+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Change Proxy Settings/Internet Properties not available in Technical; My son has a netbook with Windows 7. At school they use a proxy server. Previously he has had no ...

Thank Post

Change Proxy Settings/Internet Properties not available

My son has a netbook with Windows 7. At school they use a proxy server. Previously he has had no problem switching between using his netbook at school and then again at home. However, on his recent return to school he has been unable to access his Change Proxy Settings button which means he can't access the internet at school. Going through the Control Panel also doesn't give him access to Internet Options. He was using Chrome and the Change Proxy Settings button in Chrome simply does nothing when clicked. Same story in IE.
    I've scanned it completely and it is free of malware, viruses and any other nasties. His school technicians are not being helpful at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all please as the point of the netbook is for him to be able to use it at school?

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Is his user the only user on the machine?
    What do you mean it "does nothing"? Does it allow you to set a proxy which then doesn't work?
    Have you tried (for the sake of completeness) doing the same in firefox?

Thank Post
    it sounds like he either has a piece of software restricting access to those internet settings as a way of controlling the effects of a browser hi-jack or the machine has picked up some kind of policy either from the school network or because someone has fiddled! I'll have a look and see if there is a way of checking.

Thank Post
    Yes, he is the only user of the machine.

Yes, I installed Firefox and uninstalled Chrome but still no joy.

The Change Proxy Settings button does nothing when pressed. No options come up at all. When clicking on Internet Properties or Options through Control Panel - nothing happens.

I think it is a setting he has inherited from school which is why it is so frustrating that his IT technicians are being so unhelpful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Does he have permission to use his personal netbook at school?

Ben

Thank Post
    I wonder whether multiple reboots off the school network may fix this, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 boots to adopt gpo...

Thank Post
    If it's not a member of the domain then it wouldn't inherit GPO's though.

ben

Thank Post
    its a fair point, but I can't think of anything else that would cause that behaviour, other than a corruption. Unless it is something like s&d spybot which prevents access to the internet options...

Thank Post
    Yes, he has permission to use his personal netbook at school. They went wireless and actively encouraged students to take their own devices. It worked fine for 6 months, then he came home for a weekend and connected to our wi-fi. When he went back to school he couldn't get on to the proxy settings to reconfigure to getting back on the network.

I think it is down to the technicians to sort it out as I think it is a policy setting like someone else has suggested.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What version of Windows 7 is on this netbook? Is it a school owned and issued device or is it something you've bought for him?

If it's running a Home version of W7 or if it's not a member of the school's domain, it's not going to be a school policy which has caused the issue and in that case it won't be down to the school techs to sort out.
    Last edited by Norphy; 11th April 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 69liz View Post

I think it is down to the technicians to sort it out as I think it is a policy setting like someone else has suggested.
    If his computer has not been joined to the school domain which would have probably had to have been done by the school technicians then it cannot have applied any school settings so is not "down to the technicians" unfortunately this issue is something that will become more prevelant with BYOD who fixes it when it goes wrong.....

As has been said it could have been some malware contracted at home that is preventing this access and therefore is not the schools fault.

If you've installed firefox that takes the IE settings but is not iteself affected by the proxy settings in control panel as it stored them itself under options - options - network - settings

Ben

Thank Post
    He has AVG Free on there but not Spybot. He does have Malwarebytes but I downloaded that after the problem started so that I could scan for problems.

His AVG did actually stop working as well - ie. He couldn't open it - nothing happened when clicking the icon - does that give any more clues?

I uninstalled that and re-installed it.

Thank Post
    The netbook is running Windows 7 Starter. When he first took it to school he had to log on to a school registration network - this was set up especially for students to register their laptops and netbooks on the system - the school actively encouraged students to bring back their own equipment and this netbook was brought new for this purpose.
    Once he had registered he was emailed by the technicians which said his netbook was fine and they gave him the password needed to access the main school network. He was then given the proxy server address and the port that he had to add. This he did and all was fine but recently he has not been able to access the proxy settings in order to change it so he can use it at school.

Thank Post
    It is extremely unlikely that his netbook could have picked up a policy, as others have said - not a domain member, so not feasible.

The only way to push proxy settings to non-domain members is DHCP (opt 252), or DNS, and both these should (a) make things better, not worse, and (b) not prevent folk changing the proxy manually.

I take it the behaviour is also exhibited at home?

Is there any recent software installed (and before you believe a "no", check the list in "installed programs" and let us know what's on this machine).

Thank Post
    The fact that both the Antivirus and the proxy settings are not available screams out malware infection of some sort to me.

Google “Eset online scanner” and run a full scan.
    Did Malwarebytes not find anything?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast