+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 WDS Deployment - USB 3.0 Driver Package Won't Install in Technical; Do the drivers require c++ runtimes?...
    Thank Post
    Do the drivers require c++ runtimes?

Thank Post
    I have the Optiplex 9010's and 9020's. If I inject the USB3 drivers into the image, they will BSOD after installing the drivers.

Solution: I have my image Unattend file run a script which copies the 2 folders (9010-USB3 & 9020-USB3) and the setupcomplete.cmd to the C:\Windows\Setup\Scripts folder.

In SetupComplete.cmd, I use wmic computersystem get model to determine which drivers to install. pushd to the appropriate folder, and run setup -s (silent install).

Now the drivers for the USB3 are installed just before the installation is complete.

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jvennes View Post
    I have the Optiplex 9010's and 9020's. If I inject the USB3 drivers into the image, they will BSOD after installing the drivers.

Solution: I have my image Unattend file run a script which copies the 2 folders (9010-USB3 & 9020-USB3) and the setupcomplete.cmd to the C:\Windows\Setup\Scripts folder.

In SetupComplete.cmd, I use wmic computersystem get model to determine which drivers to install. pushd to the appropriate folder, and run setup -s (silent install).

Now the drivers for the USB3 are installed just before the installation is complete.

Hope this helps
    Any way you could possibly send me a copy of your files so I could use them as an example? I get BSODs on my hardware and would like to use the SetupComplete method to finish things up.

Thank Post
    namechange.cmd is called by the image unattend.xml in WDS.

Code:
     @echo off
    pushd %~dp0

:: This script is called by unattend.xml

:: Copy setupcomplete.cmd, and the 2 usb drivers to local computer for install completion.
    if not exist %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts md %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts
    xcopy /e /y /i /q /c . %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\

:: Rename the computer to its registered DNS name, then reboot.
    wsname /N:$DNS /reboot

popd
    Here is my setupcomplete.cmd:

Code:
     @echo off
    title %0
    pushd %~dp0
    setlocal enableextensions

:: ==================================================================================================
    :: This script is the last script that runs after the Windows setup is complete.
    :: This is where we do the final cleanup, activate MS office, and finally,
    :: join the computer to the domain and delete this file! (Modified 03/07/2014 -JFV)         
    :: ==================================================================================================

:: Activate MS Office 2013 products
     %WINDIR%\System32\cscript.exe "%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office\Office15\ospp.vbs" /act

:: Delete the sysprep folder created by GHOST (if it exists)
    if exist %SYSTEMDRIVE%\sysprep rd /s /q %SYSTEMDRIVE%\sysprep

:: Delete the unattend.xml files (may contain passwords).
    if exist %WINDIR%\System32\sysprep\unattend.xml del /Q /F %WINDIR%\System32\sysprep\unattend.xml
    if exist %WINDIR%\Panther\unattend.xml del /Q /F %WINDIR%\Panther\unattend.xml

:: Check to see if this is an Optiplex 9010/9020 and install USB3 drivers
    wmic computersystem get model | findstr /i /c:"Optiplex 9010"
    if not errorlevel 1 set target=Optiplex_9010-USB3
    wmic computersystem get model | findstr /i /c:"OptiPlex 9020"
    if not errorlevel 1 set target=Optiplex_9020-USB3
    if defined target (
        pushd %target% 
            setup -s
        popd
    )

:: Join the domain
    netdom join %COMPUTERNAME% /domain:engr /UserD:accountop /PasswordD:xxxxxxxx /REB:5

:: Delete this script (because it contains a password).
    rd /s /q %windir%\Setup\Scripts
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by jvennes; 14th March 2014 at 08:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for this.

So do you place the .exe of the USB driver/software directly in %windir%\setup\scripts folder? "Optiplex_9010-USB3" <-- or is that a subfolder containing .inf files?

Thank Post
    So do you place the .exe of the USB driver/software directly in %windir%\setup\scripts folder? "Optiplex_9010-USB3" <-- or is that a subfolder containing .inf files?
    dir of WDS Scripts folder:
    Code:
    Directory of Y:\Scripts

03/14/2014  12:14 PM    <DIR>          .
    03/14/2014  12:14 PM    <DIR>          ..
    11/14/2013  03:11 PM    <DIR>          Optiplex_9010-USB3
    03/05/2014  04:46 PM    <DIR>          Optiplex_9020-USB3
    03/14/2014  11:47 AM               400 namechange.cmd
    03/07/2014  02:05 PM             4,800 setupcomplete.cmd
                   2 File(s)          5,200 bytes
    It's the complete driver package (which also installs the USB3mon service).
    Code:
     Directory of Y:\Scripts\Optiplex_9010-USB3

11/14/2013  03:11 PM    <DIR>          .
    11/14/2013  03:11 PM    <DIR>          ..
    08/13/2013  06:43 PM    <DIR>          apps
    08/13/2013  06:43 PM    <DIR>          Drivers
    08/13/2013  06:43 PM    <DIR>          Lang
    08/13/2013  06:43 PM    <DIR>          x64
    11/02/2006  09:21 AM           319,456 DIFxAPI.dll
    07/18/2013  02:44 AM             8,104 mup.xml
    08/13/2013  06:45 PM            46,134 Readme.txt
    07/18/2013  02:44 AM           961,784 Setup.exe
    08/09/2012  04:17 PM             5,226 Setup.if2
    07/18/2013  02:43 AM            41,984 USB3Ver.dll
                   6 File(s)      1,382,688 bytes

Thank Post
    I found this thread while searching for some answers, and I thought I'd register and share what I've learned so far about this, and other similar problems with WDS and drivers.

Update your image - Check out this link -http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2013/10/07/kernel-mode-driver-framework-1-11-update-what-it-is-and-why-you-need-it.aspx - The kernel mode driver framework was updated last year, and if your image doesn't have it, it may be causing problems.

Create a driver group - ideally you should have driver groups for each model you're imaging. You can also split out stuff like USB3 drivers and force them to install with every image by changing the applicability to "All driver packages in this group" in the group properties.

Use driver filters - Driver filters are of limited use on server 2008, but you will have some good options for segregating drivers. I don't recall them all, but you can certainly sort by chassis type and manufacturer. 2012 is MUCH better at this.

Use server 2012 for WDS - There have been some improvements, chief among them is driver filtering. If you have 2012 available in your organization, use it. You can now filter based on model. The model filter should be the model listed in WMI for the computer, you can find it by issuing the following command in CMD:

WMIC COMPUTERSYSTEM GET MODEL
    So you can create a driver group for a specific model, specify that all drivers must be installed from the group, and apply that driver group only to the specific model. This makes things MUCH easier when it comes to driver management. This upgrade solved 99% of my driver problems with WDS.

ScreenShot001.jpg ScreenShot002.jpg

This might not solve all of your problems, but hopefully it helps.

Thank Post
    I came across this thread earlier today because of a problem I've been having getting my WDS build to install the USB 3.0 Extensible Driver for HP Z230 CMT. I tried the DISM GUI app, no luck.

I then followed the suggestion to create a separate driver group. In the past I've been putting all my drivers in a single group per machine type. The driver package was created successfully but the drivers wouldn't load during install.

After creating a new driver package I attempted to add the package to the build and wouldn't you know, the new Package I created was not available. Turns out, by default the attribute window does not filter on USB which is the classification for these drivers. After adding the USB attribute filter the drivers appeared, I added the package to the WIM and all is good in the world. There were so many drivers in the original package that I created I didn't notice that the USB drivers were not being added during the Add Package process.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thank Post
    Thanks for this info, I tried the same setup as you and for some reason it doesn't seem to load the USB3 drivers. If I run the setupcomplete.cmd manually then the setupcomplete.cmd runs fine and the usb3 drivers load. I know the setupcomplete.cmd is running after sysprep because the other items in there run. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Had this at my last place.

Happened only on the laptop usb3. Desktop usb3s installed correctly.

Never found the answer but didn't look a great deal. Just called it a extra security feature.

idc

Thank Post
    Hi LVOgre,

I've just read your post regardig the new WDS filter options in 2012. I've set my filter options the same way as you but it didn't work at all with several models like m4700, m4600, m4800, e7440, e6330, e6320. Is it really working on your site?? I found an entry in the deployment debug log and it looks like wds is actually not able to check the model at all. I attached a screenshot. Would be nice to hear back from you! Thanks in advance.
    Cheers Alex
    wdsdebug.JPG

Thank Post
    I got this working after a while of trying things.
    I first loaded all the ED800 drivers (including the USB3 drivers) into WDS and put them in to their own group with "Applicability: Drivers packages maqtching client hardware)". Then I made a new group with only the USB3 drivers with "Applicability: All driver packages in the group). I think the windows installs first the Chipset drivers from the first driver group and after that the USB drivers from the USB3 group.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12