+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, User Account Profile Picture on login screen in Technical; Morning all, Not really a critical one this, but just something I'd like to do really whilst I'm playing around ...

Thank Post

User Account Profile Picture on login screen

Morning all,

Not really a critical one this, but just something I'd like to do really whilst I'm playing around with our Group Policies.

When a Windows 7 Enterprise (SP1) PC boots up and it gets to the login screen, after pressing CTRL, ALT, DEL, there is a frame just about where the user enters their username and password.

I would like to put a picture in there that is the same for all users. Once the user has logged on, I have set the default profile picture (that appears at the start of the start menu and then appears in that box when the user locks their machine), but I don't seem to be able to do it at the initial logon screen. I'm pretty sure it's possible as I've seen it done somewhere else.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    Morning all,

Not really a critical one this, but just something I'd like to do really whilst I'm playing around with our Group Policies.

When a Windows 7 Enterprise (SP1) PC boots up and it gets to the login screen, after pressing CTRL, ALT, DEL, there is a frame just about where the user enters their username and password.

I would like to put a picture in there that is the same for all users. Once the user has logged on, I have set the default profile picture (that appears at the start of the start menu and then appears in that box when the user locks their machine), but I don't seem to be able to do it at the initial logon screen. I'm pretty sure it's possible as I've seen it done somewhere else.

Any ideas?
    The "standard" approach seems to be normally editting the logon background so it lines up with the box. Makes it easier to do for everyone (Assuming you change the background?)

Steve

3. Thanks to Steve21 from:

Iain.Faulkner (30th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    The "standard" approach seems to be normally editting the logon background so it lines up with the box. Makes it easier to do for everyone (Assuming you change the background?)

Steve
    Sadly I'd guessed this was the way to do it :-( was hoping for a GPO option, but nevermind :-(

Thank Post
    Sadly I'd guessed this was the way to do it :-( was hoping for a GPO option, but nevermind :-(
    You can still do it by GPO, just seems most don't.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp

Is the picture you want set, then:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> User Accounts

And apply pic to all users

Steve

6. Thanks to Steve21 from:

Iain.Faulkner (30th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks again Steve,

I've already enabled this policy, and it does set the picture once the user is logged on. It's when the computer initially boots up (before the user has logged on) where I'm trying to set the picture to appear. Google has proved very fruitful, so I'm thinking I am going to have to just position it.

Thank Post
    Thanks again Steve,

I've already enabled this policy, and it does set the picture once the user is logged on. It's when the computer initially boots up (before the user has logged on) where I'm trying to set the picture to appear. Google has proved very fruitful, so I'm thinking I am going to have to just position it.
    The only way to actually change the picture is to hack the AuthUI.dll file with a resource editor application. You change bitmap 12223 to the photo you would like. The only problem is it gets reset back to the blank screen when the file is updated in patches, which already happened to me once.

But it is do-able.

9. Thanks to rschmidt from:

Iain.Faulkner (4th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rschmidt View Post
    The only problem is it gets reset back to the blank screen when the file is updated in patches, which already happened to me once.
    We've encountered black screens, red screens & blue screens. It seems to rely on the image size. When your bmp exceeds a certain size it has a benny.

The safest bet is to create an entire background and line it up. Updates & Service packs can cause the problem described by rschmidt.

We searched the internet high and low to accomplish this with success one day followed by epic failure the next. Such a small cosmetic change is actually a right headache.

It is certainly the authUI.dll that needs to be modified, but it is a very sensitive file which will bite your head off if you upset it.

11. Thanks to DEvans from:

Iain.Faulkner (8th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Although I appreciate that this is a real pain in the backside....does anyone have a link to a site that gives advice on editing the authUI.dll file?

(I'm going to do some research on it myself, but would be interested to find out if anyone can point me in the direction of a reliable source).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could try a symbolic link (hardlink) to replace the normal machine desktop file with a wallpaper file based on the server.

Word is that Windows has managed to implement symbolic links correctly in the last couple of years. Even so, they've made a dog's dinner of the implementation: hard links, junctions and symbolic links.

Hard Links and Junctions

Give it a go, it might even work.

14. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

Iain.Faulkner (8th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Although I appreciate that this is a real pain in the backside....does anyone have a link to a site that gives advice on editing the authUI.dll file?

(I'm going to do some research on it myself, but would be interested to find out if anyone can point me in the direction of a reliable source).
    asilaydyingdl.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Custom-7-Authui-dll-170182028 (I had to remove the hxxp:// because I only have 1 post )

Just one of many. A google search for "authui.dll 12223 resource" will bring up a bunch of results.

16. Thanks to rschmidt from:

Iain.Faulkner (9th May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread