+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, HP Compaq DC 7800 Suffers Repeated Hard Disk Corruption Problems in Technical; I have suffered serious corruption of the primary hard drive on my HP Compaq DC 7800 SFF Desktop Machine twice ...

Thank Post

HP Compaq DC 7800 Suffers Repeated Hard Disk Corruption Problems

I have suffered serious corruption of the primary hard drive on my HP Compaq DC 7800 SFF Desktop Machine twice within the past week!

I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (From Xp) about a year ago, and until I encountered this problem it has worked perfectly.

The DC 7800 always works normally until I shut down. However, on two occasions recently the DC 7800 didn't shut-down as it should have done, but instead re-booted itself. It then halted at " Attempting to Boot from HDD " and would go no further.

On the first occasion the Western Digital HDD was recognised in BIOS, but was otherwise dead. I tried to restore from tape, but was unable to access the drive, so I fitted a new Seagate drive in its place.

(I did manage to resurrect the WD drive later by installing it in another machine where I was able to create new partitions and format it, etc.)

I restored everything from tape using Retrospect, and it all worked perfectly for just over a week until the same thing happened again! On this occasion I was able to start Windows Repair, but after several hours Windows gave up and said that repair was impossible, so I restored from tape again.

I cannot believe that two hard drives would suffer the same failure within two weeks?

I suspect that data in the large HDD cache is not getting written to the drive before the computer shuts down, as the problem seems to be in the Registry / MBR / FAT or whatever. These drives have unusually large cache sizes (64 MB) which might take longer to write than the system allows before shutting down. (I am only guessing here). As far as I know it isn't possible to disable write caching.

Has anyone else suffered similar problems?

I did see on a forum somewhere that the Compaq DC 7800 was supposedly not compatible with Windows 7 Ultimate, (only Windows 7 Professional), but I find this difficult to believe as it is usually device drivers which cause compatibility problems, and presumably these are the same whatever version of Windows 7 x64 is installed?

Anyhow, if you have read this far, my machine details are as follows:
    DC 7800 SFF
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    8 GB Ram
    2 x 1 TB Western Digital Green HDD with 64 MB Cache
    (One now replaced with 1 TB Seagate HDD with 64 MB Cache)
    Nvidia Quadro FX380 Graphics Adaptor
    LSI Logic Ultra 160 PCI-SCSI Adaptor 53C1010C-66 (for HP external tape drive)
    HP Storageworks 460 LTO2 External Tape Drive
    Thanking you all in advance for any help!

NN

Thank Post
    I wouldn't use a green hard drive for Windows. Have you done a memory check with memtest ?

To disable write caching, go to device manager, right click on your drive and select properties, then click the policies tab.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    I wouldn't use a green hard drive for Windows. Have you done a memory check with memtest ?

To disable write caching, go to device manager, right click on your drive and select properties, then click the policies tab.
    Thank you for that, and for reminding me where the Write Caching control was.

Memtest and Windows memory test were both clear. I have now disabled write caching on the System drive, and have also found a recent BIOS update which I have installed.

I have also taken the added precaution of creating a drive image on my second disk, so any future restores should be quicker and easier.

I will just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope it doesn't happen again, but it is soemthing of a mystery after two years of trouble free computing!

NN

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread