+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, can a netbook fly? aka issues with netbooks and logon in Technical; Hi all, my school has around 75 netbooks currently all running a 32 bit version of win 7 enterprise. We've ...
    Thank Post

can a netbook fly? aka issues with netbooks and logon

Hi all,
    my school has around 75 netbooks currently all running a 32 bit version of win 7 enterprise. We've installed a ruckus wireless network with ruckus zd 1000 controller. The issue I'm having all over the school relates to logging on. The errors I'm getting reported and I've seen for myself are:

The trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed.

and

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

also, sometimes

Not enough resources available to logon.

From what I can tell, both point to not being able to talk to the DC. Sometimes a restart will kick out the problem and allow a student to use the netbook, sometimes not. I would say that it might be connectivity but our radius server has all domain computers allowed to connect and we have WAP's with cross-coverage in the rooms they are used.

The one major change I've done recently is AD related. I've set our user accts to be created by our SMS, which had the unforeseeable side effect of renaming thebottom level OU the school computers are in. (went from internal.school.nz/My_High_School/Computers to internal.school.nz/MyHighSchool/Computers) just removed the underscores between the names but i've already caught some places this makes a huge difference. all the GPOs stayed with the correct OU's however so AD handled that correctly as just a rename and not recreating everything.

If anyone can help me resolve this, I'd be forever in debt. this has been an issue since we purchased the netbooks in January but has just gotten worse.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,674 Posts
    TBH we have the same setup - netbooks and ruckus and we have the same issue. When all 32 are out, at least 4 will fail with one of the two errors you describe. Sometimes a reboot sorts, but mostly I have to log on as admin and take them off the domain and put them back on again immediately to make them work.
    I did have some DHCP errors which didnt seem to upset the PCs but did upset the netbooks and that has helped but I too would be grateful for any insights into this issue

Thank Post
    thanks, good to know i'm not alone in this.

Rejoining to the domain was the last thing I tried yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, the restart was taking ages so I left them to go overnight. (45+ minutes at 'Please wait')

Thank Post
    I put verbose logging on them so that I could see what they were getting stuck on. Also people feel happier if the words on the screen change so that they can see that the netbook is actually doing something.
    45 minutes is ridiculous though - something weird going on there, I think.

Thank Post
    Hi There,
    We had the same issues.
    This link might have the answer - /var/log/metasplo.it: Windows 7 wireless NIC not initializing before netlogon service

6. 2 Thanks to MaximusR:

SYNACK (3rd May 2012), witch (3rd May 2012)

Thank Post
    We have had some problems with laptops and wireless before, a fix to get around this was to setup a gpo on said computers and use the "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" this would make sure that the wireless in the laptops case to be connected before the logon screen was available. Seemed to help us out as it wouldn't allow students to login without connectivity. May be worth a shot.

Thank Post
    Oh jeez, this error has been driving me crazt for months as well. Every week I have to rejoin 4-6 of our laptops/netbooks to the domain to get them working again. Very frustrating for the pupils, teachers and me!

a fix to get around this was to setup a gpo on said computers and use the "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" this would make sure that the wireless in the laptops case to be connected before the logon screen was available
    I set this on my laptops here too, but the problem still occurs

I'm going to give the advice in that post above a shot, running
    Code:
    sc config netlogon depend= wlansvc/lanmanworkstation
    to make the netlogon dependant on the wireless being connected first, which seems to be the cause of the problem (not having a wiireless connection until after windows has been logged in to).

Thank Post
    Looks as if it might work but I dont use SCCM so can someone explain if and how I can apply this fix? Where do I run it?
    thanks

Thank Post
    Just run it by typing into CMD, or make it into a batch flie

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread