+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, No you are not a tablet! in Technical; Odd problem, I instlled a Win7 PC from scratch exactly as I have done in the past. For some reason ...

Thank Post

No you are not a tablet!

Odd problem, I instlled a Win7 PC from scratch exactly as I have done in the past. For some reason it seems to believe it's a tablet PC or a touch monitor even though neither of those things are the case.

The most obvious problem is that when you attempt to log in it says "Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Windows Security button" at the log in screen. How do I convince it otherwise and return to the "normal" login screen with just the "Press CTRL+Alt+Delete" text?

Google tells me to look at the "tablet PC settings" in the control panel and hit the "buttons" tab follow a few more steps and I should be able to turn it off. However I don't seem to have a "buttons" tab.

Thank Post
    The Tablet stuff is a Feature.

If you goto programs and features, and remove the Tablet PC Components feature, i think that sorts it..

Thank Post
    Do you/have you by chance had it hooked up to a IWB or ever had any IWB software installed on it (expecily the SMARTBoard stuff).

4. Thanks to jamesfed from:

Stuart_C (5th July 2012)

Thank Post
    yeah smartboard drivers do this

6. Thanks to sted from:

Stuart_C (5th July 2012)

Thank Post
    "Ding" Give the (wo)man a gold star.
    Yes there are smartboard drivers on it. (For reference it's a site I've just taken over and not used the smart boards before).
    So next question will removing the smart software revert it back to normal? I don't want the drivers on my master image anyway. Probably an error deligating that taks...
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 5th July 2012 at 03:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Damn, could have gotten me a gold star if I'd been quicker - I saw the title and opened this thread to post "has it got Smart on it?" :-) Removing the software won't remove the tablet settings though - you'll either need to re-image it or remove the feature as per the instructions above.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have also noticed it as well. Its also poped up on another machine with no IWB stuff.

Thank Post
    Sort of sorted. The login screen is back to normal however despite removing the tablet components I still to have little tick boxes next to every item every time I highlight thing in Explorer. How can I get rid of them

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Sort of sorted. The login screen is back to normal however despite removing the tablet components I still to have little tick boxes next to every item every time I highlight thing in Explorer. How can I get rid of them
    Control Pannel > Folder Options > View (tab) > Uncheck - Use checkboxes to select items

12. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Stuart_C (6th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    There's a setting somewhere in the SMARTBoard drivers to tell it not to use the tablet PC emulation. That will send the PC back to 'normal'.

The real question is: why does it matter? Having the tablet interface can actually be useful on a SMARTBoard at times (e.g. gestures in IE, press and hold for right click) and I think the onscreen keyboard and handwriting recognition that comes with Window 7 is better than the SMART one.

We never had the tickboxes in Explorer issue, so I don't know why that's turned itself on without asking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    The real question is: why does it matter? Having the tablet interface can actually be useful on a SMARTBoard at times (e.g. gestures in IE, press and hold for right click) and I think the onscreen keyboard and handwriting recognition that comes with Window 7 is better than the SMART one.
    Good point, hadn't thought about that...

We never had the tickboxes in Explorer issue, so I don't know why that's turned itself on without asking.
    I've noticed this on a couple of users, but figured they'd set it themselves through choice. Now I think about it, they are all Smartboard users...

Thank Post
    There's a setting somewhere in the SMARTBoard drivers to tell it not to use the tablet PC emulation. That will send the PC back to 'normal'.

In this instance it matters because this is going to be a PC I image up to go on all the PC's on site and they don't all have IWB's. One of my techies got carried away and installed the drivers. When I deploy the drivers to those PC's with IWB's then it will probably be a good idea. But for the suites then it's going to be a bit confusing if it's not standard Win7.

Thank Post
    Thank you very much one and all...

Now I've got my PC back to where I want it onwards with the imaging!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread