+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Help! Upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional in Technical; Am at a different school and have 4 x laptops running Windows 7 Home Premium. The school has an EES ...
    Thank Post

Help! Upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional

Am at a different school and have 4 x laptops running Windows 7 Home Premium. The school has an EES and has asked me to upgrade them to Windows 7 Professional. No problem, I thought, downloaded the upgrade from the Volume Licensing Centre, copied it to disk and ran it.

And discovered Windows Anytime Upgrade! So Windows 7 won't let me run the upgrade disc and EES won't give me a license key for the Windows Anytime Upgrade.

How do I get round this? Do I have to do a fresh install of Windows 7?

Thank Post
    Just to confirm, neither the school's EES MAK key or the KMS key is accepted by Windows Anytime.

I try and run the upgrade disc and get prompted to go via Windows Anytime Upgrade. And Windows Anytime Upgrade won't let me upgrade because I don't have a valid key. Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    it can be done wither a reg hack to change versions then install the correct version over the top or my prefered way sysprep the pc pull an image into wds and you can upgrade home to pro via dism (but you cant ever get to enterprise or go from pro to home only upwards) i will try and find my documentation if it helps

Thank Post
    Sounds quite complex .... am currently trying to get round it by selecting a fresh install but haven't changed the version in the registry beforehand so will be interesting to see what happens. If you've got anything written down that'd be grand.

Considering the EES Agreements were supposed to make upgrades easier, I'm surprised it's this tricky!

Thank Post
    Find out what you can upgrade to:
    Dism /online /Get-TargetEditions

Upgrade Windows:
    Dism /online /Set-Edition:ServerEnterprise /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Obviously change the Set-Edition part to your version you want to/can run.

Run these from a elevated command prompt and you won't have to reinstall anythging.

Thank Post
    I would personally just install your usual KMS version, no hastle then??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    Sounds quite complex .... am currently trying to get round it by selecting a fresh install but haven't changed the version in the registry beforehand so will be interesting to see what happens. If you've got anything written down that'd be grand.

Considering the EES Agreements were supposed to make upgrades easier, I'm surprised it's this tricky!
    If you fresh install you won't be able to type in your KMS key still. It would only accept an upgrade key, the KMS ones aren't for typing into stations.

Thank Post
    found it but as said just do a fresh install unless you have a good reason

say you have a computer running started edition and you need pro but you cant get the damn drivers (yes im looking at you fizzbooks) it is possible to alter the edition (without needing a windows anytime upgrade code). Its fairly easy but you do need a few bits Windows 7 waik installed on a pc, wds (or enough knowledge to boot into winpe from a dvd/pen drive and use imagex manually to take an image) and a dvd with the same architecture win7 (and probably same sp level ideally it may work with different sp levels IF the image you create is older than the rest of the disk but dont count on it)

get the pc set up on its current os uninstall any oem crapware av etc you dont want in your image (you can install updates here but there is a fair chance they will get knocked off so i wouldnt bother). Sysprep the pc (with a sysprep file that DOSENT remove drivers which IS the default) and upload this image to wds.

Altering edition

copy your wim file somewhere easy to type (im using d and then open the deployment tools command prompt (if you have uac on use run as administrator or it wont do much). Navigate to d:.
    make a dir on d: called mount
    Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:d:\myfile.wim
    Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:d:\myfile.wim /index:1 /MountDir:d:\mount
    Dism /Image:C:\mount /Get-TargetEditions shows what editions are available to change to (you can only go up not down)
    Dism /Image:d:\mount /Set-Editionrofessional (alter edition as required)
    Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:d:\mount /Commit

Merging images (or it will fail as the needed files arnt present)

(on the pc with waik installed)when the image is in wds export it to somewhere easy to type im going to use d: in this example (and then remove\disable it in wds (or at least rename it ). copy the install.wim file from your dvd to d:. load the deployment tools command prompt (if you have uac on use run as administrator or it wont do much) and go to d:. Check the files dism \get-wiminfo \wimfile:myfile.wim. it should show 1 index with your image. Do the same with install.wim it should show more (depends on what architecture it is as started isnt on the x64 disk) with that done assuming no errors you can go on (just make sure you have a backup of the wim files). now to combine the files. imagex /export d:\myfile.wim 1 d:\install.wim wait it took about 30 mins for me but the pc was a slow one it should be faster on a decent quad core server.

When thats finished open up wds and create a new group (because your image file now contains at least 5 version of windows) and import the wim file (id import all versions or at the very least your image what os its based on and what os its going to). Now on your test pc just deply your image

9. Thanks to sted from:

kaphc (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Hack to In-Place “Downgrade” from Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional to Less Premium Editions « My Digital Life

says implace downgrade but looks like what ive done in the past tbh if you have more than say 2 pcs it just isnt worth it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    found it but as said just do a fresh install unless you have a good reason

say you have a computer running started edition and you need pro but you cant get the damn drivers (yes im looking at you fizzbooks) it is possible to alter the edition (without needing a windows anytime upgrade code). Its fairly easy but you do need a few bits Windows 7 waik installed on a pc, wds (or enough knowledge to boot into winpe from a dvd/pen drive and use imagex manually to take an image) and a dvd with the same architecture win7 (and probably same sp level ideally it may work with different sp levels IF the image you create is older than the rest of the disk but dont count on it)

get the pc set up on its current os uninstall any oem crapware av etc you dont want in your image (you can install updates here but there is a fair chance they will get knocked off so i wouldnt bother). Sysprep the pc (with a sysprep file that DOSENT remove drivers which IS the default) and upload this image to wds.

Altering edition

copy your wim file somewhere easy to type (im using d and then open the deployment tools command prompt (if you have uac on use run as administrator or it wont do much). Navigate to d:.
    make a dir on d: called mount
    Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:d:\myfile.wim
    Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:d:\myfile.wim /index:1 /MountDir:d:\mount
    Dism /Image:C:\mount /Get-TargetEditions shows what editions are available to change to (you can only go up not down)
    Dism /Image:d:\mount /Set-Editionrofessional (alter edition as required)
    Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:d:\mount /Commit

Merging images (or it will fail as the needed files arnt present)

(on the pc with waik installed)when the image is in wds export it to somewhere easy to type im going to use d: in this example (and then remove\disable it in wds (or at least rename it ). copy the install.wim file from your dvd to d:. load the deployment tools command prompt (if you have uac on use run as administrator or it wont do much) and go to d:. Check the files dism \get-wiminfo \wimfile:myfile.wim. it should show 1 index with your image. Do the same with install.wim it should show more (depends on what architecture it is as started isnt on the x64 disk) with that done assuming no errors you can go on (just make sure you have a backup of the wim files). now to combine the files. imagex /export d:\myfile.wim 1 d:\install.wim wait it took about 30 mins for me but the pc was a slow one it should be faster on a decent quad core server.

When thats finished open up wds and create a new group (because your image file now contains at least 5 version of windows) and import the wim file (id import all versions or at the very least your image what os its based on and what os its going to). Now on your test pc just deply your image

Do you still need all the WIM Mounting to upgrade? DISM /online should be ok to do it without reinstalling

Thank Post
    Looking at the current setup, the school is only using MAK keys to verify as there are 43/63 activitations used, I don't think the KMS server has ever been setup. Would this make a difference?

Thank Post
    Hmmm lol

Firstly I would set up KMS, it makes your life a LOT easier!!!! (After it has been set up that is!!)

With KMS you don't need licence keys on your station, you just press next with no licence key installed, or just no key in sysprep/unattend.xml.

The stations activate themselves against your server.

Basically if you have a Windows 7 or server 2008r2 machine activate the KMS service and save a LOT of hastle!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Hmmm lol

Firstly I would set up KMS, it makes your life a LOT easier!!!! (After it has been set up that is!!)

With KMS you don't need licence keys on your station, you just press next with no licence key installed, or just no key in sysprep/unattend.xml.

The stations activate themselves against your server.

Basically if you have a Windows 7 or server 2008r2 machine activate the KMS service and save a LOT of hastle!
    as long as you can hit 25pcs until then they will show after a while dodgy windows messages

Do you still need all the WIM Mounting to upgrade? DISM /online should be ok to do it without reinstalling
    havnt tried it so dont know but i suspect it wont work as the install is missing the extra "bits" that make it pro

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    as long as you can hit 25pcs until then they will show after a while dodgy windows messages

havnt tried it so dont know but i suspect it wont work as the install is missing the extra "bits" that make it pro
    I think they are all in there, dism /online works on the 'online' image whereas /image works on the WIM itself. Certainly works with all the server versions, upgraded all standard to datacenter using that.

Thank Post
    I think they are all in there, dism /online works on the 'online' image whereas /image works on the WIM itself. Certainly works with all the server versions, upgraded all standard to datacenter using that.
    fair enough i was just going on the fact if you do it offline it wont work unless you merge your image with a pro image as said never tried it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast