+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Folder Redirection Problem in Technical; We use mandatory profiles here and most of our Folder redirection are in ntuser because GPO folder redirection causes a ...
    Thank Post
    We use mandatory profiles here and most of our Folder redirection are in ntuser because GPO folder redirection causes a delay for each redirection. Libraries ripped out here and we haven't found a problem.

Thank Post
    Apeo - I am going to try this by disabling or taking out the libraries as you have done. Can you possibly explain in more detail how to go about this? Shall I delete the main libraries folder from the mandatory profile and also do the registry hack.

cheers

Ed

Thank Post
    I stumbled on this post by accident. I changed next to no GPOs when I started rolling out W7 clients. Folder redirection simply worked for us. Libraries worked and some extra folders came up with the cannot open due to restrictions blah blah which was perfect. Student could save happily in their "my documents" (libraries/documents) etc. We use mandatory profiles though and I think this is possibly the key.

Thank Post
    Well what you can do is strip your mandatory profile right down i.e. delete all the folders in there; here we only have AppData (to set some default settings) and ntuser files. In the AppData we don’t have a Libraries folder at all and we've removed all links in explorer i.e. it’s not in the nav pane or on the desktop. To remove it out the nav pane you will need a reg hack by deleting the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}

This will strip it out completely so yes it will affect all users.

Note: If you want to restore Libraries then you will need to rebuild the above key and what’s contained therein.

Note: If you do this, users won’t have a link to their My Documents folder (AKA Documents in Win 7) so you need to add shortcuts in and if users are used to navigating to their My Documents via the nav pane then they will need to be informed how they can now access their Documents/Home Directory.

Note: If you redirect your AppData then it is possible that they may still have a Libraries folder so you might want to delete it (probably by script) or you can disable it: Windows 7 - Removing Libraries

EDIT: Make sure you've reg hack your ntuser profile to redirect all the folders you want to redirect e.g. My Documents (reg key in ntuser in User Shell Folder is Personal, i think), My Pictures, My Music etc.
    Last edited by apeo; 19th June 2012 at 09:34 AM.

5. Thanks to apeo from:

edsa131 (21st June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12