+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Strange offline file issue in Technical; Hello all, Having a strange issue where for all of our laptops we have configured for offline use. This works ...

Thank Post

Strange offline file issue

Hello all,

Having a strange issue where for all of our laptops we have configured for offline use. This works correctly i.e. i've told it to automatically make the homedrive available offline using the GPO in the user configuration and offline files are enabled in the computer (Laptops's GPO). The files are available offline when there is no network so that is working fine. However if the user creates a file or folders on the home drive offline it doesn't seem to sync them back to the server when they are back on the network?

Just wondering if anyone had this problem or any suggestions?

Windows 7 32bit Enterprise connecting to file shares of server 2008 r2, DCs are also server 2008 r2

Thanks,

Ash.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use 64bit here but that should make no difference, have you set it up under group policy to trigger a sync on logon and loggoff. There is an efficient sync option which just syncs changes which is default I think. Also are the policies set under user, computer or both.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

I didn't set the policy to sync at logon or logoff because these are only applicable to windows xp. The main sync setting is set on the user configuration (i.e. administratively allow offline files...). Offline files are set (i.e. to allow offline files) on the laptops only. The desktops don't need to sync and hence it is disabled on them.

The efficient sync setting is something like "Turn on economical application of administratively assigned offline files" this is set to enabled in the Laptops GPO (is the computer configuration setting)

Ash.
    Last edited by spc-rocket; 3rd August 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd turn it on anyway, there is also some settings floating around somewhere to do custom actions on triggers, stuff like on network disconnect, on network connect, on slow link etc. I sometimes sync these too. It may also be to do with NLA not figuring out you are inside the school, the laptops are'nt trying to use external non-domain DNS are they.

I also messed with the connectivity checking in NLA at one site to make it pick up connectivity quicker.

Are they running over wireless, if so it could be detecting it as a slow link which you can also tweak in those same gpo areas.

Also yes that is the setting I was talking about. If one is being annoying though I sometimes run a full sync while on cable just to make sure that it is all up to date to start with just to make sure that your changes are not stuck behind a queue of freshly ripped movies that the machine is patiently trying to sync up of the two MBit/s of actual wireless throughput you get through a whiteboard, filing cabinet and class load of pupils depite what you tell them about the fast cable lying next to it and the 90% of the rest of the room where it would work.

Thank Post
    Hiya,

Thanks for your help. I found that the following MS article which led me to think about the permissions and as soon as i applied these it started to work so that's all sorted now. The only thing is that as stated in the article we have the one big share for home folder and then sub folders underneath it for all users. This is where the perms issue happened. The only thing i'm not sure about is which exactly permissions its talking about. As a test i've give the following permission (this folder only) List folder data/read, read attributes, read extended attributes and Read.

Just wondering if i could get away with just read? Also noticed that the sync centre is now displaying the share of the home folders and its listing all folders for other users as well. I sure hope its not syncing the other users folders as well?

Users may receive an "Access is denied" error message if you make files and folders available for offline use

Ash.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not XP so it is less stupid but still not the smartest. You want to apply the mapping policies at the userlevel to the \\domain\dfs\documents\%username% the users should have ownership rights for their own folder and if you want your life easier you want the users to have the ability to create folders on the user documents share so that it can build them automagicly on first logon.

Applying the sync mapping to the user policy means that it will stamp it per user rather than per machine which will mean that it should not try to sync it unless the user has permissions to access the other users folders. We try not to have other staff logon to laptops as this can fill them up quickly with our staff. Unlike XP it will not kill the whole sync process when it hits another user share.

Thank Post
    Yes, it was a strange one, i thought the permissions were correct but obviously not for the sync to work correctly. Their logons are working correctly. I noticed that its only got the sync symbol next to the user's (whoever is logged in ) and no others so that looks like its only doing the current logged in user. Phew!!.

Thanks for you help. If possible could you provide some info on how you got setup with regards to what you suggested above.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Ash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread