+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 new install in Technical; Hi fellow geekers (been a while) I am really starting to get frustrated with this and cannot figure out why. ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 new install

Hi fellow geekers (been a while)

I am really starting to get frustrated with this and cannot figure out why. I have this pc which doesn't recognise the DVD drives within windows but recognises them being in the bios and when trying to boot it wont boot to them either. (thats one issue)

So to get around this i had another computer which i plugged the HDD in and installed win 7 32-bit and this ran fine and works fine on the test machine, yet when i plug it into the other machine and try to boot to it, it fails to boot and does a boot loop? This is really confusing me... any ideas anyone?

The computer is a dell dimension 5000 it's not designed to have win 7 on it, but it has ran with windows 7 on it and has been fine, now i've come to do a new install it doesn't work?

Any help would be great.

Ben

Thank Post
    At a guess the donor pc has a different sata controller so at a guess bsds with inaccessible boot device

Try installing win7 from a pen drive or sysprepping your install before you put the hdd back in the pc so it strips out the drivers and does a reditect

Thank Post
    The donor pc is a windows xp - hp pavilion a1000. I plugged the hdd from the other machine into this computer and installed win 7 on it no worries. It boots and loads fine, yet as i said when i go to install it back into the other machine it just fails. No errors no bsod, just loops.

Unfort I don't have my mem stick with me which is big enough to carry win 7 installation on it. I shall try the sysprepping idea (not used it so relatively new to it) and see if that helps! Thanks.

Ben

Thank Post
    I am really starting to get frustrated with this and cannot figure out why. I have this pc which doesn't recognise the DVD drives within windows but recognises them being in the bios and when trying to boot it wont boot to them either. (thats one issue)

Check the master \ slave jumper on the back of the DVD drive,
    or try another IDE cable \ sata cable whichever you are using

So to get around this i had another computer which i plugged the HDD in and installed win 7 32-bit and this ran fine and works fine on the test machine, yet when i plug it into the other machine and try to boot to it, it fails to boot and does a boot loop? This is really confusing me... any ideas anyone?

If you are moving a previously installed HDD from one PC to another and it doesn't boot probably means it's got different chipset \ drivers. You would need to install windows again on the PC that isn't booting, if you can get the DVD drive working.

Any help would be great.

Ben[/QUOTE]

Thank Post
    When the reboot occurs press F8 on startup and disable the automatic restart option, then you will probably see the BSOD that Microsoft is trying to hide.

Thank Post
    Yeah i checked the jumpers on the back of the dvd drives and they're all set to choose or can be either or. The Bios recognises it just nothing through windows. The dell on the same hdd had win 7 ultimate installed on it before hand, but it wasn't working prop (was installed by someone previous to me) so i thought i'd re-install it. Since then i've not been able to get it to boot and as far as I know the CD/DVD drives aren't being recognised by windows and haven't been for a while.

Is there not a way for me to install windows on the hdd from the dell machine on the loan machine?

Regards

Thank Post
    Never tried this before but in theory it might work. Start to install windows 7 on the PC with the working DVD drive. Let the install get to the stage where it copies all the files over from the DVD. It should then reboot, at this stage turn the PC off and transfer the HDD back to the other PC and continue the install.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by f4rn4th View Post
    Is there not a way for me to install windows on the hdd from the dell machine on the loan machine?
    If you have an ISO of the Windows 7 install disc, you could download Microsoft's USB/DVD Download Tool and create a bootable USB flash drive to use with your Dell Dimension.

Thank Post
    why not download a Linux ISO and try and boot that and see if your drive is accessible then ? you can boot from CD or memstick... I'd boot from CD to test your drive and if it boots it I'd say theres nothing wrong with your optical drive.

Desktop | Ubuntu

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread