+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Folder Redirection - point of despair :( :( [PICS] in Technical; Assuming \fs1\homes has a list of your current users there, with the documents etc happily showing, have you tried setting ...
    Thank Post
    Assuming \\fs1\homes has a list of your current users there, with the documents etc happily showing, have you tried setting Target Folder location in the Documents Folder Redirection to "Create a folder for each user under the root path" as suggested by KMount earlier in the thread?

As my fellow Swindon Tech suggests, try putting the %username% value into the AD path on a test account with your current Target folder setting and see what the event log shows

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Logged on to your client as a domain user does \\lfs1\homes\%username% get you to the relevant users home folder?

If so then definately try with that set as the user home folder path.

How is your user home drive mapped, gpo, script, magic?

Ben

Thank Post
    I've been stumped by the same problem and I did the following:

Set your users home drive/folder in AD to \\SERVER\SHARE$\USERNAME as normal.

Then set each of the folder redirections to "Basic - redirect everyoones folder to the same location" and type in %HOMESHARE%\FOLDER e.g for desktop use %HOMESHARE%\Desktop etc.

You will get an error when you save the setting warning you about UNC paths, but it should work.

I have never got it to work with the "create a folder for each user on this share" or any other way, but this way does work for me, so it might work for you!

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 14th August 2012 at 07:38 PM.

4. Thanks to maniac from:

Miscbrah (14th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Cheers guys. Will try tomorrow and then hit you back.

Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Logged on to your client as a domain user does \\lfs1\homes\%username% get you to the relevant users home folder?

If so then definately try with that set as the user home folder path.

How is your user home drive mapped, gpo, script, magic?

Ben
    Heh, no not magic. Set to W: in AD Profile tab.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    That's the thing though if it's just set to \\lfs1\homes\ I cannot see how that can be evaluated by the client to map w: to the correct place unless there was also a login script being run to do say net use w: \\lfs1\homes\%username%

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if spending some time getting an understanding of what the linux/samba server is doing and how it is configured might be a worthwhile endeavour. At the very least check the version of Samba in play and weather it is AD integrated or using a sync'd copy of the user list.

Long long ago I did once see a samba installation present different folders to different users from what on the face of it appeared to be the same UNC path. But that was on VMS and I wasn't an admin then.

Thank Post
    Hmmm... I am also redirecting Libraries in an aggressive way, by removing the default c:\users\public locations. I've done this by outright replacing the .library-ms files with ones of my own creation, which steer to the W: drive.

Offline files are disabled as well as all syncing.

This setting off any sparks? :/

And yes getting to grips with Samba is something I've wanted to do, it's just the time and the prohibitively complex learning involved with Linux when I've got other work to do to, that's knocked that as a priority. :/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Hmmm... I am also redirecting Libraries in an aggressive way, by removing the default c:\users\public locations. I've done this by outright replacing the .library-ms files with ones of my own creation, which steer to the W: drive.
    What exactly are you doing with the library file that isn't done without it normally? Seems a strange setup

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That SAMBA HOMES magic:
    smb.conf
    Search for HOMES

My understanding is that at the moment you have Roaming Profiles and no folder redirection, but you have existing network home folders.

Question: Are your roaming profiles on a different share to your home folders?

11. Thanks to psydii from:

Miscbrah (15th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    That SAMBA HOMES magic:
    smb.conf
    Search for HOMES

My understanding is that at the moment you have Roaming Profiles and no folder redirection, but you have existing network home folders.

Question: Are your roaming profiles on a different share to your home folders?
    From a Linux perspective, the homes folders are /home/staff/<whatever their username is>/home the profiles are right next to them in /home/staff/<whatever their username is>/profile

In the test account however, (which is working ok) the profile is on another Windows server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    What exactly are you doing with the library file that isn't done without it normally? Seems a strange setup

Steve
    Removing that default Library location is the thing to do, right? Or it'd just save everything in the default 'Public' location until someone adds another location manually. Thought I'd scrub that right away or it'd be asking for trouble.

Have I missed the point on something? Why would you say it's strange to do it that way? I'm wondering now if I'm getting to something...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This may be relevant to your issue. The share that holds the user profile Must have cscpolicy=disabled set. The share that holds the Documents folder is best served by cscpolicy=programs (a change in behaviour between xp and 7 is the way 7 wants to cache redirected documents is more akin to the old 2k/xp method for programs).

It is generaly accepted best practice to keep your RUP completely separate from your redirected folders. so \\server\profiles\username for a users RUP and \\server\homes for the root of their redirected folders.

Moving between configurations is where it can get very sticky. As a test I would:
    1) create a new user with their home and profile set as typical user for your site.
    2) Log on and off then confirm folder creation etc is correct as per a typical user for your site.
    3) log on and via the client machine populate your documents music etc.
    4) log off and confirm that the data is stored in the expected place.
    5) enable the folder redirection policy
    6) Confirm that it all goes wrong still.

Blow away the user and their files and folders, including removing the user profile from the client machine via the correct GUI tool.

Now create a profile share. Samba & Windows Profiles - SambaWiki (some of the information about the way windows does things is xp era w7 is very different)
    change the profile property of your test user in AD
    unlink the folder redirection gpo

reboot the client

repeat the steps 1-6.
    is there a difference?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    of course, it is entirely possible that they are already on separate shares.... what are the settings from AD's perspective?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    of course, it is entirely possible that they are already on separate shares.... what are the settings from AD's perspective?

AD has the profile as \\fs1\profiles\%username% and the home folder (W: ) as \\fs1\homes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure on this one...
    Our's is just basic redirection to the users home folder, which is defined in AD - connecting to N:\ as \\ourschool.internal\public\Users\Students\YearofE ntry\%username%
    My Pictures etc all follows the My Documents folders. Just works, but then we're solely Windows.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast