don't get from third party tools already.
    I think that's the point. You don't need a raft of third party tools anymore.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    It was the same thing with Vista and 7, incremental features that add to something better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Thats one of the major reasons I stopped using windows. Needing a 3rd party app to open a .xlsx .iso etc is absolutely crazy for a 'modern' OS.
    Win7 seems to have got worse without hyperterminal or anything to access serial or SSH, even a telnet probe is difficult on win7.
    Some of us need to use computers for sysadmin/network jobs and linux is the only viable method these days without spending half a day searching for 'tools' to complement what should already be incuded in an O/S

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Thats one of the major reasons I stopped using windows. Needing a 3rd party app to open a .xlsx .iso etc is absolutely crazy for a 'modern' OS.
    Win7 seems to have got worse without hyperterminal or anything to access serial or SSH, even a telnet probe is difficult on win7.
    Some of us need to use computers for sysadmin/network jobs and linux is the only viable method these days without spending half a day searching for 'tools' to complement what should already be incuded in an O/S
    It is a tad nuts but they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if they bundle stuff they get sued by the EU, if they don't they get had for lacking features. Its happening again with Windows 8, IE bundled and you could install others but that's not good enough, Apple does not need to bundle Chrome and IE on an iPad and they are way closer to a dominant market share in tablets.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    It is a tad nuts but they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if they bundle stuff they get sued by the EU, if they don't they get had for lacking features. Its happening again with Windows 8, IE bundled and you could install others but that's not good enough, Apple does not need to bundle Chrome and IE on an iPad and they are way closer to a dominant market share in tablets.
    in theory itunes being required for ipad/phone/pod is much more restrictive than including a browser as surely not having a browser would render an os pointless and including firefox, chrome, opera, saffari and keeping them all up to date would be problamatic for ms

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is something I noticed with the EU browser law, it only works one way against MS' favour. They are forced to annoy users with a pop-up screen whilst other OS platforms aren't. Last time I mentioned it, someone pointed out that Linux has the repositories to download a new browser, but you still have to look for it otherwise you end up using the default shipped with the distro (normally Firefox these days).

Apple on the otherhand, their entire marketing strategy is based around locking users into the Apple Experience. How they are evading the EU's gaze is beyond me!

It does seem a little one-sided that Windows is the only OS forced to go through this annoying browser choice garbage.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    That's the advantage Apple have. They are primarily a hardware vendor. They can put whatever they like on their products unlike Microsoft who, as a software vendor, have to cater for a wide range of compatible systems.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast