I'm experimenting with a Windows 7 test machine at the moment, but I can't seem to get folder redirection to work. Originally I just expected that the documents redirect which was already in place would continue to work, but I couldn't get anywhere with it. I'd heard people say that the policy needed to be re-created from a server 2008 r2 box, so I used an "XP only" WMI filter on the old GPO, and created a new one with a "7 only" WMI.
Looking at RSOP on the Windows 7 PC tells me that only the new policy is applying. This is as expected; however, the following error is listed under folder redirection:
"Folder Redirection failed due to the error listed below. Cannot complete this function."
I've done the usual GPUpdate etc to no avail.
Any ideas folks?
I would start off by creating the GPO from a windows 2008 r2 box or an windows 7 machine. Seen weird things when creating them from windows xp box (due to wrong ADM, ADMX files being applied).
The new policy was created from a Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition machine.
Interestingly, If I login with some other accounts, the redirection seems to work differently. As the BUILTIN\Administrator account, only the music folder redirects. As my personal admin account (also Enterprise Admins group) Music, Photos and Videos redirects. As the generic teacher test account, documents works too.
I'm wondering if it's only failing on accounts which were used before the policy applied properly (I.E. the BUILTIN\Administrator one). I've tried deleting my folder from the c:\users directory but that didn't help either.
Am I doing something stupid?
scott, would you mind explaining your processes as to how you did it? I run a W7/2008R2 environment and have never had an issue with folder redirection...
I assume your post was aimed at me :)
Until recently, my network was 2k3 R2/XP. I've upgraded all but one of the DCs to 2k8 R2 which has been fine with all my XP clients. I've now got Windows 7 both on my laptop and on a dedicated test machine. Originally, I made no policy changes when upgrading to 7 and had no success with folder redirection on either machine.
I did a bit of reading online, and somewhere read a comment about the policy needing to be a new one from a 2k8 R2 machine in order to be 7 compatible. How true this is, I don't know, but I tried it and it made no difference.
The error message "Folder Redirection failed due to the error listed below. Cannot complete this function." is neither discriptive or helpful, and very little came back with I googled it :(
I'm going to try it with a pupil's account later to see if it's just the administrators group that it doesnt work for...
Its very true. We did as you did and found it to be full of faults, you would need to recreate the policy from scratch on 2K8R2 for W7, and it will work much better.
I'd already recreated the policy from a 2008 R2 server.
Don't worry though - I've found a solution.
I tracked the fault down to being only on accounts which had already logged onto the 7 client during setup/configuration. Redirection worked fine for everyone else. The logical solution from there was to delete the local profiles for these users by going to Control Panel : System : Advanced System Settings : User Profiles.
Gpupdate /force /boot, and upon next logon everything worked nicely :)
Note to self: Time to try and get GPP Printer Deployment working (Print server is 2k3 R2 so drivers are an issue) :)
GPP printing is far simpler in 2k8r2. If there is a driver issue for it, I found using the vista drivers works just as well.