+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 WDS Deployment - USB 3.0 Driver Package Won't Install in Technical; Hi all, I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and can advise on best course of action. Yesterday I ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 WDS Deployment - USB 3.0 Driver Package Won't Install

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and can advise on best course of action.

Yesterday I needed to deploy my standard Windows 7 Pro x86 Image to a new set of Stone Laptops (Model NB-1103). I added all the drivers for the Stone Laptops in a separated driver packages node as I normally do, then deployed my image.

Everything installed perfectly except the 'USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller' which renders the USB 3.0 ports useless! As a test on the laptop after deployment I went into device manager and selected 'update driver' and pointed it to the location where I backed up all the Stone Laptop drivers, and it installed perfectly from the USB folder!!

Things I've tried:

Latest USB 3.0 driver from Stone Computers (Re-imaged - FAILED!)
    Latest USB 3.0 driver from Intel (Re-imaged - FAILED!)

I've looked around on the web and a few people have had this on Lenovo and Dell laptops, but there's been no answers apart from they're saying it's a bug with Intel and Windows 7.

My standard Windows 7 image has never failed using WDS and adding driver packages up until now, and if new machines are being delivered to our schools with USB 3.0 ports - it's going to become a huge issue.

My workaround was to deploy my standard image to the new Stone Laptop (driver package used), but stop it from joining the domain. Install the USB 3.0 driver manually then sysprep and capture a new image so I can then deploy that to the rest of the new Stones. A real pain in the backside JUST for one driver!!!

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    Does it have an installer that you can run as an executable from the task sequence?

Ben

Thank Post
    can you create a "check-and-run-if-not-present" VBS to install them on start up from a GPO? We've had to do that with some dell sound drivers that fail in the image.

Thank Post
    Hi Plexer - I use WDS not MDT so I don't have the option of Task Sequences. I may have to get my head around using MDT 2012 if it gives greater flexibility with driver packages ?

Hi Oaktech - the driver does have a setup.exe which can run silently. I tested this manually on one of the laptops and it worked fine. It's just so annoying that you have to set a GPO to add one driver add-hoc. If that's the only solution, then I guess I'll have to set that up. Do you have any 'Check-and-run-if-not-present" scripts? My scripting is not great!

Also, my 'Standard' Windows 7 Image caters for about 6 different types of machine around the school, so if I use a VB Script - it needs to avoid trying to install to the other machines.

Thanks for your quick responses
    Last edited by thatley; 8th August 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Thank Post
    When the driver installs from the setup, does it create any folders or does it just copy files, because you will need to modify the script to check for exactly what gets installed...

Code:
       @echo off
    IF EXIST PathToTheProgramOrFile (
    echo Installing Your Program..
    yourprogram.exe /qb norestart
    ) Else (
    YourProgram.exe /qb /norestart
    yourprogram.exe /qb norestart
    )
    I would consider creating an OU for this particular laptop to allow you to target the driver specifically at these machines
    Last edited by Oaktech; 8th August 2012 at 01:31 PM.

6. Thanks to Oaktech from:

thatley (10th August 2012)

Thank Post
    It just copies files, no folders get created.

Excellent, thanks I'll give that a go

Thank Post
    For information, I've found a much better way of getting these USB 3.0 drivers deployed automatically (and any other problematic drivers that won't install via WDS). I used the DISM GUI 3.1.1 Tool from Mike Celone (search on google for this), which is fantastic for injecting drivers into your offline image. I added all the relevant USB 3.0 drivers and they were installed as a PNP device automatically - Job Done!

Thanks for all your help

9. 7 Thanks to thatley:

AngryTechnician (11th March 2013), Duke5A (1st October 2012), Jollity (20th July 2013), LolekUK (23rd January 2014), old_n07 (11th March 2013), ShadowPeo (21st February 2013), timpaxton (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just ran into this today with a Dell Latitude E5530. I install the drivers by hand on a test rig before adding them to the WDS console and I think I know why this fails. The USB3 driver actually has two separate drivers that need to install, but prior to installing the first driver Windows only sees one device missing a driver. After this gets installed is when the second device will show up in Device Manager. So yeah, adding these to the offline image is pretty much the only way to get around this. Absolutely weird....

Thank Post
    Same issues with Dell Latitude E6430s and Dell Optiplex 9010 All in One. I can confirm what Duke states though about it installing one driver, then the the second one (the USB root hub to be precise) showing up, it is just wierd as this has happened with other devices I have used in the past and it worked fine, just not with this USB root hub

Thank Post
    Just had this with the 9010 AIO as well, used the DISM GUI app to update the WIM to fix the issue as suggested by Thatley

Thank Post
    Hi all,

I've come across a number of chipset drivers that won't install with WDS too. So I use the DISM Gui app every time now - works perfectly. Shame we have to do it, but it takes no time at all.

Glad this has helped some of you

Thank Post
    Just found this post couple of days ago, DISM Gui worked like a charm. USB 3.0 drivers installed. Thanks!

Thank Post
    Do these drivers require .net/c++ runtimes? Do you push out anything through gpo that would yave put these pre reqs in place when you install it. MDT is great and a lot easier than wds. WDS is really a tool for pxe and multicast. MDT adds drivers on the fly using dism provided pre reqs are in the images.

Thank Post
    I found this thread looking for an answer to the USB 3.0 via WDS problem. Using DISM Gui didn't really fit in with what I was trying to do. It made the process of updating my golden image kind of clumsy as I would've had to export the wim from WDS then inject the drivers and then import back again and do this every time the image needed updating.
    So I found an alternative solution on another site. I thought I would post it here in case anyone else is looking for a solution to the issue.

I simply created a new driver group in WDS and set it to install all drivers in the group. Then I created a filter to target only the machines that required this driver and then added the USB 3 drivers to that group, removing them from my plug and play group. I did this using manufacturer name and bios version. The help file in wds contains the relevant wmic commands to extract this information.

The good thing about this solution is that you can continue to update the image without worrying about having to inject the drivers again later. Also 7 series chipsets require version 1 of the driver and 8 series require version 2, if you create two driver groups you can target these machines seperately.

17. 2 Thanks to fuzz:

plexer (1st March 2014), TomTomGo (11th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
    I found this thread looking for an answer to the USB 3.0 via WDS problem. Using DISM Gui didn't really fit in with what I was trying to do. It made the process of updating my golden image kind of clumsy as I would've had to export the wim from WDS then inject the drivers and then import back again and do this every time the image needed updating.
    So I found an alternative solution on another site. I thought I would post it here in case anyone else is looking for a solution to the issue.

I simply created a new driver group in WDS and set it to install all drivers in the group. Then I created a filter to target only the machines that required this driver and then added the USB 3 drivers to that group, removing them from my plug and play group. I did this using manufacturer name and bios version. The help file in wds contains the relevant wmic commands to extract this information.

The good thing about this solution is that you can continue to update the image without worrying about having to inject the drivers again later. Also 7 series chipsets require version 1 of the driver and 8 series require version 2, if you create two driver groups you can target these machines seperately.
    That's a good idea. I was using DISM to inject the USB3 drivers but all of a sudden it no longer works. I inject the drivers successfully but the OS is not installing them. Even after the OS boots it tries to install one of the drivers but then never installs the second. I have to manually install the driver from the device manager's Update Driver option. I can't figure it out. I've even started from scratch. The only difference is the new image has the latest Windows Updates.

I'm going to put my USB 3 drivers into a new driver group and select the option to apply them all. I'll filter it by manufacturer as we only have Lenovo laptops.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast