+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, I am trying to go from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Windows 7. in Technical; I am trying to go from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Windows 7. The 32 bit Vista was installed ...
    Thank Post

I am trying to go from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Windows 7.

The 32 bit Vista was installed by mistake. My system can handle a 64 bit OS. Now I have finally found the time to upgrade. But the 64 bit intallation DVD can't be read from my OS. Any Advice?

I have tried setting up my CMOS so that I can boot from the DVD but I have run into some issues. First of all, when I look at my keyboard during the boot procedure, I noticed that the little light which indicates that one row of buttons are to be used for F1 - F12 keys, the little green led light goes on and off. Sometimes, during the boot process, it is on, sometimes it is off.

The CMOS procedure tells me I can hit F12 and set the boot order. I can hit F12 but when I go into that menu, I notice my keyboard is dead. The CPU does not accept any commands from me. So I need to power off and power on and try again.

The CMOS procedure tells me I can hit DEL and that launches the whole CMOS utility. There I can set the boot order so that the DVD is run first. But when I save and exit, I notice my keyboard is dead again. This time, the screen is showing things being set and loaded and I am prompted to hit any key to show I am sure that I want to boot from the DVD. I hit the Y key and I hit the spacebar, but it becomes clear that my input is ignored since my keyboard is being ignored. And the ol' Vista OS is loaded.

Please advise. Is there any way to set things up in the VISTA OS to force a boot from the DVD? I guess I can load the OS in save mode and format the C drive, but if I do that I might risk having a dead computer since the CMOS does not seem to be trusting enough to boot from the DVD drive even if you tell it to.

Microsoft has this page of links:
    Installing Windows: 7 recommended links

And then there is this link:
    32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

And the Notes section specifies that I need boot off the DVD drive:
    "•To install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using a 64-bit Windows 7 installation disc or files."

So, how do I make this happen?

When I completely power off and restart without going through CMOS, it seems to go further. The DVD player spins for a while, but in the end, after a few warning and error messages, it always comes to a point where it seems to prompt me if I am sure I want to boot off the DVD, the keyboard input is not recognized, and I return to my VISTA desktop.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Find another installation disc - it's likely yours is no good.

It's not about making Vista recognise it at all - it's not even part of the process, because it's long before Windows even starts. It's the computer itself, or as said, a 7 disc which isn't bootable or is too damaged/dirty.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xarzu View Post
    I notice my keyboard is dead.
    Do you have a USB or PS/2 keyboard? With the former, you may need to enable the "USB keyboard support" or "USB legacy support" options in your BIOS. Does you keyboard work when you boot from others discs e.g. Vista, Ubuntu, UBCD?

Is there any way to set things up in the Vista OS to force a boot from the DVD?
    No. You can't upgrade to a 64-bit OS from within a 32-bit OS. Booting from the install disc is the only way.

I guess I can load the OS in safe mode and format the C drive
    Safe mode won't work either. You have to format your hard drive from within Windows setup (after booting from the disc) or via another method such as DBAN. It goes without saying that you should backup data you wish to keep before doing this.

As Synaesthesia mentioned above, your Windows 7 DVD may also be defective. Try another disc or install Windows from a USB flash drive.

I would also update the BIOS to the latest version available if you haven't already. BIOSs can sometimes have bugs which are fixed in later releases (assuming the manufacturer can be bothered).
    Last edited by Arthur; 7th May 2012 at 01:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts

The 32 bit Vista was installed by mistake. My system can handle a 64 bit OS. Now I have finally found the time to upgrade. But the 64 bit intallation DVD can't be read from my OS. Any Advice?
    This is normal. With Windows Vista 64Bit installed you can read 32Bit discs, but not the other way around like you're trying to do. It's also not possible to perform a direct 32Bit > 64Bit upgrade as Windows is coded differently.

I have tried setting up my CMOS so that I can boot from the DVD but I have run into some issues. First of all, when I look at my keyboard during the boot procedure, I noticed that the little light which indicates that one row of buttons are to be used for F1 - F12 keys, the little green led light goes on and off. Sometimes, during the boot process, it is on, sometimes it is off.

The CMOS procedure tells me I can hit F12 and set the boot order. I can hit F12 but when I go into that menu, I notice my keyboard is dead. The CPU does not accept any commands from me. So I need to power off and power on and try again.
    I agree with what Arthur wrote, but you should also be able to doggle the F keys on/off using F Lock, which is typically at the top right of your keyboard.

The CMOS procedure tells me I can hit DEL and that launches the whole CMOS utility. There I can set the boot order so that the DVD is run first. But when I save and exit, I notice my keyboard is dead again. This time, the screen is showing things being set and loaded and I am prompted to hit any key to show I am sure that I want to boot from the DVD. I hit the Y key and I hit the spacebar, but it becomes clear that my input is ignored since my keyboard is being ignored. And the ol' Vista OS is loaded.
    What you're doing here is the correct method. It could well be there's a problem with the keyboard. Have you tried another keyboard? And if possible use a PS2 keyboard and not a USB one. Some computers only allow USB keyboards.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread