+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Logon Background (Picture Frame) in Technical; Getting ready to deploy Windows 7, I had changed the authui.dll to remove the blank picture frame from the windows ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 Logon Background (Picture Frame)

Getting ready to deploy Windows 7, I had changed the authui.dll to remove the blank picture frame from the windows logon screen. Only to realise that when ever Microsoft release an update the authui.dll gets replaced with a new one. So id have to modify the file again to remove the picture frame.

Thinking of another route now, and ive seen that people have instead been modifying the logon picture to align up a logo to go underneath the frame.

My questions are, does anyone have a modified login image that I can re-modify with our school logo?
    Do you need different login screen images to accomodate the different resolution of the machines around the school?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not got one you can use - not got that far ourselves, but yes, you have to have one for every resolution your machines use.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

jamin100 (20th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Logo itself should be the same regardless of resolution surely? (this appears to be the case here at least!)
    GPO applies same logon picture to everyone, we've modified user.bmp and guest.bmp with our logo on the default image, which I believe are in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\
    No blank frames here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Logo itself should be the same regardless of resolution surely? (this appears to be the case here at least!)
    GPO applies same logon picture to everyone, we've modified user.bmp and guest.bmp with our logo on the default image, which I believe are in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\
    No blank frames here.
    Thats only once your logged on, not on the login screen.

Thank Post
    No blank frames here.
    So, when you turn the PC's on in the morning your logo is there, before people have logged in?

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Thats only once your logged on, not on the login screen.
    This is how I understood it too. Once a user has logged in and then out the picture will be in the frame. But if its from a cold boot then it will be blank

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes that's right - hence replacing both guest and user.bmp, with it forced via GPO. Haven't done anything special to achieve that..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    You basicly have to disable showing the previous logged in user (so it leaves it blank). And then cheat with adding backgrounds to system32\oobe\info\backgrounds (check that path). Enable custom login screen option and bobs your uncle.

It all depends on screen res's etc for what it will look like and where the image sits.
    Last edited by glennda; 20th June 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Hmmm, I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Very roughly, in our all workstation default setting policy
    Computer Configuration>Admin Templates> Control Panel/User Accts>Apply the default user logon picture - enabled
    System>Logon> Assign a default domain

That's all I can see that's relevant. The guest and user.bmp files changed as mentioned.

Thank Post
    Computer Configuration>Admin Templates> Control Panel/User Accts>Apply the default user logon picture - enabled

That's all I can see that's relevant. The guest and user.bmp files changed as mentioned.
    hmmm, well that doesnt work here. All i get is an empty frame at logon. The picture frame on the start menu shows the picture but the logon window doesnt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

I thought they wanted to change the background. If so, then that's not the setting needed. To change the logon background:

In Regedit, go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

In background, create a new 32Bit DWORD called 'useOEMBackground' and set its value to 1.

Now, create a the following folder structure (you'll need to make the inf and backgrounds folders) at C:\Windows\System32\oobe\inf\backgrounds

You then put your images in there, named 'background1024x768' and 'background1280x1024' etc...

The files can only be 250kb maximum.

Oh, and this is all done before sysprepping an image.
    Last edited by localzuk; 21st June 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Thank Post
    I dont really want to have to change the background if I can help it. I just want to fill the stupid frame.

Thank Post
    If you dont configure "Do Not Display Last Username" then it will fill the frame with a logo from a cold boot. However, you also then get the last username displayed aswel and have to switch user for anyone else to logon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I thought they wanted to change the background. If so, then that's not the setting needed. To change the logon background:

In background, create a new 32Bit DWORD called 'useOEMBackground' and set its value to 1.

Now, create a the following folder structure (you'll need to make the inf and backgrounds folders) at C:\Windows\System32\oobe\inf\backgrounds

You then put your images in there, named 'background1024x768' and 'background1280x1024' etc...

Or use GPP to deploy the registry change and files, works perfectly here and doing it via GPP lets me change the logon background to display new course information or announcements as the PC boots up... great place to do it with a captive audience staring at the screen as the PC boots up \ logins in

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post

Just going through and doing this now - so came on here to see if anyone could give me a clue where the logo needs to sit on the background, or at least what dimensions it needs to be - and you don't need to set this by registry key. The group policy is Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Always use custom logon background.

You still need to copy the files using GPP and make sure you have one for every resolution, as it doesn't necessarily work unless every file is present - list here.

EDIT: how I wish there was a (sensible) way of moving the Ctrl-Alt-Del message... putting the school logo onto the background so that it fits the frame also means the school logo sits right behind the Ctrl-Alt-Del message and makes the latter unreadable. However you try and shoehorn it in, it ends up looking rubbish at one stage or another. Boo.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 26th June 2012 at 05:12 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread