+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Removing Start Menu Items in Technical; Not sure if this should be under O/S deployment but I am looking for a way to clear out all ...

Thank Post

Removing Start Menu Items

Not sure if this should be under O/S deployment but I am looking for a way to clear out all the "windows feature" start menu programs (remote desktop, snipping tool, magnifier etc...) I would just like the machines to have word / outlook / excel / powerpoint in the start menu.

I would like this to be applied to my base image, so either as a batch file that can run once on initial setup or some other method.

Any clues?

When i sysprep the machien and remove the shortcuts, then apply the images the short cuts reappear.

Thank Post
    You ever played with folder redirection? Redirect the Start Menu (and Desktop if you want) to a share. Allows you to control what icons users have access to from a central location.

I believe combining this with the group policy which removes the common programs, such as magnifier, remote desktop etc will give you the result you need.

This is found in:

Group Policy -> User Configuration -> Policies (if 2008R2) -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Task Bar -> Remove Common Program Groups from Start Menu.

Enable that policy.

To explain further, you create a group policy (lets call it - Pupil Redirection Policy)

You enter into that policy's editor and under the user configuration, you go to -> Windows Settings -> Folder Redirection -> Start Menu

You right click start menu and redirect everyones folder to the same location.

Let say that location is \\FileServer\StartMenus\Staff\Teachers

Within that shared folder (this needs to be confirmed with someone at a windows 7 network, which I, at this moment in time, am not) you have a folder called "programs" and within that folder you have links to your Microsoft Word, Excel etc.

Combine that with the policy I mentioned above about the common programs and this will remove all the default junk and just display your centralised start menu.

Ensure your permissions restrict people saving files to the start menu, otherwise that will be shared everywhere, especially important if you do this to the desktop as well.

If you want people to use the desktop as a place to save files, you may wish to redirect their desktop to their profile instead.

It will then populate their desktop with the links you set to begin with then allow them to save and edit their desktop as they wish within their profile, not affecting anyone else on the network.

Hope this helps.

Need someone to confirm the "programs" folder bit, as XP and 7 are very different and at the moment I am at a windows XP school.

-----Alternative----

You can also use a vbs to run as a login script to populate the user's desktop when they login.

Though you need to have knowledge of vbscript to do this. I unfortunately do not have a vbs script to hand to create a bog standard start menu shortcut. I have seen it done however.

As for a batch script, unsure. You could Xcopy premade links from one place to another, I don't know if you can create a shortcut in command line. Something is telling me you should be able to, but i've never seen it before.

Bit of a Yah-Googley-Bing Job.
    Last edited by DEvans; 8th May 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Thank Post
    These machines will not be on the domain though, Will GP still work?

Thank Post
    I think I will continue searching around for a VBS script, I found a nice one that cleans up the taskbar and places IE, Windows Explorer, FireFox, Word, Excel, Outlook on it... im sure osmeone has made one for the start menu

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
    These machines will not be on the domain though, Will GP still work?
    Ah, you didn't mention that.

In that case no.

It would need to be a scripted installation, you will need to look at vbs, from what I found on the net, command line just isn't suitable for the amount of modification you need to do.

Surely before you take a snapshot of your image, you have created the "perfect" machine, with the correct icons in place.

You can remove the common programs by a local group policy edit, saves you removing it all. Type Gpedit.msc in your run bar and go to the common programs policy in the same place I mentioned in my previous post.

That will hide them all for you, not delete them. Might be worth setting that in your reference image.

Thank Post
    There's a couple of scripts for controlling pinned items on the Start Menu, also there's a GPO to clear the recent programs list for new users which will give what you want. On the 7 Start Menu it's not so much what's in the Start Menu folder rather the Pinned Items that users see. More info on my blog post...

How to… get a perfect Windows 7 managed Start Menu and Taskbar gshaw0

7. Thanks to gshaw from:

ninjabeaver (9th May 2012)

Thank Post
    if you dont want the features installed you can probably use sysprep on new builds and not install them

failing that if you know the shortcuts location a quick batch file and just attrib+h them

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread