+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Prevent entire network browsing on Windows 7 - How? in Technical; We have rolled-out Windows 7 to our school desktop PCs and all seems to be going well... The only problem ...
    Thank Post

Question Prevent entire network browsing on Windows 7 - How?

We have rolled-out Windows 7 to our school desktop PCs and all seems to be going well...

The only problem which I can't seem to find a fix for, at the moment, is to prevent users from browsing the entire network when saving documents from other programs (such as Word, Notepad etc...)

For example, when a user creates a Word document and then clicks Save As they can see/browse to the entire network. That is the only place where they can browse the entire network, all other routes appear to be correctly blocked.

I wish MS would be consistent with their application of Group Policies.....grrrrr.

Does anyone have a fix for this please?

Thanks_

Andrew

Thank Post
    Turn off Network Discovery in the Network & Sharing Center (under Advanced Sharing Setting).

That might stop the machine from displaying anything when they click on the "Network" option in the toolbar when choosing a location to save to?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Turn off Network Discovery in the Network & Sharing Center (under Advanced Sharing Setting).

That might stop the machine from displaying anything when they click on the "Network" option in the toolbar when choosing a location to save to?
    Thanks -

Is there a Group Policy which controls that?

Andrew

Thank Post
    Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Network > Link-Layer Topology Discovery

Use "Turn on Mapper I/O (LLTDIO) Driver" to disable for all profiles to prevent the machine from picking up other computers.
    Use "Turn on Responder (RSPNDR) Driver" to disable for all profiles to prevent the machine from being picked up by other computers.

I know why you want to do this, but just for the record, it shouldn't be strictly necessary. There are plenty of other ways for a non-privileged user account to acquire a list of computers. This is not a substitute for properly securing your network enabled devices. If there is something users can access using network browsing they shouldn't be able to access then the problem is not with network browsing.

5. Thanks to ChrisMiles from:

zag (14th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiles View Post
    Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Network > Link-Layer Topology Discovery

Use "Turn on Mapper I/O (LLTDIO) Driver" to disable for all profiles to prevent the machine from picking up other computers.
    Use "Turn on Responder (RSPNDR) Driver" to disable for all profiles to prevent the machine from being picked up by other computers.

I know why you want to do this, but just for the record, it shouldn't be strictly necessary. There are plenty of other ways for a non-privileged user account to acquire a list of computers. This is not a substitute for properly securing your network enabled devices. If there is something users can access using network browsing they shouldn't be able to access then the problem is not with network browsing.
    Thanks for the info., but that doesn't appear to work either.

Users can still browse to the network when choosing Save as in Word (and other software applications).

Which settings are you using in Group Policy?

Our network is secure in that users can only access what they are supposed to, but I still don't want them to be able to browse the network via this route as, in my opinion, they have no need to do so and it just invites potential trouble.

Cheers - Andrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread