+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Folder Redirection Problem in Technical; Hi - hopefully someone can advise me on a folder redirection issue that we are having. I am busy testing ...

Thank Post

Folder Redirection Problem

Hi - hopefully someone can advise me on a folder redirection issue that we are having.

I am busy testing out windows 7 and server 2008 R2 in a test environment and hoping to implement this upgrade during the summer. I have chosen to go with mandatory profiles and folder redirection via GPO. All is fine apart from a weird problem we are having with folder redirection. The redirection fails intermittently.

If I log on with a test user account everything works fine and "Documents Library Locations" window displays the Default save location to the home folder path on the server. I log off and then back on with the same test user account and the folder redirection fails and the "Documents Library Locations" window displays the default save location to C:\Users\12teststudent\Documents.

I have the test home folder stored in the following location on the server:

D:\Users\Students\2012Intake

In the user account properties I have the home folder path set to:

\\Server-01\12teststudent

In the GPO I have set the folder redirection on the Documents folder as:

Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same directory
    Redirect to the users home directory

I have attached a screenshot of the Documents Library Locations window when the redirection fails.

I would appreciate any advise on this.

Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Hi - am I right in thinking the problem is you'd like Libraries to redirect to the home area?

This is a well-documented PITA and has people tearing their hair out BUT here on Edugeek we've nailed the procedure, and I've written a mega-basic guide to doing so (with the help of themightymrp and MANY other giants with shoulders I stood on...)

Wanna try it out??

(Attached if so )
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Miscbrah; 13th June 2012 at 11:09 AM.

3. 2 Thanks to Miscbrah:

stevenlong1985 (13th June 2012), themightymrp (13th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks a lot I will give this a try and let you know how I get on

Thank Post
    Hi - I gave this a try, but the "Documents Libraries Locations" window has the default save path for documents as C:\Users\TEMP\Documents as default and C:\Users\PUBLIC\documents as a second location. I am using mandatory profiles not roaming would this make a difference?

cheers

Ed

Thank Post
    In my guide (such as it is!) the outcome is that each Library location just maps to whatever drive you set it as. For example, if your user/users with the mandatory profile have a home drive mapped as H: when they log on, but each user has their own H: drive, then it'll just go there when opened in a file explorer/save/open context.

Rather than in my last stage where I use Group Policy to copy the library.ms files to the profile that's logging on at the time, you could just add those into your mandatory profile using the xcopy command. I should think that'd work...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Hi - am I right in thinking the problem is you'd like Libraries to redirect to the home area?

This is a well-documented PITA and has people tearing their hair out BUT here on Edugeek we've nailed the procedure, and I've written a mega-basic guide to doing so (with the help of themightymrp and MANY other giants with shoulders I stood on...)

Wanna try it out??

(Attached if so )
    Will give this a go when the time comes - which is very sooon!!!

Thank Post
    I have copied the changed libraries into the mandatory profile and still not luck Im afraid. The default save path for documents is C:\Users\TEMP\Documents as default and C:\Users\Public\documents as the second location. Is there a certain way that you need to set up mapping to the home folder? In the user properties in Active Directory Users and Computers I have the network drive set to N: and the path as \\Server-01\%username%. I have the path to the mandatory profile and a students logon script pointing to a resources folder. I have tried various combinations of storage location structures for the home folders including:

Users
    >Students
    >>2009Intake
    >>>09bloggsj
    >>2010Intake
    >>>09bloggsj
    >Staff

StudentData
    >2009Intake
    >>09bloggsj

StudentData
    >09bloggsj

I just cant seem to get this to work and I am trying to nail this so that I can get everywhere upgraded during the summer. Is there something else you think that I should be trying here? Would it be worth trying romaing profiles instead of mandatory?

many thanks again

Ed

Thank Post
    Hi! No not sure you need move to roaming profiles especially. In reference the guide you should just be deleting the original locations for the pesty libraries in the utility, then setting the location as N:, then building the 4x library-ms files, then (using the command line only) copy them to the mandatory profile's library location - where you should probably beforehand delete the library-ms files already there, by using a command to delete *.library-ms...

Hmmm... Noticed a few unclear bits in that guide. Quick re-write. Would love to get this going for mandatory profiles too, so we'll see how we nail this.

EDIT - UPDATED VERSION HERE! Please DO point out any mistakes/crap bits/bits that didn't work right as I want it to be BLACK AND WHITE simple. Ta folks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Miscbrah; 14th June 2012 at 01:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Cheers again

I have gone back and tried normal folder redirection. I created a normal ad user account, set the home drive letter to N: and the location to \\Server\data. I have folder on the server named data to hold the home folders (no structure, year groups etc). I have set up the folder redirection settings to "Basic - Redirect everyones folder to the same location", "Create a folder for each user under the root path", "Root path - \\Server-01\data"

It works with these straight forward settings, but I obviously require the mandatory profile and a more structured folder structure for data storage.

I will have another try with your updated guide, which is great by the way and I will also see how I get on with where I am so far.

Again - thanks ver much for your help I really appreciate it.

Ed

Thank Post
    Do you want/need libraries? Here we've stripped it out all together and most of our redirections are actually in the profile itself i.e. all folders redirected in ntuser except appdata (best to do this in gpo if you need it). The reg hacks are done in:

\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explore r\User Shell Folders

Thank Post
    We are having this same issue, but a more sinister problem seems to have developed....

Folder re-direction was working ok for us until recently and now the Documents Library includes 2 locations for some unknown reason....

When a user clicks the 2 locations link they get a pop-up window which allows them to Add a new library location (see attached pictures).

That allows them to add the C:\ drive and hence they can browse to the C drive, despite it being restricted to them everywhere else!!!! Very bad....Does anyone know how to prevent this or at very least remove the Add button?

Cheers_ Andrew

Image1.pngImage2.pngImage3.pngImage4.png
    Last edited by adhutton; 14th June 2012 at 04:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Try this policy?

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Explorer/Prevent users from adding files to the root of their Users Files folder

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Try this policy?

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Explorer/Prevent users from adding files to the root of their Users Files folder
    We've already tried that and it doesn't make any difference to this particular problem, but thanks anyway

I am still searching for a solution!

Cheers - Andrew

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edsa131 View Post
    Cheers again

I have gone back and tried normal folder redirection. I created a normal ad user account, set the home drive letter to N: and the location to \\Server\data. I have folder on the server named data to hold the home folders (no structure, year groups etc). I have set up the folder redirection settings to "Basic - Redirect everyones folder to the same location", "Create a folder for each user under the root path", "Root path - \\Server-01\data"

It works with these straight forward settings, but I obviously require the mandatory profile and a more structured folder structure for data storage.

I will have another try with your updated guide, which is great by the way and I will also see how I get on with where I am so far.

Again - thanks ver much for your help I really appreciate it.

Ed
    No worries. Could try the variable "%homeshare%" rather than "N:" (omit the "" naturally) see how that works?

Meh I had this sinking feeling that if I disabled Libraries completely it might bite me in the butt one day when %program% uses Libraries and breaks if they're not at least there. Otherwise I'd have shooed them right off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Hi! No not sure you need move to roaming profiles especially. In reference the guide you should just be deleting the original locations for the pesty libraries in the utility, then setting the location as N:, then building the 4x library-ms files, then (using the command line only) copy them to the mandatory profile's library location - where you should probably beforehand delete the library-ms files already there, by using a command to delete *.library-ms...

Hmmm... Noticed a few unclear bits in that guide. Quick re-write. Would love to get this going for mandatory profiles too, so we'll see how we nail this.

EDIT - UPDATED VERSION HERE! Please DO point out any mistakes/crap bits/bits that didn't work right as I want it to be BLACK AND WHITE simple. Ta folks
    This is how I did my libraries as well, although I edited with Notepad++

I think its probably the best way of configuring libraries at the moment, I tried the VBS scripts to remove some of the libraries folders at first logon but the script was quite slow compared to doing the copy method!

One thing I am looking at is profile speed, and was going to look into mandatory profiles. However I have just noticed that now in W7 active setup runs for each mandatory profile, since that seems to be causing most of my logon delays it no longer seems like such a good idea :s

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast