+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Folder Redirection - point of despair :( :( [PICS] in Technical; Originally Posted by Miscbrah AD has the profile as \fs1\profiles\%username% and the home folder (W: ) as \fs1\homes. If you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    AD has the profile as \\fs1\profiles\%username% and the home folder (W: ) as \\fs1\homes.
    If you log on to a client with a test user and do start run \\fs1\homes\%username% or \\fs1\homes\%username%\home do you get the expected folder contents?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If you log on to a client with a test user and do start run \\fs1\homes\%username% or \\fs1\homes\%username%\home do you get the expected folder contents?

Ben
    I don't, that doesn't work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    I don't, that doesn't work.
    What does \\fs1\homes give you? In terms of files/folders shown, if that's where you're pointing it normally. (Running same as plexers example)

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For those who are unfamiliar with SAMBA the 'homes' share is 'magic'. It enables automatic sharing out of the home folder of the user who is connected. *however* the documented behaviour appears to be at odds with what is being described in this thread.

Some questions to try to draw all the relevant facts into one place.

From the perspective of the user logged onto a client machine:
    * what unc are they connected to when they access their home folder?
    * what do you see if you issue 'net view \\fs1
    * what do you see if you issue 'net use'
    * what folder structure you see within their home folder?

From the server's local perspective:
    * what is the path to their home folder?
    * what folder structure do you see within their home folder?
    * what is the path to their roaming profile?
    * what folder structure do your see within their roaming profile?

What is the AD User Home Directory?
    What is the AD User Profile Folder?
    Are profiles roaming?
    Is profile roaming actually working?
    Are any folders excluded, if so, which ones?
    What setting do you use to map your home folder on the client machine?
    Do you have any scripted/reg tweaked folder redirections going on?
    Where are the following special folders actually pointing to when a user is logged on?
    * Documents
    * Pictures
    * Movies
    * Favorites
    * AppData
    * Games
    * Contacts
    Is this what is expected?

What how where and why are your Offline Files settings as they are?
    What exactly have you done to your Libraries?
    is cscpolicy set anywhere in your smb.conf?

Is the Client machine Windows 7 sp1 with all latest Windows Updates installed?
    Have you installed any hotfixes for Profiles or CSC?

Thank Post
    Good plan, I've answered each one as best I can.

From the perspective of the user logged onto a client machine:
    * what unc are they connected to when they access their home folder? Home drives are W:, this shows as "\\fs1\homes" in My Computer.
    * what do you see if you issue 'net view \\fs1 Nothing seems to happen, run line closes.
    * what do you see if you issue 'net use' Nothing seems to happen, run line closes.
    * what folder structure you see within their home folder? A usual user's mess of a home area, and occasionally the odd folder created by a random folder redirection success. Not sure if you mean I need to look out for anything distinct or not.

From the server's local perspective:
    * what is the path to their home folder? "\\fs1\homes" without the "". As in, that is 100% literally LITERALLY everything in that field in AD. From the point of view of that Linux server where it actually is, it would be /home/staff/<whatever their username is>/home
    * what folder structure do you see within their home folder? Terminal in form a Linux box and see the contents of their home area as expected.
    * what is the path to their roaming profile? In AD it's "\\fs1\profiles\%username%" and server-side that's /home/staff/<whatever their username is>/profile
    * what folder structure do your see within their roaming profile? /home/staff/<whatever their username is>/profile/<whatever their username is>.V2 has at the moment a folder called AppData, Default.rdp, a folder called Desktop, a folder called Favorites, NTUSER.DAT, ntuser.ini, ntuser.pol

What is the AD User Home Directory?
    "\\fs1\homes" without the ""
    What is the AD User Profile Folder? "\\fs1\profiles\%username%" without the ""
    Are profiles roaming? Yes
    Is profile roaming actually working? I guess? How do I tell? If you mean, as in, save something to the desktop and does it copy up to the server version and come back down next time they log in here or elsewhere then yes it does that.
    Are any folders excluded, if so, which ones? This bit I'm not sure what you mean. Excluded forlders? From the profile or the home area? I don't know what excluding folders in this way might mean, sorry :/
    What setting do you use to map your home folder on the client machine? It's set in AD as W: - is this what you mean?
    Do you have any scripted/reg tweaked folder redirections going on? Got some brutal mods to the Libraries. WRITE UP IS HERE
    Where are the following special folders actually pointing to when a user is logged on?
    * Documents
    * Pictures
    * Movies
    * Favorites
    * AppData
    * Games
    * Contacts
    Is this what is expected?
    Just so we're singing from the same songsheet, do you mean go to C:\users\%username% and look in there?

What how where and why are your Offline Files settings as they are? Hangover from when we had XP clients too. That policy is gone now (taken out a few horus ago.)
    What exactly have you done to your Libraries? WRITE UP IS HERE

is cscpolicy set anywhere in your smb.conf?I don't know. Will ask the boss, I don't know Linux and am loth to go rummaging in smb.conf, given how one touch in a non-gui text editor can bork so much.

Is the Client machine Windows 7 sp1 with all latest Windows Updates installed?
    Yes

Have you installed any hotfixes for Profiles or CSC?
    No

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok excellent. To answer your queries:a

* what do you see if you issue 'net view \\fs1 Nothing seems to happen, run line closes.
    * what do you see if you issue 'net use' Nothing seems to happen, run line closes.

open a cmd window and issue the comands from there (without the ' ')

* what folder structure you see within their home folder? (YES that was exactly what I meant)

Is profile roaming actually working? (looks like it is from that info, but best to have a quick check in the application event log)

Are any folders excluded, if so, which ones? (By this I mean it is possible to exclude the 'well known' folders from roaming, this is often done on the Documents folder to improve raoming logon performance. Without folder redirection it mean that anything saved to that folder remains in the local copy of the user profile and is never copied back up to the server. It is controlled through group policies: "User Configuration-Policies-Administrative Tempates-Network-User Profiles")

What setting do you use to map your home folder on the client machine? It's set in AD as W: - is this what you mean? yes
    Do you have any scripted/reg tweaked folder redirections going on? Got some brutal mods to the Libraries. WRITE UP IS HERE Excellent. I'll read it as soon as I've done the paperwork I'm supposed to be doing. It will probably teach me a thing or two. After training the whole school how they work, i've always left well alone
    Where are the following special folders actually pointing to when a user is logged on? YEs, so if they go into Documents or Pictures in explorer where is the physical folder that they are viewing?

By the look of it you are asking RUP and Folder redirection to do quite a bit of work the first time a user logs on with the new settings. I would definitely advocate applying the latest user profile, csc, tcpip etc. hotfixes as there were some horrible bugs in the sp1 release.
    Last edited by psydii; 15th August 2012 at 02:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Surely for folder redirection to work as expected windows needs to be able to connect to a unc that fully connects to a users home folder??? such as \\fs1\home\jbloggs

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Surely for folder redirection to work as expected windows needs to be able to connect to a unc that fully connects to a users home folder??? such as \\fs1\home\jbloggs

Ben
    the HOMES share as presented by SAMBA is dynamic it presents the home folder of the user who is connected. (actually it is supposed to dynamically create the %username% share but that doesn't appear to be how it is working in this case.)

Folder redirection CAN be configured to put the username to be in the path, but it is not compulsory. Thus if HOMES is dynamic depending on the user connecting then 'redirect to following location' set to \\serverfqdn\homes\FolderName should do the trick.
    I suspect some reworking of the folder structure is going to be required to get this working neatly. But I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Thank Post
    Ooh hang on, just had it work ok with two separate users! Think I may have it, will write it up if so!!

Thank Post
    Beh, sorry no updates yet. Gotta concentrate on something else for the time being.

Thank Post
    DAMMIT!!!

No still not working. When I get back MOnday I'll resume the troubleshooting.

Oh hell WHY won't this just WORK????

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    Ok excellent. To answer your queries:a

open a cmd window and issue the comands from there (without the ' ')

* what folder structure you see within their home folder? (YES that was exactly what I meant)

Is profile roaming actually working? (looks like it is from that info, but best to have a quick check in the application event log)

Are any folders excluded, if so, which ones? (By this I mean it is possible to exclude the 'well known' folders from roaming, this is often done on the Documents folder to improve raoming logon performance. Without folder redirection it mean that anything saved to that folder remains in the local copy of the user profile and is never copied back up to the server. It is controlled through group policies: "User Configuration-Policies-Administrative Tempates-Network-User Profiles")

What setting do you use to map your home folder on the client machine? It's set in AD as W: - is this what you mean? yes
    Do you have any scripted/reg tweaked folder redirections going on? Got some brutal mods to the Libraries. WRITE UP IS HERE Excellent. I'll read it as soon as I've done the paperwork I'm supposed to be doing. It will probably teach me a thing or two. After training the whole school how they work, i've always left well alone
    Where are the following special folders actually pointing to when a user is logged on? YEs, so if they go into Documents or Pictures in explorer where is the physical folder that they are viewing?

By the look of it you are asking RUP and Folder redirection to do quite a bit of work the first time a user logs on with the new settings. I would definitely advocate applying the latest user profile, csc, tcpip etc. hotfixes as there were some horrible bugs in the sp1 release.
    Okay, right. Getting back to this, thanks so much for the help. I'll apply the fixes as far as I can and report back.

No folders are excluded as above.

If I click on a folder that's redirected successfully by going to the users' folder in windows explorer, if it's worked it'll show the correct path, and if not it'll be the c:\users path.

Also worth noting that, while in there, I've got LOTS of one kind of folder (eg there'll be half a dozen 'Favourites' folders in there all pointing to the same place...) I'm guessing this is a hangover from ticking the 'Leave contents when policy is removed' during experiments...

Oh and I NOW HAVE A UNC PATH with %username% in it

Thank Post
    Right, not sure any of the patches on the second page resemble problems I'm having.

I'm no further along.

Anything else I might try?

Thank Post
    I managed to do this ok yesterday. In mine, rather than selecting the path to redirect to, there was an option to "Redirect to users home folder". I selected that and tested it ok

Thank Post
    Heh, I'm jealous.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast