Windows 7 Thread, VM-based Windows 7 mandatory profile method... thoughts? in Technical; Setting up mandatory profiles on our 7 test machines is proving to be "fun" as anyone who's experienced so far ...
22nd March 2012, 01:02 PM #1
VM-based Windows 7 mandatory profile method... thoughts?
Setting up mandatory profiles on our 7 test machines is proving to be "fun" as anyone who's experienced so far will testify
Although I've seen alternative methods initially I want to stick with the supported way, although even following the Microsoft guide I've changed the method slightly...
- Set up a VMware Gold image with all our software installed
- Snapshot the image before doing any customisations (or clone might be safer actually)
- Use one of the cloned images to capture the Gold image to SCCM, use the other for mandatory profile creation
- Make all profile changes as required
- Snapshot machine before starting Sysprep
- Run Sysprep with Copyprofile XML blah blah
- Once done, login as a local admin user and use the Copy To button on default profile
- Copy to C: drive (as copying to the network seems to be a right PITA when the source machine isn't on the domain)
- Take profile from C: of reference machine, place on network share. Check security to ensure it's inherited permissions from the profile share... if not replace security and owner with inherited settings
- Set profile location in AD and test
- When done revert the snapshot of the profile creation VM so we can make further customisations and run Sysprep again as and when required
There doesn't seem to be much reference online to doing it this way (saw one article using the same snapshot idea above) so I'm at the stage of wondering if it's a clever solution or a stupid one
Last edited by gshaw; 22nd March 2012 at 06:03 PM.
IDG Tech News
By MaXiM in forum Windows 7
Last Post: 15th March 2011, 09:24 AM
By burgemaster in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
Last Post: 18th November 2010, 12:09 PM
By pritchardavid in forum Windows
Last Post: 22nd November 2009, 07:00 PM
By NIKKI19 in forum Network and Classroom Management
Last Post: 19th May 2009, 03:20 PM
By Liam in forum How do you do....it?
Last Post: 16th April 2009, 11:26 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)