+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, What does everyone use for VNC`ing into Windows 7 machines? in Technical; Originally Posted by chazzy2501 Windows Remote Assistance, it's built in to windows and will ask the end user for perms ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Windows Remote Assistance, it's built in to windows and will ask the end user for perms before connection. GPO configurable and no need to deploy or update seperately.
    That for those reasons. Why anyone would add 3rd party software overhead is beyond me (the only reason I might use something else is for doing this between two machines that aren't in the same domain).

Thank Post
    Surely asking for permission is a huge hassle? What if you want to grab a few computers to test something on?

Maybe we need to look at our windows 7 ultraVNC installs as other don't seem to have a problem!

Glennda - sorry for confusion

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    What if you want to grab a few computers to test something on?
    Moi? RA is RDP with bells & whistles.. you just RDP to a few computers with your RDP-enabled test account and test something.

Thank Post
    Can you rdp into an a users session then? Without permission? This is how we do it on our terminal server with ts manager. Can you do this with win7 too?
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Don't know - accessing someone's logon session anywhere without them knowing is on the other side on one of *my* personal lines, staff or student it offends my sense of ethics.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sister_annex View Post
    Ooohh any chance of the source for this?
    Absolutely... Let me read up on including GPL licensing since it'll have a copy of TightVNC rolled up with it. Once I've done that I'll attach it to this thread.

Thank Post
    On a whole, I think we are taking about support here not snooping, I doesn't matter if a user knows that we have remoted in or not there will always be a valid reason.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    We have ours to remove desktop background when connected and also shows the VNC icon in the bottom corner to indicate a connection has been made. For some reason the background doesn't reappear again so a member of staff knows we have connected on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    I thought that some of the staff would make a fuss when I rolled out VNC but so far they've only praised it! I only use it when I'm on the phone to them so they know that it's me connecting. Our UltraVNC package also only allow domain admins to connect to machines also providing some extra security in case a student managed to bring a VNC viewer onto the network.
    Have you got a brief guide / walk through on how you setup VNC whether it be through GPO or an ini file or whatever to only allow domain admins to connect and prompt the staff to allow a connection before it actually initiating the connection etc ?

Use LAN Desk at work ( paid for ) but although the user has to accept the connection is a pita because half the time if the user is on the phone / or away from said desk or not able to accept the connection and the connection drops out and you have to remote back on you can't because it times out after 20 seconds or so and then you can't continue to fix whatever issue(s) the user has reported. Only way to remote back on is to make sure said user is not logged on ie computer is at the logon screen in which case it allows you to remote straight on but you can't just remotely log a user off as they may have work they need saving etc.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 24th March 2012 at 05:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Only way to remote back on is to make sure said user is not logged on ie computer is at the logon screen in which case it allows you to remote straight on but you can't just remotely log a user off as they may have work they need saving etc.
    If you reset their password and they are allowed RDP you can take over their session

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    If you reset their password and they are allowed RDP you can take over their session
    If Only, I could try this but they are all on windows 7 and I think by default at work GPO has been set to disable RDP so may be a problem and still would be if I did this as I would get an ear bashing from both the end user and management above me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Have you got a brief guide / walk through on how you setup VNC whether it be through GPO or an ini file or whatever to only allow domain admins to connect and prompt the staff to allow a connection before it actually initiating the connection etc ?

Use LAN Desk at work ( paid for ) but although the user has to accept the connection is a pita because half the time if the user is on the phone / or away from said desk or not able to accept the connection and the connection drops out and you have to remote back on you can't because it times out after 20 seconds or so and then you can't continue to fix whatever issue(s) the user has reported. Only way to remote back on is to make sure said user is not logged on ie computer is at the logon screen in which case it allows you to remote straight on but you can't just remotely log a user off as they may have work they need saving etc.
    I created an MSI package following this guide here: How to Deploy VNC using Group Policy | Wayne Zimmerman's Blog

Thank Post
    Use Skeep VNC console it's really simple & free, integrates with AD and really easy to setup the VNC on the clients and deploy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    That for those reasons. Why anyone would add 3rd party software overhead is beyond me (the only reason I might use something else is for doing this between two machines that aren't in the same domain).
    If you're going to use RA...then I would strongly advise you get the latest Microsoft Critical patches rolled out to every device. Microsoft warns of RDP attack within next 30 days ? The Register

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    If you're going to use RA...then I would strongly advise you get the latest Microsoft Critical patches rolled out to every device. Microsoft warns of RDP attack within next 30 days ? The Register
    RA uses a different protocol to RDP over different ports so is probably not affected, besides those patches were out ages ago so most 'should' already have them installed. It also relies on someone inside your network running this exploit with their credentials to crash the target and that is probably unlikely and traceable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast