+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Setting default user profile - here we go again! in Technical; Hi Seems its a bit of an issue with windows 7! XP allowed you to copy the profile across even ...

Thank Post

Setting default user profile - here we go again!

Hi

Seems its a bit of an issue with windows 7! XP allowed you to copy the profile across even if it wasnt officially supported by microsoft. Someone, somewhere has produced a 'fix' which allows you to perform this.

Windows 7 Customizing and Copying Default user profile with Windows Enabler

It works 'okay', but isnt really looking like providing a reliable solution. We don't use Microsoft based deployment tools and already have an efficient form of imaging. Apparently theres a way of doing this using 'sysprep' and an .xml file.

What we really want to achieve is to customise applications so they don't run 'first time' splash or registration screens when a new user logs in. We've managed to achieve other stuff like shortcuts, IE options and homepage etc via 2008 GP.

The main applications we want to 'fix' at the moment are:

Adobe CS3 = gives registration screen on new user login
    Videolan = gives options screen for 'updates' and a couple of other things on new user login
    Quicktime = wanted to disable 'content guide' for new user login.

Has anyone actually managed to lock down the above using registry edits out of interest? That will fix the issue for now at least.

Or am I missing something here and should we be installing the above as 'packages'? We install Office 2010 and a few others bits as packages.

I'm sure there will be more like wanting to customise sound card settings for cubase etc.

Any help on this will be appreciated!

Thanks
    Last edited by superatticman; 23rd July 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Thank Post
    ADOBE
    I can help with CS3 at least (I think - we're on CS6, but I would have thought it would work with CS3 too).
    CS6, by design, resets activation when you sysprep a machine - so even if you have a profile where you have run the registration wizard, it still prompts you.

To get round this, you need the AAME - Adobe Application Manager Enterprise (direct link to the .exe here: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/d...se_3_0_all.exe)

These instructions are copy/pasted from what I wrote on our wiki, so hope they help:

Install the Trial version of the Adobe Suite on the master PC - don't bother running/activating it as it will lose it anyway.
    Install the AAME and run it.
    When it opens, you want the bottom option - Serialization File and input the following info:
    * Location of Product Installation folder
    * Serialization Executable name - I just put Serialization
    * Save To: A network share that you can get to - I stuck ours in the netlogon share for now.

Once the serializarion file has been created, you have to run this command on every machine you have installed Adobe on (or stick it in the last steps of Sysprep):

\\<servername>\netlogon\serialization\Serialization\AdobeSeriali zation.exe --tool=VolumeSerialize

That should then activate and register Adobe on that machine - no more registration windows on first run.

Hope this helps and let us know if it works for CS3 - would be good to know

Edited to add:
    Just found the source page that I used to write my wiki page, might be useful:
    http://blogs.adobe.com/oobe/2012/05/...er-fishes.html

Another edit, to add in VLC:
    VLC
    VLC doesn't save anything to the registry apparently. The only way to make it not ask for network/updates options at first run is to add the following to the shortcut:
    --no-qt-privacy-ask
    e.g. "C:\Program Files\Videolan\VLC\vlc.exe" --no-qt-privacy-ask
    (take from: http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-...VLC_startup.3F)
    So you could just alter your start menu shortcuts for that one
    Last edited by Valyyn; 24th July 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for this, will give it a go. Its going to affect our VDI based machines a lot more, as it more or less runs a new session every time the user logs in. Hope we can start chipping away our our issues!

Will give you any feedback re the CS3.

cheers

Thank Post
    Are you using 'Roaming Profiles' or 'Mandatory Profiles' ?

Settings like these become a little more difficult to control if you're using Roaming Profiles, as the roaming profile only gets update periodically. Whereas a Mandatory Profile gets updated everytime the user logs on.

Thank Post
    Videolan fixed with that shortcut edit. Will be trying the CS3 fix on the next build.

Out of interest, can we do a partial copy of profile data to default user in windows7? Ie in windows XP, you could copy folders from c:\docs and settings\user\application data which included the likes of videolan, quicktime etc to c:\docs and settings\default user\application data ? This would then allow user settings for particular programmes to becomes default rather than the whole profile.

Will be looking into our profiling method too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread