+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Best way to install/map printers at logon for a university in Technical; Hello, I work at a university where all of the computers are on the same domain. Each department has their ...

Thank Post

Best way to install/map printers at logon for a university

Hello,

I work at a university where all of the computers are on the same domain. Each department has their own OU in AD, where the technicians have access to create groups, computers, and to modify policies.

Right now, after imaging a new computer, we manually install print drivers on each machine individually, depending on where the machine is going. We use Konica Minolta copy machines and these machines are setup to use Account Track codes, to track printing and to ensure only authorized users can print to the printers. We also have many "local" printers that are connected via ethernet and are assigned an IP address on the campus network.

What I am looking to accomplish is some kind of way to automate installing printers and drivers, depending upon where the machine is going. We have the issue with the Konica copiers that the Account Track codes are stored on a per-user basis, so have not found a way to automate setting these up. We currently have to visit the computer in-person when the local user will be there, and have them login to the machine so we can insert the correct print code. If the machine is in a shared location, this code needs to be entered once for every user that signs into the machine.

Obviously, there has to be a better way to do this. We do not have any kind of print server setup, as we do not have full control over the domain, just our OU's for the various departments we support.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to better automate this for us? A sample script for adding printers depending on AD group membership would be great. And if anyone has experience with the Account Track codes for Konica Minolta machines, that assistance would be a god send!

My goal is to make printers as easy to manage as possible -- ideally, when a user first signs into a machine, the logon script that maps their shared drives could also check their AD group membership and then install the print drivers and set the default printer, and any Account Track codes that were needed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide! I am familar with AD basics, such as a logon script, adding groups and users to groups, and adding computers. I've looked into Group Policy Management a bit but haven't explored too much because I don't want to break things in a production environment. Please keep this in mind when replying with instructions

Thank Post
    Install them on a print server, or create one on an existing server. then publish them at log in.

We have a central staff print queue, which all staff see.
    But then if a printer is in a room, we have a OU for that room, with that printer published to it.

So printers are installed at start up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
    Install them on a print server, or create one on an existing server. then publish them at log in.

We have a central staff print queue, which all staff see.
    But then if a printer is in a room, we have a OU for that room, with that printer published to it.

So printers are installed at start up
    We have some old OU's from 2005 that are named by the printer name and then AD group membership is assigned to the printers. But, these scripts don't work. Could you kindly point me in the direction of how to setup a printer server? We do not have access to the university servers to set this up and do not run any server OSes in our departments.

Here's an example of the old scripts from 2005 that are no longer in use. We've since transitioned from XP to 7 so I am not sure if these will still work. These scripts also do not install the drivers...

Code:
    ' Usage:' prnport [-adlgt?] [-r port] [-s server] [-u user name] [-w password] 
    '                   [-o raw|lpr] [-h host address] [-q queue] [-n number]
    '                   [-me | -md ] [-i SNMP index] [-y community] [-2e | -2d]"

cscript c:\windows\system32\prnport.vbs -a -r IP_192.168.1.10 -h 192.168.1.10 -o raw -n 9100
    cscript c:\windows\system32\prnmngr.vbs -a -p "Test Printing" -m "Test printer" -r IP_192.168.1.10
    cscript c:\windows\system32\prnmngr.vbs -t -p "Test Printing"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread