+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, RM and GPOs in Technical; Having a right nightmare, so anyone that can help, that would be great. We have an RM CC3 network and ...

Thank Post

Angry RM and GPOs

Having a right nightmare, so anyone that can help, that would be great.

We have an RM CC3 network and im currently going Vanilla. Got our 7 machines working with GP great, just used a WMI filter. Cant do the same for some of the older machines, because they need to run XP.

So currently they are inheriting all of the CC3 policies, because I cant move the users until all of the computers are off CC3. I tried using user loop backs on individual OUs where inheritance is blocked and replace mode and merge to try and override the CC3 settings.

Each time, non of the settings are carried over (trying to set drive maps and redirected folders), if I do merge, it looks as it should, if I use replace it gets the desktop icons of the local all users folder (rather than redirecting it) but then doesnt map any drives or printers.

I ran gpresult for the test teacher account on an xp non cc3 machine and get this error:

Code:
    User Configuration
    Policies
    Windows Settings
    Scripts
    An error has occurred while collecting data for Scripts.

The following errors were encountered:
    An unknown error occurred while data was gathered for this extension. Details: Not found
    Administrative Templates
    An error has occurred while collecting data for Administrative Templates.

The following errors were encountered:
    The .adm file "\\*********\SysVol\*********\Policies\{3875E870-AEB4-44C0-94D9-7A35D4828650}\Adm\RM Windows 200x User Policies.adm" is in not in a valid format and must be replaced. Details: A value name is expected before line 1641.
    Is this stopping the loopback working? Is there another way to stop the policy working and only to follow my new one when using vanilla machines?

Thanks

Thank Post
    i'm afraid i can't help you, but when you have this working i would very much like to discuss how you went about this as we will need to do exactly this next summer and we are currently very concerned about how it's going to go!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    i'm afraid i can't help you, but when you have this working i would very much like to discuss how you went about this as we will need to do exactly this next summer and we are currently very concerned about how it's going to go!
    Are you moving to 7 with mixed xp environment?

Thank Post
    yup... because we can't afford to upgrade all our clients to win7 capable spec!

Thank Post
    yup... because we can't afford to upgrade all our clients to win7 capable spec!
    Yeh, we had the same issue. For 7 clients, just put them in an OU on their own, and just apply a windows 7 WMI filter to all the user policies and block inheritence on the OU.

For XP clients, the GPOs that apply arent too bad, just that they dont map printers or drives, and using a loopback doesnt work :-\

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My advice would be to get a seperate domain running on a seperate server and run the two networks in parrallel, and create your new active directory and group policy on the new domain, and assign your Vanilla desktops to that domain. Once you're happy with your new setup, unplug the CC3 servers and start to shift things over. Did this very thing 2 1/2 years ago and haven't looked back!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    My advice would be to get a seperate domain running on a seperate server and run the two networks in parrallel, and create your new active directory and group policy on the new domain, and assign your Vanilla desktops to that domain. Once you're happy with your new setup, unplug the CC3 servers and start to shift things over. Did this very thing 2 1/2 years ago and haven't looked back!
    Cant do it that way unfortunately. The head of ICT (curriculum) is my line manager. He wanted me to do a progressive move rather than all at once so we can iron out faults. Already built the new servers too on to the existing domain.

The problem we are going to have is with programs like successmaker, which is why we needed the CC3 network in place for as long as possible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TMODAlpha View Post
    Cant do it that way unfortunately. The head of ICT (curriculum) is my line manager. He wanted me to do a progressive move rather than all at once so we can iron out faults. Already built the new servers too on to the existing domain.

The problem we are going to have is with programs like successmaker, which is why we needed the CC3 network in place for as long as possible.
    You are in fact me, somewhere else aren't you! This is my situation to an absolute tee!

Thank Post
    You are in fact me, somewhere else aren't you! This is my situation to an absolute tee!
    Lol. Think ive figured it out now. Will report back.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread