+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Sleep & folder redirection in Technical; Have noticed in my testing that when Windows 7 goes into Sleep mode it takes about 10 seconds when waking ...
    Thank Post

Sleep & folder redirection

Have noticed in my testing that when Windows 7 goes into Sleep mode it takes about 10 seconds when waking up for the NIC to come back online, during which time Windows inevitably loses connection redirected folders. Am I right in thinking I have two options here...

• turn off sleep completely via GPO
    • turn on Offline Files for redirected folders

The Desktop and Start Menu are the two I'm most concerned about as it seems once the connection is dropped the quick search feature doesn't work after reconnection e.g. try searching for something like mstsc (bad example I know!) and you get an error

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those are the only ones I've found, even with nic powersave off it still takes a while for the network location service figures out where it is, and it grabs its ip again. I just switched sleep to kick in 5-8 hours after idle. If anyone finds any better solutions I'd be very interested.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 6th July 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    You can configure Power Options with GPP. This does the trick

Thank Post
    Just untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the NIC power mgmt properties

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    even with nic powersave off it still takes a while for the network location service figures out where it is, and it grabs its ip again.
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdmast View Post
    Just untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the NIC power mgmt properties
    Does not fix the fault, at least not in any of the cmputers I have tried it in.

Thank Post
    Aside from turning of the screen and the HD after 20 minutes, we disabled all power options through GPO, including sleep, hibernate, stand-by, etc...
    Whatever you do, stay away from offline files, it won't fix your problem & will cause you other headaches without end.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdmast View Post
    Aside from turning of the screen and the HD after 20 minutes, we disabled all power options through GPO, including sleep, hibernate, stand-by, etc...
    Whatever you do, stay away from offline files, it won't fix your problem & will cause you other headaches without end.
    We have used offline files sucessfully on the laptops but I agree that disabling the sleep feature or at least winding it out to 5-8 hours is a better plan, we still leave the power saveing features enabled incase someone leaves them on. I have thought of attempting to stamp the power settings at the user level disabling sleep when a user is logged on and re-enabling it when there is no-one logged in.

Thank Post
    Looks like option a) is the winner, had a feeling it might be but it's one of those you always wonder if there's a better way... evidently not

I've never liked Offline Files so wanted to avoid it as much as possible so prefer the no sleep option. Quite amusing though that Microsoft were using the Power Management improvements in 7 as one of their key selling points but as soon as you turn them on other stuff breaks... typical eh.

Have set screen off after about 10 minutes and the rest to 0 aka never. Need to find a new auto shutdown utility now Shutdownertron seems to be a dead product, I think a University somewhere was working on one but it hasn't been released yet...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread