+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Offline laptops - windows 7 in Technical; Hello All, We are configuring our GPOs and policies and offline access for our laptop users. We run into a ...

Thank Post

Offline laptops - windows 7

Hello All,

We are configuring our GPOs and policies and offline access for our laptop users. We run into a problem where for laptops we have the offline file access set and also cached logon (count 50). Everything is working fine on when logging on to the domain but when they logon offline (as a cached logon) there is an event generated in the application log regarding the user profile service.

The message reads: "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attemptingto log you onwith yoru local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. The error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - The network path was not found

This is strange because the user is already logged on the laptop when connected to the domain. So this issue is happening on offline. We do use folder redirection for My docs and other folders etc. I have the GPO set for do not detect slow network connections and group policy slow detection set to 0.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what could be wrong.

Win 7 Enterprise 32bit
    Server (DCs) Server 2008 R2.

Thanks in advance,

Ash.

Thank Post
    Is the profile's server location being cached with offline files?

Thank Post
    Hi,

No i've turned off that setting. i.e. on the share where the profiles leave i've selected "No files will be available offline..." setting. Is this what you mean?

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spc-rocket View Post
    The message reads: "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attemptingto log you onwith yoru local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. The error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.
    Sounds like a reasonable take on what happens: It's offline so it's telling you it can't get to their roaming profile [correct].. and it's going to logon using your profile that's sitting in c:\users [that's what we want].. and because it's offline it can't write profile changes back to the server when you logoff [correct].

That said, I use local-only profiles in this scenario.

Thank Post
    Hiya,

Yes this is what i was thinking as well. On RM Cc3 network we don't see this and they use roaming profiles as well. It does actually save the user data etc and the sync is working correctly including any changes made to desktop etc. so i'm not sure if this is what should be happening. Its happening on all laptops. Desktops are fine because i have cached logons set to 0 (this prevents cached logins) all together i believe.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Just as a side question, do you get a balloon popup on login about this in the lower right hand corner?

Thank Post
    HI,

Yes the baloon does popup on the right hand corner. I have disabled the baloon notification in GPO but when i look at the event viewer the same error is logged.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,479 Posts
    That is right - we get that on all our staff laptops and they log in fine off the network and then sync to the server as soon as the laptop is logged on to the domain.
    I could do with getting rid of that balloon notification where is it in GPO please?

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Thanks for confirming this. I think its a reasonable error given the network is not available offline.

You can disable the balloon notification in User Configuration\Policies\Administrative templates\Start Menu and Taskbar. "Turn off all balloon notifications" - enabled.

Ash.

10. Thanks to spc-rocket from:

witch (13th July 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread