+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Exam User Account in Technical; I am in the process of turning a group of laptops into exam ready laptops. For this I need on ...
    Thank Post

Question Exam User Account

I am in the process of turning a group of laptops into exam ready laptops. For this I need on a local non networked PC to lock a user out of all applications other than that of Wordpad. All I have done so far is made a user "examuser" on the laptop and then tried using gpedit.msc to set the black list of application to everything, however this just does not work the user can still seemingly run all other applications and not only this but its bloody time consuming and I have another 6 to do like this, I really need help with an easy way to make a user can only access wordpad, save it and do nothing else.

HELP ME!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not put them on the domain and remove network access?

Thank Post
    Cant remember everything I did, some local GPO to hide drive letters and stuff
    But when we repurposed some old laptops with XP, i changed the shell itself to wordpad - work is saved onto a pendrive.
    To save doing them individually, why not clone (then keep a copy for an emergency)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have an exam user account that works on normal network, locked down with GPO and a mandatory profile. Combine it with something like Impero and you pretty much have your back covered.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've never heard of needing a non networked machine for Exams.... the 2 schools and the college I was at both had Networked Machines for exams.. Both had different sets of policies for the network and Internet - only certain sites where allowed they couldn't browse the network - and the user account assigned to them had only what they needed - extra lock down policies and start menu only had notepad and office and documents stored on Desktop and I think the profiles where even on a different part of the server, at the college the range of IP's for the Exam rooms where different from the main network so we could apply different web polcies.
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 28th March 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi guys thanks for the replies. The specific requirements sent through from the examining body where that the PC's because of the exam's that they are doing cannot be networked. As we do have a domain account set up for this kind of thing, however for these exams they have asked that we adhear to a set of rules they sent us this means, I have to ensure they have to network ablity and no access to any other functions outside of Wordpad, So all I need to do it just hide all the applications, Icon and lock them out of them. So there is no chance they can cheat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    go into the user account and manually delete everything except for wordpad, remove everything from the start menus etc etc, and block access to drive C: using gpedit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdell View Post
    Hi guys thanks for the replies. The specific requirements sent through from the examining body where that the PC's because of the exam's that they are doing cannot be networked. As we do have a domain account set up for this kind of thing, however for these exams they have asked that we adhear to a set of rules they sent us this means, I have to ensure they have to network ablity and no access to any other functions outside of Wordpad, So all I need to do it just hide all the applications, Icon and lock them out of them. So there is no chance they can cheat.
    Out of curiosity, What exam board? Never seen that requirement in any of ours. It's just no access to shared drives etc, not "no network access" that I've seen.

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Out of curiosity, What exam board? Never seen that requirement in any of ours. It's just no access to shared drives etc, not "no network access" that I've seen.

Steve
    Same here - even in the Cisco Network Academy!

Thank Post
    To be honest I don't know I am just the one given the stupid jobs! . The paperwork I had forward to me was just a list of do and do not's for these accounts which my NM sent me. So I don't know sorry.

Thank Post
    To be honest I don't know I am just the one given the stupid jobs! . The paperwork I had forward to me was just a list of do and do not's for these accounts which my NM sent me. So I don't know sorry.
    Might be worth asking your NM, as it seems a lot of extra work to setup what you're asking if you don't need it.

Steve

Thank Post
    We have standalone laptops on W7 with Office 2007, spell check, thesaurus, translate etc all disabled.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    We have standalone laptops on W7 with Office 2007, spell check, thesaurus, translate etc all disabled.
    What other additional settings have you added to cover the rest of the applications on the system

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What other additional settings have you added to cover the rest of the applications on the system
    Don't install any other applications? And make the profile for the account mandatory, with a fixed start menu etc...?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Don't install any other applications? And make the profile for the account mandatory, with a fixed start menu etc...?
    Exactly how we do it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast