+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, student GPO for for windows 7 in Technical; I am on the beg for a really locked down student GPO for for windows 7 to get us started ...
    Thank Post

student GPO for for windows 7

I am on the beg for a really locked down student GPO for for windows 7 to get us started I have just created a Central Store for Group Policy Administrative Templates using this How to create a Central Store for Group Policy Administrative Templates in Window Vista and I have now realised just how many setting there are. What I am looking for is a basic set to get up and running with so the little darlings don't create hell when they come back come to think of it the students could be just as bad .

I know this is a big ask but I am sure I will pass back the favor at some time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Email sent edie

3. 3 Thanks to FN-GM:

edie209 (8th August 2012), MrWu (17th August 2012), rslulz (10th August 2012)

Thank Post
    FN-GM
    Any chance you could send me the Win 7 GPO? Just starting to look at Win 7 on our domain.

Cheers

Thank Post
    FN-GM I'd love to see what you've got for this. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry only just spotted this. PM me with your email i will send it.

7. 2 Thanks to FN-GM:

MrWu (17th August 2012), ozydave (13th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Hey Fn-Gm I would love to see this, I am having issues locking down stuff there so much too, this would be a great help

Thank Post
    Remember it's all good getting others to send you GPO's, but I strongly recommend you only use it for guidance. You will learn so much more by going through all the settings your self, and this way you will know exactly how your clients are being locked down and what setting effects what for when you need to change it.
    It can take a little bit of time and be a bit frustrating testing settings to see if they achieve what you want, but it's defiantly worth it in my opinion.

10. Thanks to ihaveaproblem from:

Roberto (12th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    Remember it's all good getting others to send you GPO's, but I strongly recommend you only use it for guidance. You will learn so much more by going through all the settings your self, and this way you will know exactly how your clients are being locked down and what setting effects what for when you need to change it.
    This - it's maybe not a bad idea to look at other people's GPOs to see how they're put together but I'm a firm believer that people need to roll their own in order to be able to meet the needs of their users better (do you really want to have to tell people that no, they can't search their documents because some guy on edugeek doesn't want THEIR users searching their documents for some reason, and you don't know how to turn it back on?) and to better support your users when they have a problem related to a GPO setting... which they will, they always do.
    Last edited by Roberto; 12th August 2012 at 06:47 PM.

12. Thanks to Roberto from:

DrCheese (29th September 2012)

Thank Post
    I've found the problem is not locking it down, it's unlocking it afterwards.

I've just re-build my GPO's for my prep school. I could have jsut given them the senior school one's and tweeked them to cover the couple of differences however it was usefull for a number of reasons. Whislt I copied most of the setting by going through it I found a couple of new things I hadn't spotted before. I also found the fix to a couple of items that I had in the past been struggling to resolve. I aslo found that by only putting in the things that were relevant it let me remove a lot of obsolete keys. I actually think the logon is much quicker even though the prep school networking is much worse.

It might seem like a time consuming PITA but going through the whole thing youself is probably best in the long run. Especially as some things can no make sense without explanation. in my case you might wonnder why I have a security policy blocking executables from drive letters E and F. Unless you know that I'm also using USBDLM to force memry sticks to only use letters E and F this looks odd.

Thank Post
    Thanks Fn-Gm will have a play. Do you redirect the other libraries? I'm having a nightmare with them, read and tried most of the posts on edugeek. Guess I'll get it sorted at some point.
    Thanks
    Again

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ozydave View Post
    Thanks Fn-Gm will have a play. Do you redirect the other libraries? I'm having a nightmare with them, read and tried most of the posts on edugeek. Guess I'll get it sorted at some point.
    Thanks
    Again
    Just to let you know you aren't alone. I have been banging my head against GPO's for the last week. I thought I had it and generally they are as I want them it is just libraries, redirects and user document links that are causing me grief!!

Thank Post
    I'm the same. Got 15 RM one's coming tomorrow with Windows 7, just set up 1 HP machine with Windows 7 on. Tested Win 7 a few weeks ago and got what I thought was OK. Just need to redirect documents now, and stop the beggers adding folders to desktop

Thank Post
    Hi FN-GM

Any chance me too buddy?

Thanks alot

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread