+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Anyone gone 64 bit windows 7 (should i down this route) in Technical; We're going straight for 64bit WIndows 7 in a mass rollout this Summer. I will not succumb to installing redundant ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 863 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're going straight for 64bit WIndows 7 in a mass rollout this Summer. I will not succumb to installing redundant software on systems for the sake of one or two (unimportant) programs; if they don't work on 64bit systems they are a) not fit for purpose b) the programmers/publishers must be shot on sight and c) it's as bad as the Millennium Bug as far as I'm concerned. If it's 32 bit only and it's been made in the last few years, it's broken.
    We will be going 32bit Office though, due to the issues outline here. Printers are already on a 2008 R2 server so have 64bit drivers sorted out already. The difficulty isn't usually in finding 64bit drivers for those, it's finding the right ones to correspond with your 32bit drivers so 2008 print server works properly

Thank Post
    If the above post (by synaesthesia) had a like button I would click it.

I think the same way most stuff will work, I cannot comment on SIMS as I don't use it but I've had our stuff working, all I can say is build a machine and try it and see. You don't get anywhere if you don't try.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 863 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For note, SIMS and FMS both appear to work fine on 64bit - tested thoroughly

Thank Post
    We had a look at 64bit windows last summer, but found there were too many D&T software that were 16bit.. And they wanted to be able to use them.

Some of the 'older' staff have now left, so we can have another go this summer, and try to persuade them that this software is really too old to be used anymore. Trouble is, some of this software is to control the CAD/CAM machines....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    We're going straight for 64bit WIndows 7 in a mass rollout this Summer. I will not succumb to installing redundant software on systems for the sake of one or two (unimportant) programs; if they don't work on 64bit systems they are a) not fit for purpose b) the programmers/publishers must be shot on sight and c) it's as bad as the Millennium Bug as far as I'm concerned. If it's 32 bit only and it's been made in the last few years, it's broken.
    We will be going 32bit Office though, due to the issues outline here. Printers are already on a 2008 R2 server so have 64bit drivers sorted out already. The difficulty isn't usually in finding 64bit drivers for those, it's finding the right ones to correspond with your 32bit drivers so 2008 print server works properly
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Unfortunately we're absolutely married to some really old crusty software. The funny thing is it'll run just find on an x64 system, but it's the installer that complains and won't finish. I've gotten around this by packaging it up into an MSI or Ghost AI on an x32 system and using the package on the x64 box. It's dirty, but it works for those oddball pieces of software that are used once in a century.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    The 8 gig is a special deal with ac manager but the standard 4 gig is here
    Fujitsu Esprimo E400 Small Form Factor PC / Intel Core i5-2320 / 4GB / 500GB / Windows 7 Professional / 3 Year Warranty Upgrade - www.misco.co.uk

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 - 3.00GHz Processor
    4GB RAM DDR3 / 500GB Hard Disk Drive
    DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (includes 32-bit recovery media)
    3 Year On-site Warranty Upgrade
    Nice, shame they're all in desktop form as I need towers for the rooms we're doing at the moment.

Anyone using Fujitsu kit? Never really heard much about them in for use in education, build quality and warranty response are the bits I'm interested in (and importantly whether they use Intel NICs as pretty much any other network card manufacturer tends to have awful drivers)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We're looking at this ourselves at the moment, and I'm testing a 64Bit image at present.

Biggest problem so far has been older software. And also, we use CSE to build the Start Menu with all the Shortcuts pointing to c:\program files\, but of course software gets installed into c:\program files (x86)\ so the links don't work. The prism packager is being clever by installing software into the right location but CSE Client isnt. The option is to create different set of icons for either 32bit or 64bit.

I may roll out just one area with 64Bit during the Summer which is getting the new kit and see how it goes.

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We only had three bits of software that choked on 64bit all of which had upgrades impressivly. Commendable Software Support - Greygum Software

64bit is definatly the way foward and you should look to move now and get the little issues out of the way while there are still multiple paths and solutions rather than being forced into it all at once with the next versions. By going with the tech each upgrade we have managed to purge/upgrade most of the software titles as we went so we only dropped one or two at a time rather than a whole stak at once.

Thank Post
    Just went 64 bit and only hit three applications with issues. Micro smile which you can no longer buy as its 16bit and novat4 and some mfl program. Otherwise it's been fine. I setup a wmi query to change start menu if it's 64bit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    @Rozzer:
    If you thinking of future proofing you could also take a look at this:UEFI - Home

This is what I would be looking at if I was purchasing new clients, this along with Windows 8 will keep the boot process down to a couple of seconds instead of 1 minute plus depending on your hardware.

This plus 64 bit clients is what I will be looking at for the forseeable future along with new server OS, the future with Microsoft looks bright........very bright indeed.

Thank Post
    we are also looking at x64 on our next build as a possibility, printers is definitely an issue, especially with our old brother printers that we have, we are looking to change our printer server over to a nice 2008r2 virtual server, but thats one for the holidays project wise, because of the downtime involved and switching over of pcounter onto the new machine. we have some older hardware on site too, which I dont know if it would cope with the 64 bit as well, drivers can be an issue for most things im finding on older hardware.

My machine is x64 on site and it works well, GPOs can be quirky though also and WMI filters need to be looked at also when sorting your gpos as well.

Thank Post
    thanks to all who have posted.

trying a 64 bit setup to see how things go

gpos are a little flakey my standard 32bit win 7 gpo setup does not seem to be applying (gonna look on monday to see whats happening)
    Last edited by round2it; 18th May 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Thank Post
    One problem I am seeing: with SIMS, but I guess it would apply to any 32 bit app on 64 bit Windows. We have Ranger controlling desptop profiles with links to commonly used programs. SIMS shortcut links to c:\Program Files\Sims\sims.net , whereas 64 bit PCs need C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS.net.

Does anyone know a way to have one link that works for both 32/64 Win?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CadlaM View Post
    One problem I am seeing: with SIMS, but I guess it would apply to any 32 bit app on 64 bit Windows. We have Ranger controlling desptop profiles with links to commonly used programs. SIMS shortcut links to c:\Program Files\Sims\sims.net , whereas 64 bit PCs need C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS.net.

Does anyone know a way to have one link that works for both 32/64 Win?
    I am in the same situation- I am looking to replace seventy odd staff laptops and they will be runnijg SIMS, PARS, SmartBoard software and Office 2010. I know SIMS works fine on a 64bit machine as it's actually running from a 64bit 2008 server and I also know that PARS works on a 64bit OS and you only need to point the shortcut to program files (x86). The issue I had with a few 64bit PCs is the print drivers, where I have to reisntall the HP 64 bit drivers on a 64bit 2008 server. But I am sure not all printers ahve 64bit drivers.

Thanks for any advice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12