+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Dreamweaver CS3 and Windows 7 in Technical; We are having a strange issue with the CS3 suite. Everything works fine except for Dreamweaver. Around half of a ...
    Thank Post

Dreamweaver CS3 and Windows 7

We are having a strange issue with the CS3 suite. Everything works fine except for Dreamweaver. Around half of a class will find that they cannot launch it!

If I set the program in compatability mode for XP and set it to run as administrator then all is well, but obviously I do not want to go and visit 600 computers.

Any one know if I can do this via gpo - and is so how?

Many thanks in advance, Ed

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2, there is a way to edit registry: Computer configuration> Preferences> windows settings> registry.

1. Right click registry, chose new registry item

2. In the new registry properties, chose the right Key Path. The value name should be the applications location, the value data should be Compatibility Modes value. You could find them in the link you’ve post.

If you Domain Controllers are all Windows 2003 or 2003 R2, we should edit the key through logon or startup script, If you encounter any problems on customizing the script, you may post the Official Scripting Guys forum. The community members and support professionals there are more familiar with scripting and can help you in a more efficient way.
    Straight rip from here.

Added link in quote to link referenced... [That made sense in my head.]

Should be good, as the user who posted this was asking about Win7.

Thank Post
    Compatability mode has not fixed this, I'm really at a loss. Has anyone else had any issues with running Dreamweaver CS3 on Windows 7?

Thank Post
    We are having a very similar problem, however we have Dreamweaver 8.

We found that the fault appears to move around the room at random, doesn't matter who I login as both my domain admin account, teacher or student accounts and this problem just exists.

I put this down to the fact that the software is just old and are planning to upgrade to CS 5.5.

Sorry to hijack this a bit but has any one got CS 5.5 running on windows 7 without problems, haven't had time to fully test the 30 day trial yet.

Thank Post
    Not much help I know, but we run DW8 on W7 machines with no issues.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by notalot View Post
    We are having a very similar problem, however we have Dreamweaver 8.

We found that the fault appears to move around the room at random, doesn't matter who I login as both my domain admin account, teacher or student accounts and this problem just exists.

I put this down to the fact that the software is just old and are planning to upgrade to CS 5.5.

Sorry to hijack this a bit but has any one got CS 5.5 running on windows 7 without problems, haven't had time to fully test the 30 day trial yet.
    Yes this is the same issue as I see. I can log into all machines as admin, launch dreamweaver and 10 of 30 open fine. Log out and back in again, and a different batch of machines will launch fine whilst the others don't.

My last school moved from CS3 to CS5 (but not 5.5) without an issue during the transistion to Windows 7.

CS6 is due to be launched next month, so I think we are going to have to upgrade!...

Thank Post
    We are completely stumped. We have tried the following

compatibility Mode
    Admin account
    Different profiles
    New profiles
    Reinstall of Dreamweaver
    Patching to 8.02

The only thing that I haven't done is to rebuild our image and see if something went wrong there but I would have thought reinstalling DW would have resolved it.

Our setup currently

Windows 7 SP 1
    Mandatory profiles
    Removed libraries
    Lots of reg edits to remove different shortcuts
    UAC off

I'm not sure if there is anything that we missed but we are thinking about getting 5.5 (or 6) after Easter.

Thank Post
    We ran DW8 and now CS5.5 on Windows 7. DW8 had some sporadic issues with profiles (redirected AppData for students and staff, with roaming profiles for staff and mandatory for students) but was pretty useable and reliable for 99% of users. DW CS5 appears to be working well now we have moved to the newer version.

Thank Post
    I don't know whats wrong with you I'm using Dreamweaver on my Windows 7 (x64bit) from the last one year. Works fine.

Thank Post
    We've had some time to look at this in more detail this week and try various options. I've rolled out a group policy preference to set Dreamweaver (CS3) to run in compatability mode (Windows 98 / Me) for All Users. This appears to have resolved the issue for us. (Strange though that it worked fine on XP clients, but fails to work in XP Compatability mode!)

I've rebooted several rooms, logged them in, checked it works, rebooted, tried someone else. Everytime, all machines work and dreamweaver appears to open. Result!

Thank Post
    We have CS3 Web Standard?
    Only currently installed on XP machines. Would you like me to install and test on a W7 machine for you?

EDIT: Just remembered our ICT Teacher has it on her machine, 64bit OS though. If i remember she has had problems with Flash but dreamweaver fine.
    Last edited by burgemaster; 5th April 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Appears to be a possible conflict with Windows Aero, at least it was on my workstation running CS3. I was finally able to get it to work by changing the following settings ....

1. Right-click on the Dreamweaver shortcut and select Properties.
    2. Switch to the Compatability tab.
    3. Under the Settings section, select 'Disable visual themes' and 'Disable desktop composition'. (It typically worked without disabling the visual themes, but another time it didn't so I just left it checked. I'm pretty sure all settings are restored when you close DReamwevaer anyway.)

Oh and I had compatibility mode set to Windows XP (SP2) and run as admin.

I guess you could disable Windows Aero altogether, or at least the Aero Peek feature, but I like both and really didn't want to see them go. This option gave me the best of both worlds. Guess this will all be a moot point when we finally get with the times and upgrade, but for now, hope this helps at least one person!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread