+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 UAC Promt in Technical; Hello, We are deploying Windows 7 64-bit and one old program comes up with a UAC prompt when opened on ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 UAC Promt

Hello,

We are deploying Windows 7 64-bit and one old program comes up with a UAC prompt when opened on admin and standard domain accounts. The only way around this I can see is to turn UAC off via Group policy but I am concerned this would have a negative impact on security. Is it wise to turn UAC off or does any one know of ways around it for certain programs?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I'm forced to turn UAC off as SIMS.net doesn't work with it. I've done this across many domains with zero problems.

I think UAC is a little over rated and seeing as it's in a controlled environment everything should be OK.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

lafleur1977 (16th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm forced to turn UAC off as SIMS.net doesn't work with it. I've done this across many domains with zero problems.

I think UAC is a little over rated and seeing as it's in a controlled environment everything should be OK.
    I can't say I have any problems with sims.net and uac. The only issues we are aware of is that Nova T4 does not work on W7 64-bit.

Thanks for your reply.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    UAC is disabled in my environment as well. We're running about 400 or so Windows 7 workstations. I kept it disabled in the Pro image, but when we started migrating to Enterprise I tried keeping it on and it just proved to get in the way. Even with it being disabled, I see far less malware problems on 7 than I do with the XP machines that are still hanging out there.

6. Thanks to Duke5A from:

lafleur1977 (16th July 2012)

Thank Post
    hi, Have you disabled that via a GPO and if so where abouts. Just rebuilt my network to Windows 7 and although I can install without any problems and select the connect.ini file the SIMS.net login box will not appear and I suspect it could be a UAC issue. Any help appreciated!! Cheers

8. Thanks to jimmckenna from:

lafleur1977 (13th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmckenna View Post
    hi, Have you disabled that via a GPO and if so where abouts. Just rebuilt my network to Windows 7 and although I can install without any problems and select the connect.ini file the SIMS.net login box will not appear and I suspect it could be a UAC issue. Any help appreciated!! Cheers
    The UAC settings in group policy can be found here:

disable-uac-win7-gpo-41.png

In the end I have left UAC on as I managed to get a third party fix for the program in question. Sims should work with UAC without any issues as I have it working on all of our W7 PC's. Have you looked in event viewer for anything related at the time of launch? Also, sims required users to have full control of c:\program files\sims.net so if its working as admin but not as a standard user that could be it.

Thanks

Thank Post
    UAC still on here. It kicks in for programs that don't adhere to MS rules that have been around for years (don't dump files on root C or windows) or require admin access.

There's a few programs that need it for updating, but we should report the program issues as bugs rather than turn off protection.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that tip on disabling, this is such a pain - so many bugs caused by this.

Thank Post
    I have UAC enabled on my Windows 7 machines doesn't cause an issue until an update comes out and when SIMS load runs it requires a username and password. Did anyone else get this and find a work around? I really don't want to remove UAC.

Thanks,

Ross

Thank Post
    Hi.

Here we have policies where if a user is a local admin of their computer, UAC is on. If a user is not an admin of their computer, UAC is off due to SIMS.NET updates.

If your users are local admins of their computers, I don't think that switching off UAC would be a good idea, as obviously they will be running under the administrator context all of the time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread