+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Forced down the 64bit route...any tips or gotchas to look out for? in Technical; Having been told to purchase the Adobe Master Collection CS6 as it was a requirement for teaching IT and Art ...
    Thank Post

Forced down the 64bit route...any tips or gotchas to look out for?

Having been told to purchase the Adobe Master Collection CS6 as it was a requirement for teaching IT and Art we've now of course discovered that several of the applications no longer run on 32bit Windows 7.

We've been running 32bit Windows 7 for over a year now and everything is bedded in well, full lock-down policies for students via GPO, DC's are all running Windows Server 2008 R2.

We are using WDS to roll out Windows 7 to our existing XP estate and I have an apprentice on this job full time and its running smoothly.

I am about to start on a standard "image" for a base 64bit install and wondered what things I should be looking out for?

1. Should I create a new WMI filter in Group Policy Management and then duplicate all my policies so I can test each one for compatibility with 64bit or should all the general polices such as lock-down, redirecting desktops and start-menu, setting IE proxy, setting power management, software restiction, wsus settings ALL just work?

2. I've read a bit about printer driver support being a pain. Our current print server is only running Server 2003 R2 service pack 2 - it's also our WSUS server....

Any help appreciated...

Thank Post
    Software will be your biggest caveat. GPOs should just work.

We pushed 64bit out to everything that would take it here in the summer and we didn't change anything on our network at all... we just said this software doesn't work anymore and people were happy with that...but we're lucky in that we don't have shelves of software written by monkeys for use in schools.

Printer drivers can be a problem, but it depends on your printers... most printers are fine we've found, only stuff like LaserJet 1000s cause trouble with 64bit OSes. As long as you install the 32 and 64bit drivers it'll just pull down the correct driver when it's installed.

Thank Post
    start menus as software will be in program files (x86) so redirected start menus can be fun

Thank Post
    Get a 64bit machine, and setup a 32bit vm on it so you have both of best worlds.

5. Thanks to rslulz from:

SimpleSi (10th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you're already on 7 you're almost done. Check for any dirty old 16bit software that could cause hickups and add 64bit drivers to your printserver. If you use redirected start menus etc. you'll need to look at those as above but you should be good to go for almost everything.

Thank Post
    As people have mentioned above, the only things you really need to keep an eye out for are printer drivers and any software shortcuts that may be affected by the "Program Files (x86)" folder change -- watch out for this same issue in any scripts you may have that point specifically to the program files folder!

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone:

I've shoehorned this on to another thread in the windows section but it might be better to put it here too:

I have the following working WMI filters:

Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem Where Version like "5.1%" and ProductType = "1"
    Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem Where Version like "6.1%" and ProductType = "1"

So I can target XP and Win7 seperately.

I know want to add Win7 64bit in to the fray as a new WMI filter

Anything existing can be filetered as is I reckon, so I just need a new WMI filter so I can target specific policies to 64 bit windows 7.

Would this work for the new WMI filter?
    Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem Where Version like "6.1%" and ProductType = "1" and AddressWidth="64"

I am also wondering if I should edit my existing WMI filter for Windows 7 so that it applies only to 32 bit.

Or would three WMI filters for Windows 7 give me most flexibility.
    One for all flavours, one for 32 bit and one fore 64 bit

Does anyone else do it that way?

So I am guessing I would have:

Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem Where Version like "6.1%" and ProductType = "1" and AddressWidth="64"
    Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem Where Version like "6.1%" and ProductType = "1" and AddressWidth="32"
    SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Version = '6.1%' AND ProductType = '1' AND ( OSArchitecture="32-bit" OR OSArchitecture="64-bit" )

Comments appreciated.

Thank Post
    win7 32bit

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Version like "6.1%" AND ProductType="1" AND NOT OSArchitecture = "64-bit"

win 7 64bit

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Version like "6.1%" AND ProductType="1" AND OSArchitecture = "64-bit"

target any 32bit os

SELECT AddressWidth FROM Win32_Processor WHERE AddressWidth ='32'

target any 64Bit os

SELECT AddressWidth FROM Win32_Processor WHERE AddressWidth ='64

10. Thanks to rslulz from:

kennysarmy (10th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks rslulz....

So I should be able to edit my existing WMI filter for windows 7 which currently reads:

Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem Where Version like "6.1%" and ProductType = "1"

and edit it to:
    select * from Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Version like "6.1%" AND ProductType="1" AND NOT OSArchitecture = "64-bit"

and it wont break anything on my network as all my existing windows 7 PC's were installed from the 32bit iso....

?

Thank Post
    Should be, but like anything I suggest testing in a test environment before implementing into production. I've attached a few links that may help you further.

WMI 32-bit Software on 64-bit OS - Script Center - Spiceworks

Using WMI Filters to apply Group Policy to a target operating system - Spiceworks

Create WMI Filters for the GPO

Thank Post
    We ran into a lot of problems with a mixed set of 64-bit/32-bit Epson drivers. Just running one or the other worked but the 64-bit server was not happy about pushing out 32-bit drivers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    We ran into a lot of problems with a mixed set of 64-bit/32-bit Epson drivers. Just running one or the other worked but the 64-bit server was not happy about pushing out 32-bit drivers.
    Did you filter them with gpo?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    I think you may need to add some brackets in there...

Code:
    SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Version LIKE "6.1%" AND ProductType="1" AND (NOT OSArchitecture = "64-bit")
    Is there any reason why you are using NOT OSArchitecture = "64-bit" instead of OSArchitecture = "32-bit"?

Code:
    SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Version LIKE "6.1%" AND ProductType = "1" AND OSArchitecture = "32-bit"

Thank Post
    My filter for windows 7 64 bit failed

Can anyone see why?

Checked creating a new desktop policy for admins and ran the group policy results wizard to find out why the right desktop did nt apply and it says WMI failed.

WMI Filters
    Name Value Reference GPO(s)
    W7 True 7-Default Domain Policy, 7-Desktop and Start Menu Sadmins, 7-Internet Explorer Settings Sadmins, 7-Office 2010, 7-reg-MSS

Win764bit False 7-Desktop and Start Menu Sadmins 64

XP False Copy of Desktop Redirection IE settings Sadmin, Default Domain Policy, Office 2003 Policy, Office2010

Thank Post
    will try : AND OSArchitecture = "64-bit" instead...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast