+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, What does everyone use for VNC`ing into Windows 7 machines? in Technical; Originally Posted by sister_annex We cant put VNC out because of the lack of privacy it causes for staff using ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sister_annex View Post
    We cant put VNC out because of the lack of privacy it causes for staff using the machines (they don't want us Technicians spying on them!). They don't like the fact that we could just view a screen without their knowledge. :/
    If you don't already have one, write up an AUP for staff which includes the school exercising it's right to monitor computers. If you do have one, check if it's in there, so long as they've signed it they don't have a leg to stand on.

Alternatively get impero and setup the staff machines to require acceptance of remote viewing, surely they can't argue against that? (EDIT: never mind, possible with VNC too, though i've never used that)

2. Thanks to mrbios from:

sister_annex (23rd March 2012)

Thank Post
    We cant put VNC out because of the lack of privacy it causes for staff using the machines (they don't want us Technicians spying on them!). They don't like the fact that we could just view a screen without their knowledge. :/
    They are at work and your responsible for what goes on managing the network. I second the AUP suggestion then just do it. Emphasises the positives, faster remote support, rather than anything else.

Given you have access to all their files, Emails and I presume you log all the internet traffic, what does it matter? Also who on earth has time to sit there watching people randomly? Do then genuinley believe they would? Leave the Head, HR and Bursar off if it makes them tetchy, but to be honest here I just did it and made it part of the general ICT support package.

It's actually more frustrating for the few machines that I forgot to install it on!
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 23rd March 2012 at 11:59 AM.

4. Thanks to Stuart_C from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    You can also setup VNC to prompt for authorizing before allow connection I'm fairly sure. I don't thing Tight does that though. Maybe look at some of the free tools such as TeamViewer etc

6. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Maybe look at some of the free tools such as TeamViewer etc
    TeamViewer is not free for commercial is it?

Thanks all, unfortunately I don't make policy - we are starting to use Remote assistance more with the Win 7 machines which does help - but usually its a walk to the room.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    TeamViewer is not free for commercial is it?

Thanks all, unfortunately I don't make policy - we are starting to use Remote assistance more with the Win 7 machines which does help - but usually its a walk to the room.
    I thought it was if you used it locally only but having just looked apparently not! Sorry!

Thank Post
    I thought that some of the staff would make a fuss when I rolled out VNC but so far they've only praised it! I only use it when I'm on the phone to them so they know that it's me connecting. Our UltraVNC package also only allow domain admins to connect to machines also providing some extra security in case a student managed to bring a VNC viewer onto the network.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use TightVNC 2.0.2 with Windows 7 32/64 and haven't had any issues with it. The only catch is you have to enable Secure Attention Sequence in Group Policy. This allows services to interact with the desktop, which will allow the TightVNC server service to unlock a workstation when you send a CTRL-ALT-DEL key sequence to it.

For actually using TightVNC I didn't want to push out the server to all my clients so I wrote VB .Net app to handle this. It'll push out the server exe and DLL files to a temp directory on the target machine, create the registry keys for configuration settings, start/register the TightVNC server as a service, and connect the TightVNC client. Once the connection is closed it will go about cleaning up the registry keys and files from the target computer. Passwords are also randomly generated for every connection. It runs just like the original Gen Control did, but uses a newer version of VNC that supports Windows 7. The whole process is still a bit rough in spots though. Don't have much time anymore to undertake projects like this.
    Last edited by Duke5A; 23rd March 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Windows Remote Assistance, it's built in to windows and will ask the end user for perms before connection. GPO configurable and no need to deploy or update seperately.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    I use TightVNC 2.0.2 with Windows 7 32/64 and haven't had any issues with it. The only catch is you have to enable Secure Attention Sequence in Group Policy. This allows services to interact with the desktop, which will allow the TightVNC server service to unlock a workstation when you send a CTRL-ALT-DEL key sequence to it.

For actually using TightVNC I didn't want to push out the server to all my clients so I wrote VB .Net app to handle this. It'll push out the server exe and DLL files to a temp directory on the target machine, create the registry keys for configuration settings, start/register the TightVNC server as a service, and connect the TightVNC client. Once the connection is closed it will go about cleaning up the registry keys and files from the target computer. Passwords are also randomly generated for every connection. It runs just like the original Gen Control did, but uses a newer version of VNC that supports Windows 7. The whole process is still a bit rough in spots though. Don't have much time anymore to undertake projects like this.

Ooohh any chance of the source for this?

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    We use SCCM for Remote, within in SCCM you can set it so it asks for permission.

Thank Post
    We use, you guessed it, VNC.

Thank Post
    We use Skeep as well for our console interface since it has some nice tie ins to Active Directory. Also, I configured our VNC MSI using VNCed (you can get it at VNCed - Dev4WebApps) Works great and has lots of options to configure. We use to use the Bozteck VNC Console, but just recently went to Skeep and I have to say, I like it more for the way we use it as it seems to start up much faster and deploys UltraVNC faster as well. Really though, I love the VNCed program as it makes the MSI for you already configured. Definitely a great find...

Thank Post
    We use Dameware Remote Control - works fine with Windows 7 and XP alike

Thank Post
    we use tightvnc along with LanView. Works very well. Just wish LanView would come back to the surface again. Was a great little program.

Thank Post
    SCCM for us

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast