+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53
Windows 7 Thread, What does everyone use for VNC`ing into Windows 7 machines? in Technical; Originally Posted by sister_annex We cant put VNC out because of the lack of privacy it causes for staff using ...
  1. #16
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,659
    Thank Post
    383
    Thanked 273 Times in 225 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by sister_annex View Post
    We cant put VNC out because of the lack of privacy it causes for staff using the machines (they don't want us Technicians spying on them!). They don't like the fact that we could just view a screen without their knowledge. :/
    If you don't already have one, write up an AUP for staff which includes the school exercising it's right to monitor computers. If you do have one, check if it's in there, so long as they've signed it they don't have a leg to stand on.

    Alternatively get impero and setup the staff machines to require acceptance of remote viewing, surely they can't argue against that? (EDIT: never mind, possible with VNC too, though i've never used that)

  2. Thanks to mrbios from:

    sister_annex (23rd March 2012)

  3. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    1,679
    Thank Post
    122
    Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by sister_annex View Post
    We cant put VNC out because of the lack of privacy it causes for staff using the machines (they don't want us Technicians spying on them!). They don't like the fact that we could just view a screen without their knowledge. :/
    They are at work and your responsible for what goes on managing the network. I second the AUP suggestion then just do it. Emphasises the positives, faster remote support, rather than anything else.

    Given you have access to all their files, Emails and I presume you log all the internet traffic, what does it matter? Also who on earth has time to sit there watching people randomly? Do then genuinley believe they would? Leave the Head, HR and Bursar off if it makes them tetchy, but to be honest here I just did it and made it part of the general ICT support package.

    It's actually more frustrating for the few machines that I forgot to install it on!
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 23rd March 2012 at 11:59 AM.

  4. Thanks to Stuart_C from:

    sister_annex (23rd March 2012)

  5. #18

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by sister_annex View Post
    We cant put VNC out because of the lack of privacy it causes for staff using the machines (they don't want us Technicians spying on them!). They don't like the fact that we could just view a screen without their knowledge. :/
    You can also setup VNC to prompt for authorizing before allow connection I'm fairly sure. I don't thing Tight does that though. Maybe look at some of the free tools such as TeamViewer etc

  6. Thanks to glennda from:

    sister_annex (23rd March 2012)

  7. #19
    sister_annex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    616
    Thank Post
    103
    Thanked 144 Times in 125 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Maybe look at some of the free tools such as TeamViewer etc
    TeamViewer is not free for commercial is it?

    Thanks all, unfortunately I don't make policy - we are starting to use Remote assistance more with the Win 7 machines which does help - but usually its a walk to the room.

  8. #20

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by sister_annex View Post
    TeamViewer is not free for commercial is it?

    Thanks all, unfortunately I don't make policy - we are starting to use Remote assistance more with the Win 7 machines which does help - but usually its a walk to the room.
    I thought it was if you used it locally only but having just looked apparently not! Sorry!

  9. #21
    Chris_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    734
    Thank Post
    142
    Thanked 125 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    I thought that some of the staff would make a fuss when I rolled out VNC but so far they've only praised it! I only use it when I'm on the phone to them so they know that it's me connecting. Our UltraVNC package also only allow domain admins to connect to machines also providing some extra security in case a student managed to bring a VNC viewer onto the network.

  10. #22
    Duke5A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    859
    Thank Post
    88
    Thanked 154 Times in 124 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    36
    I use TightVNC 2.0.2 with Windows 7 32/64 and haven't had any issues with it. The only catch is you have to enable Secure Attention Sequence in Group Policy. This allows services to interact with the desktop, which will allow the TightVNC server service to unlock a workstation when you send a CTRL-ALT-DEL key sequence to it.

    For actually using TightVNC I didn't want to push out the server to all my clients so I wrote VB .Net app to handle this. It'll push out the server exe and DLL files to a temp directory on the target machine, create the registry keys for configuration settings, start/register the TightVNC server as a service, and connect the TightVNC client. Once the connection is closed it will go about cleaning up the registry keys and files from the target computer. Passwords are also randomly generated for every connection. It runs just like the original Gen Control did, but uses a newer version of VNC that supports Windows 7. The whole process is still a bit rough in spots though. Don't have much time anymore to undertake projects like this.
    Last edited by Duke5A; 23rd March 2012 at 02:16 PM.

  11. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,842
    Thank Post
    219
    Thanked 271 Times in 219 Posts
    Rep Power
    70
    Windows Remote Assistance, it's built in to windows and will ask the end user for perms before connection. GPO configurable and no need to deploy or update seperately.

  12. #24
    sister_annex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    616
    Thank Post
    103
    Thanked 144 Times in 125 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    I use TightVNC 2.0.2 with Windows 7 32/64 and haven't had any issues with it. The only catch is you have to enable Secure Attention Sequence in Group Policy. This allows services to interact with the desktop, which will allow the TightVNC server service to unlock a workstation when you send a CTRL-ALT-DEL key sequence to it.

    For actually using TightVNC I didn't want to push out the server to all my clients so I wrote VB .Net app to handle this. It'll push out the server exe and DLL files to a temp directory on the target machine, create the registry keys for configuration settings, start/register the TightVNC server as a service, and connect the TightVNC client. Once the connection is closed it will go about cleaning up the registry keys and files from the target computer. Passwords are also randomly generated for every connection. It runs just like the original Gen Control did, but uses a newer version of VNC that supports Windows 7. The whole process is still a bit rough in spots though. Don't have much time anymore to undertake projects like this.

    Ooohh any chance of the source for this?

  13. #25

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Posts
    912
    Thank Post
    202
    Thanked 80 Times in 74 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by sister_annex View Post
    We cant put VNC out because of the lack of privacy it causes for staff using the machines (they don't want us Technicians spying on them!). They don't like the fact that we could just view a screen without their knowledge. :/
    We use SCCM for Remote, within in SCCM you can set it so it asks for permission.

  14. #26

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    210
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    We use, you guessed it, VNC.

  15. #27

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    48
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    We use Skeep as well for our console interface since it has some nice tie ins to Active Directory. Also, I configured our VNC MSI using VNCed (you can get it at VNCed - Dev4WebApps) Works great and has lots of options to configure. We use to use the Bozteck VNC Console, but just recently went to Skeep and I have to say, I like it more for the way we use it as it seems to start up much faster and deploys UltraVNC faster as well. Really though, I love the VNCed program as it makes the MSI for you already configured. Definitely a great find...

  16. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    277
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    We use Dameware Remote Control - works fine with Windows 7 and XP alike

  17. #29

    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,198
    Thank Post
    321
    Thanked 314 Times in 219 Posts
    Rep Power
    125
    we use tightvnc along with LanView. Works very well. Just wish LanView would come back to the surface again. Was a great little program.

  18. #30
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,726
    Thank Post
    176
    Thanked 229 Times in 211 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    SCCM for us



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dyslexia screening software - what does everyone else use?
    By AngryTechnician in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th May 2011, 10:36 PM
  2. What Web Filtering Software does everyone use?
    By runcmd in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 2nd February 2010, 11:01 AM
  3. What do you use for Remote Support?
    By mossj in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 15th September 2009, 08:23 PM
  4. What do you use for video editing
    By tmcd35 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20th November 2008, 07:47 PM
  5. What do you use for your logon scripts.
    By Kyle in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13th October 2006, 08:54 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •