+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, W7 home directories in Technical; Hi Guys Just set up new W7 PCs on a 2k3 server. Mapped drives work fine but for the life ...

Thank Post

W7 home directories

Hi Guys

Just set up new W7 PCs on a 2k3 server. Mapped drives work fine but for the life of me I cant seem to work out how I can change the documents folder to be pointing to the users home directory on the server eg \\servername\home\%username%
    it is just pointing to c:\users etc. Eventrying to save in word the default is local and I need it to be network home or shared drives.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boogster View Post
    Hi Guys

Just set up new W7 PCs on a 2k3 server. Mapped drives work fine but for the life of me I cant seem to work out how I can change the documents folder to be pointing to the users home directory on the server eg \\servername\home\%username%
    it is just pointing to c:\users etc. Eventrying to save in word the default is local and I need it to be network home or shared drives.

Thanks
    Why not just use the path? Its under folder redirection. I think you can also use %HOMEPATH% too but I could be wrong. We do not use home paths in AD. AD user accounts, cache locally with a local default user and redirect the documents folder to \\server\share\schoolname\%username%\documents is how we do it.

Thank Post
    @boogster
    I am doing the same thing but on Server 2008 R2 domain. I am redirecting in Group Policy to \\server\share\%sername%\ for my documents. I set Music, Pictures and Videos to follow My Documents in the same Group Policy. When I log on as the user I can click on Music, pictures and Video icons under the Library and these have the home drive location mapped (along with a local public one) but My documents under the Library still points to C:\Users\%sername%\documents (along with a local public one). From what I have read the Library does not support network shares as these are not indexed. Somehow the Group Policy I put in has added the home drive share to Music and to Pictures but wont do it for My Documents.

I am guessing you are having a similar problem?

How do you manipulate Libraries in a Domain environment? I dont want them to point to anywhere local but to the users home drive on the network.
    Last edited by fiza; 11th April 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread